He's unhinged ... But ....

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Pears are high in sugar - if we gave to Grey Mare life would get very tricky (she not do well on sugar).

As others have said, both Alph A, the oil, and C&C can all have a negative effect on some horses.

His routine has changed - even though he seems fine with the new lad, it's a change to add into the change of less work. You have good reason for all but can't explain it to him unfortunately.

You'll find the thing as you care so much.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thank you all, I feel relief already just chatting with you guys. I think of myself as a pretty knowledgeable equestrian but its been nice just to not feel alone and to hear others thoughts. Thank you

I will drop the alfa alfa and look to maybe overhaul to an even more basic feed. The calm and condition definitely doesn't send him on a high (I wish when it comes to ridden work, lol!) I will speak with the vet about ulcers but im not convinced but wont rule it out.
@windand rain thank you, any suggestions on products i can look into please?

Quigleyandme ... I wish he ate mints, lol! He doesnt like them but he does get an apple or a pear with his feed everyday because they do free fruit at work and i always take one for him. Im guilty of being a total feeder and always give treats (unless they become rude then they dont get any)

Other than recently, with this behaviour, he comes in every evening for a 30 minute equilibrium massage pad, groom, feet etc. Once a week I might just throw him a feed and count four legs but usually its in for a fuss/ ride and out again.

Have you told off the newbie OTTB within his hearing perhaps and he mistakenly thinks HE is in trouble?

pistolpete

Visit site
Sounds like my shut down Highland. I found the more choice I gave him the more he chose to not be with me. Ridden he was polite if a little tense and occasionally too spooky to be enjoyable. There’s loads behaviourally you can do with him. I went down the clicker training route to get some interaction. Worked for us.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Have you told off the newbie OTTB within his hearing perhaps and he mistakenly thinks HE is in trouble?

I was wondering this, my little rescue pony (who was similar, shut down, very good under saddle, not keen on people) wouldn't come near me for a week after I told the dog off for rolling in something disgusting in his field. I wasn't anywhere near him and didn't hit the dog or anything but just the raised voice and annoyance was enough to set him off. He also had another patch of avoiding all humans that turned out to be a neighbours dog getting in the field and being called back harshly (dog wasn't near the horses, so I think it was more the neighbours hollering at it).

HeyMich

Visit site
My Irish mare has a very similar unknown past and also had a strange anxious episode about 6-8 months into owning her. There was no other reason to suspect ulcers, her coat was glossy, she had great condition, she was eating well etc, but we scoped her purely on a hunch and lo and behold, she had grade 2/3 squamous and glandular ulcers. Once treated, her silly behaviour totally stopped. Saying that, she can still stress and can be a complete idiot at times but I'm happy that that behaviour isn't related to pain.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Calm and condition for the last twelve months with a handful of chaff and for the last couple of months the chaff has been Alfa A Oil ... Cant remember when i introduced that though to be honest and its a handful once a day and the bin is nearly empty so maybe two months ago?

I dont know much about ulcers other than a change in routine/ feed etc can cause them but his routine hasnt really changed but its certainly food for thought, thank you

I haven't read much of the thread since my last post and probably many others have said this already: I would remove the alfalfa from his diet, immediately. Many horses react badly to alfalfa.

canteron

Visit site
Slightly different tack, but my RID mares attitude changed 100% when I started doing some ‘Liberty’ work with her, she absolutely loved it and I think it strangely made her feel really secure.
Maybe try teaching him a few ‘tricks’ to see how he feels about it. TRT, Ben Hart, connection training, David Lichman and many others all have places to start.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
One other thought... Have you changed your after shave or anything?

I had a horse who could not abide the smell of alcohol. I was amazed at his reaction. First time, I had a Sunday lunch with some wine, went out to do afternoon stables and he acted as if I were lava. I am talking really nervous, and no, I wouldn't say I was drunk or acting in a drunken way.

It was inconvenient as he lived at home and I would often like a glass of wine at night, then do evening stables at 9pm!

It took ages to get him over it.

honetpot

Visit site
I think everyone has covered most things, but sometimes when turnout changes, the horse perhaps sees their role differently. He now may think he has to be vigilant because now he is herd leader. I had an Irish mare from about two, she was a cow, always wanted to be boss over the geldings, but couldn't cope with the stress, she would move others on constantly, never happy. Her son is pretty much the same, if there is no one more dominant than him. I bought a couple of old Irish brood mares, one was a mess head wise, but the other just had to flick an ear, and everything fell in to place, and the cow bag did as she was told. The young mare just settled.
I think every 'herd' needs an old pony, something that doesn't give a f, about most things, and can get out of the way if there is trouble.

EllieBeast

Visit site
I’m so sorry to hear you’re having these issues with your boy. If the Alfa A is a new thing that fits the timescale- I’d take him off it. My usually very calm, level headed mare is a total knob on any form of alfalfa! Some horses are totally intolerant to it.

Good luck, I really hope it is that simple! It sounds like he’s finally found the home he deserves, between you, you’ll sort this ?

Ceriann

Visit site
Lots of great advice here already. I have a charity mare - super sweet but anxious and I suspect hasn’t been treated well in the past. She’s bottom of herd type temperament, timid and changes in what’s important to her routine can upset her. She’s not ridden. When I introduced my ridden mare to the then herd of two she couldn’t cope. Absolutely fine as a herd (they settled v quickly) but bringing in and turning out was almost dangerous. I couldn’t control her so had to bridle her for my own safety. It took weeks for her to return to anything close to normal but she did. It might just be his way of saying my routine has changed, something big in my life has changed and I need time to work it out.

Dynamo

Visit site
OP, he sounds just like our now elderly Irish RID ex-hirling. He was exactly the same when he arrived: a bit shut down, very polite to handle, but not at all affectionate, wouldn't accept a mint or a treat, and permanently worried although extremely mannerly to ride. It took a while, but he learned to be a member of the family as well as a work horse.

Nowadays, if he's ridden regularly, even if living out, he's fine, but if not we can't get near him and he's always on high alert. Once the headcollar is on he's Mr Manners again, but honestly, you'd think we beat him if you saw him scarper and us having to herd him into a small space to get near him. He's still extremely sensitive and can fret about changes, but we have a wonderful understanding because he is sensitive in good ways as well as some slightly unnerving ways. He's turned out to be the horse of a lifetime.

Give him some time. And no Alfalfa.

Lois Lame

Visit site
My first thought was uh oh, fireworks, but I really think it's the Alfa stuff. I only know one horse who couldn't handle it and I'm not even sure about her because her owner was a ... an interesting sort of person.

But, the thing is, it'll be the easiest thing in the world to cut the Alfa and I know you've said you will. First things first and it might fix everything completely in a little while. (I don't know how long it 'takes' to 'leave the system' or anything but see how he is in a fortnight or two.)

He looked so happy with his new friend - surely it's not that. You sound like a wonderful owner.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Hopefully it's the alfalfa, mine cannot cope with it at all. I think he probably hallucinates with the reaction I see. Definitely horse eating monsters everywhere! He's absolutely fine on calm and condition ?. Horses are weird. I also wanted to say that it is possible he'll relax more with you , it took over two years for mine to decide I'm trustworthy and start to show some affection. I didn't hear a noise out of him for about 3years. He's now able to cope with me telling him off (still relatively gently!) And even has the confidence to ignore me and push his luck. He will still have a melt down with any rough handling from anyone he doesn't know/trust and will always be a delicate flower but he's much happier with his life now.... 5years after I got him!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
He sounds like he could be grass affected ! If you Google this with 'Calm Healthy Horses ' you'll get what I mean. Basically the ratios of salt , potassium and magnesium are out. My boy does so much better without grass or on little grass, he is calmer and more settled wien stabled more and gets salt and magnesium daily.
He also arrived very nervous and clearly not having had a nice life before- a year down the line he's a different horse but very much a mummy's boy and doesn't trust strangers but will do anything for me and I can do anything to/with him.
But too much grass will affect his behaviour.

Antw23uk

Visit site
OP, he sounds just like our now elderly Irish RID ex-hirling. He was exactly the same when he arrived: a bit shut down, very polite to handle, but not at all affectionate, wouldn't accept a mint or a treat, and permanently worried although extremely mannerly to ride. It took a while, but he learned to be a member of the family as well as a work horse.

Nowadays, if he's ridden regularly, even if living out, he's fine, but if not we can't get near him and he's always on high alert. Once the headcollar is on he's Mr Manners again, but honestly, you'd think we beat him if you saw him scarper and us having to herd him into a small space to get near him. He's still extremely sensitive and can fret about changes, but we have a wonderful understanding because he is sensitive in good ways as well as some slightly unnerving ways. He's turned out to be the horse of a lifetime.

Give him some time. And no Alfalfa.

@Dynamo all the advise has been wonderful but this, this has really hit a note because you have just described my horse.
@Sossigpoker funnily enough i haven't been adding salt to his diet for a few weeks because i ran out and only had a twisty scrunchy salt thing (I know, technical description or what, lol!) and the moisture got to it so i couldnt get the salt out. Salt was one of the things i added to his diet not long after i got him and back then i swore it made a difference but had forgotten all about it, thank you :)

Guys thank you all, i think each of you have pretty much described my horse and given me an idea of what i might be (the list is endless, lol, i knew it would/ could be) And THANK YOU for saying such kind things about me as an owner. I have my moments but i have a real fondness for this boy. We needed each other this time last year and its difficult to explain other than I think we were truly meant to meet and help each other out of a dark place. I'd forgotten about that and needed a reminder as to why i genuinely love him.

It absolutely could be me shouting at the dog or pulling the baby TB into check (babies just get bloody everywhere don't they, lol!) which i know triggers him, so combined with the change in herd, the feed, the dark nights and my head being more focused on the baby and lack of riding, all this has got his brain overthinking and its just escalated to this that we have today!

I'm Dun

Visit site
@Dynamo all the advise has been wonderful but this, this has really hit a note because you have just described my horse.
@Sossigpoker funnily enough i haven't been adding salt to his diet for a few weeks because i ran out and only had a twisty scrunchy salt thing (I know, technical description or what, lol!) and the moisture got to it so i couldnt get the salt out. Salt was one of the things i added to his diet not long after i got him and back then i swore it made a difference but had forgotten all about it, thank you :)

If you've dropped the salt and added alfa you have probably created the perfect storm. Its mainly due to potassium and magnesium. So stop the alfa, add the salt and add some mag ox. I think you will see a change for the better.

I'd also second clicker training. I did it with my old shut down boy and it really helped something click in his head.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would start hacking him out again each day and see if he is happier again.

I've attached a pic of how I pretty much see my horses Monday-Friday at the moment. Hacking every day is not an option, hahaa :) I will start working him again at wekeends though, recently we've just been working on seperation from the baby so always staying close to the yard (the usual, hiding behind stables/ bushes etc to see if the baby TB tries to hang himself or die on the post and rail .. thankfully he doesnt care) So i will get him out and about for some nice hacks as well as all the other great tips, thank you :)

Attachments

• Zeus dark.jpeg
    Zeus dark.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 44

Sossigpoker

Visit site
@Sossigpoker funnily enough i haven't been adding salt to his diet for a few weeks because i ran out and only had a twisty scrunchy salt thing (I know, technical description or what, lol!) and the moisture got to it so i couldnt get the salt out. Salt was one of the things i added to his diet not long after i got him and back then i swore it made a difference but had forgotten all about it, thank yo

You need about a table spoon of salt (cheap table salt is fine)twice a day. But at the same time you will want him off grass (especially if there is clover ) , off any alfalfa and with added magnesium. His potassium levels are probably way too high so you will need a period of time to balance them.
In the spring my gelding had a period of being batshit crazy , super nervous and spooky , trying to bolt , proper mental , reducing his grass worked wonders together with temporarily increasing his salt and magnesium.
He also goes unlevel behind with too much grass.

windand rain

Visit site
You need about a table spoon of salt (cheap table salt is fine)twice a day. But at the same time you will want him off grass (especially if there is clover ) , off any alfalfa and with added magnesium. His potassium levels are probably way too high so you will need a period of time to balance them.
In the spring my gelding had a period of being batshit crazy , super nervous and spooky , trying to bolt , proper mental , reducing his grass worked wonders together with temporarily increasing his salt and magnesium.
He also goes unlevel behind with too much grass.
Just a naive question but what do you feed him as Hay is grass grassnuts by definition are grass grass chaff is grass so if you don't feed alfalfa and you don't feed grass what do you feed. I understand that your grazing might be unbalanced but it is that not the grass that are the problem in some areas espeially in winter

SEL

Visit site
If feed changes don't work then it really could be the new horse. For my dominant mare it doesn't actually have to be a new horse in her field, anything adjacent can cause just as much stress. I think she can't work out the pecking order and until that's established she's vile to be around.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've attached a pic of how I pretty much see my horses Monday-Friday at the moment. Hacking every day is not an option, hahaa :) I will start working him again at wekeends though, recently we've just been working on seperation from the baby so always staying close to the yard (the usual, hiding behind stables/ bushes etc to see if the baby TB tries to hang himself or die on the post and rail .. thankfully he doesnt care) So i will get him out and about for some nice hacks as well as all the other great tips, thank you :)

OMG, adorable ears!!!!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Working horses in Ireland can have a pretty hard life. I met a man who has a hotel and a trekking operation who invited me to come on a hack. The horse was being ridden when I arrived. We went on a three and a half hour hack along steep mountain tracks and when we got back somebody else got on him. While I was riding him he stopped and tried to suck up some water from a puddle. I was told to boot him on which I refused to do. He wasn’t allowed to drink when we got back to the yard even though I told the YM he was thirsty. It was a really distressing and dispiriting experience. The owner had always talked about his horses with such passion but welfare clearly wasn‘t a priority. I’ve only been here two years but this is a bit of a theme. More than one passionate horse breeder has expressed wonderment that I go to the Herculean bother of trying to make my horses’ lives as comfortable, content and healthy as possible and some stories my farrier tells me make me so upset. Maybe OP’s horse is just decompressing but he is in very good hands.