HHO virtual clinic week 5a + b

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I dont compete and mainly hack however YO's only lockdown rule is no hacking so I've been having to use the school so these along with the equi sense app that has execises on are helping reduce the boredom slightly

I really liked the 2 circles at M k f and h then circle at b and e in the opposite direction from I think it was 2 weeks ago I then did it in canter but with only 1 circle at each letter some of the jump in the canter i got was so good and made for excellent changes he's bad for predicting them and trying to overrule me and then often cant get the full change as hes got his legs in a muddle. Here he had never done the exercise so couldn't predict nor could he bowl along and take charge.

I'll try the canter ones later and maybe the hexagon on the turns do you just turn, do a pirouette or a turn on the forehand?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'll try the canter ones later and maybe the hexagon on the turns do you just turn, do a pirouette or a turn on the forehand?
I think you can do either a normal turn or a turn on the haunches/piri type steps. TBH I found just turning to be very valuable as riding a defined angle in the turn from one straight line to another really made me get control of the outside of the horse in a way that circles don't always. In the canter mine offered more like piri steps but that's because we have done exercises similar to this prior to starting working piris.
Personally I wouldn't do TOF in this exercise mainly because it's about being able to move the front of the horse around over the hindlegs, but there's no reason why you couldn't if you wanted to.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I found that to get turn on the haunches, directly from LY, I had to sort of bump my (admittedly green) mare from off my inside leg to my outside. A defined turn seemed a fairer and more progressive exercise.

Of course, it may be easier with a horse who is less black and white about stuff, more established, or working in a bigger and more even area*.

(*I know I'm pulling the "wonky field" excuse a lot. It's not an excuse for our uselessness - I'm owning that - just a reason why I'm unwilling to push the mare and risk her slipping and scaring herself through no real fault of her own!)

Sprat

Visit site
I did the canter - trot - canter exercise last night. It was good fun, and Bean got to grips with it very quickly. It has helped the sticky transition that appeared in the snowman exercise which was a happy accident.

No video as I was in the outdoor so nowhere to put my phone. I'll try the hexagon when I'm next in the indoor as the mirrors will help hugely.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Ok so first attempts didn't go well as Skylla got herself thoroughly overexcited as there were jumps out.... However, the hexagon exercise was great for getting my leg on and not letting her woosh off, especially in the walk. We came back to it a few times to re-instate order lol. Walk and trot it was great, but she's not ready for it in canter yet, I think I'm going to do some canter spirals with her instead to try and get some softness rather than zooming!

Snowman exercise was a little hit and miss, started off ridiculous even by Skylla's standards. Settled with really praising the trotting when it happened, though canter remained against my hand... I do think though it will be a good exercise without the jumps distracting her, though getting her to work around the jumps calmly is still a useful thing to work on. Couple of videos for you, please be kind I know what the issues are.

Though if people have any magic cures for getting an overly het up horse to breathe and relax in the canter I'm all ears, I think I'm going to be the unpopular person on the yard and move the jumps when I want to school....

tatty_v

Visit site
We tried the hexagon exercise this morning after warming up using the kindergarten exercise from week 1, the flexion exercise and the shoulder in exercises (forgot which weeks those were!) It went really well in walk, we got some good leg crossing which we haven’t had for a while, so I was chuffed to bits.

In trot it sort of turned into diamond shapes as he just isn’t quick enough to get straight and listen after the turn before the next one comes up ? not sure at 20 that’ll change much but we will persevere!

Any tips on how to ride the turns more smoothly would be really appreciated as these felt a bit lumpy and I might have been a bit guilty of too much rein action...

milliepops

Visit site
Though if people have any magic cures for getting an overly het up horse to breathe and relax in the canter I'm all ears, I think I'm going to be the unpopular person on the yard and move the jumps when I want to school....

tbh I would do that for now HP, in the long run it will be helpful for her to work around them nicely and maybe something to chip away at on a not-cantering day, but it might be one of those things that you need to take the line of least resistance on at the moment?

I can't stand schooling around jumps, it makes it difficult to be accurate about shapes and stuff so add in a horse that finds it all a bit whooo hooo and you're setting yourself up for extra difficulty.

eta, I think the accuracy of the shapes is as important as the transitions with these ones, easier said than done I know! but for instance the horse accepting it has to do a round circle of a prescribed shape is giving you the mind-control as much as the transitions between paces ;)

milliepops

Visit site
Any tips on how to ride the turns more smoothly would be really appreciated as these felt a bit lumpy and I might have been a bit guilty of too much rein action...
which rein?
for me this was a lot about the outside rein and with a less established/trained horse I would not be too concerned about it feeling lumpy to start with so long as you were both getting the understanding of what was needed. this exercise really highlights control of the outside of the horse, and there is nowhere to hide really - the only way it starts to feel easy is when you really have the horse connected I think.

if you have a bigger area then you could break it down a bit so it becomes less intense, so sort of turn, straight 3 strides, LY 3 strides, straight 3 strides then turn. That might give you more time to prepare each element, although it will still happen quite quickly. Or just do half of the hexagon and join the ends up with a half circle.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
tbh I would do that for now HP, in the long run it will be helpful for her to work around them nicely and maybe something to chip away at on a not-cantering day, but it might be one of those things that you need to take the line of least resistance on at the moment?

I can't stand schooling around jumps, it makes it difficult to be accurate about shapes and stuff so add in a horse that finds it all a bit whooo hooo and you're setting yourself up for extra difficulty.

eta, I think the accuracy of the shapes is as important as the transitions with these ones, easier said than done I know! but for instance the horse accepting it has to do a round circle of a prescribed shape is giving you the mind-control as much as the transitions between paces ;)

Definitely, she was just too distracted at the thought of hooning off over jumps, I'm happy we managed some obedience but I would have liked to have worked on the suppleness and softness too... Always feel bad moving them which is bonkers as I'm currently the only one working full time hours lol! I'd go in the field but the ground is rock hard at the moment. Ah well there is always another day and I guess we had some positives, well if you squint a bit...

milliepops

Visit site
Definitely, she was just too distracted at the thought of hooning off over jumps, I'm happy we managed some obedience but I would have liked to have worked on the suppleness and softness too... Always feel bad moving them which is bonkers as I'm currently the only one working full time hours lol! I'd go in the field but the ground is rock hard at the moment. Ah well there is always another day and I guess we had some positives, well if you squint a bit...
what size is the school? looks huge from this angle but accept that may be deceiving! could they compromise by having jumps down one side for a bit?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
what size is the school? looks huge from this angle but accept that may be deceiving! could they compromise by having jumps down one side for a bit?

It's a 50 x 30 so a lovely size (if 10m too short :p), might ask, I'm rubbish at this feel like I'm putting people out...

tatty_v

Visit site
which rein?
for me this was a lot about the outside rein and with a less established/trained horse I would not be too concerned about it feeling lumpy to start with so long as you were both getting the understanding of what was needed. this exercise really highlights control of the outside of the horse, and there is nowhere to hide really - the only way it starts to feel easy is when you really have the horse connected I think.

if you have a bigger area then you could break it down a bit so it becomes less intense, so sort of turn, straight 3 strides, LY 3 strides, straight 3 strides then turn. That might give you more time to prepare each element, although it will still happen quite quickly. Or just do half of the hexagon and join the ends up with a half circle.

I think I needed more outside rein and more outside leg/knee to move the shoulders across in the turn rather than the (very tempting!) inside rein? Tricky as he started to anticipate the leg yield and kept merrily zooming sideways, with me going “stop stop stop I only wanted three steps and now we need to turn!” I quite like the idea of adding in some straights just to give us both time to breathe and think. We’re in a field so plenty of space ?

Wheels

Visit site
I tried the hexagon again in walk and trot and it was much better. I had to make the trot quite small though so I think I will try again but using squares or diamonds as per the poster above.

milliepops

Visit site
I think I needed more outside rein and more outside leg/knee to move the shoulders across in the turn rather than the (very tempting!) inside rein? Tricky as he started to anticipate the leg yield and kept merrily zooming sideways, with me going “stop stop stop I only wanted three steps and now we need to turn!” I quite like the idea of adding in some straights just to give us both time to breathe and think. We’re in a field so plenty of space ?
Yeah if he's anticipating then I think I would do alternate straight, turn, LY,turn so it doesn't just decide he knows what's going on, and waits for instructions :D (with the leg yield bit well organised with straight steps either side )

eta, you could also LY into the centre a few steps to really make him wait and think.

Definitely try to turn more from the outside rein, if you think about the turn being more like a turn on the haunches it might help you to focus on the outside aids instead of inside rein?

Wheels

Visit site
Though if people have any magic cures for getting an overly het up horse to breathe and relax in the canter I'm all ears

I put M to work when he gets het up like that, small circle alternating between normal circle line, shoulder fore / shoulder in and travers by using seat not legs and a forward release of the hand. The size of the circle depends on how fast he wants to go, the faster he wants to go, the smaller the circle then I can release the hand and he cant piss off :) that usually knackers him out in quite a short period of time and then he behaves.

Sprat

Visit site
She's a buzzy little thing isn't she HP! Looks like a great fun little pocket rocket to ride, I wish mine had some of her enthusiasm for life!

McFluff

Visit site
HP your first video is way better than I achieved tonight. And I didn’t even have the excuse of jumps. We were just way too bouncy tonight. Not sure why we had so much energy.
I ended up doing a lot of counter canter while asking for trot (And we don’t really do counter canter yet!). And he was getting sillier so I downgraded to trotting the body and walking the head.
Managed a hexagon in walk, then decided tonight was not the night so did some long walks to calm the head. Got to love a pocket rocket!

Kat

Visit site
I had a play with some of these exercises last night.

First up was the hexagon in walk, our leg yield is pretty good so the three steps sideways on each straight was easy enough. The turn about the haunches was a good way of ensuring you don't lose the outside shoulder although we did get a bit stuck once or twice especially on the left rein, and then she starts to squirm and we don't get a recognisable turn just a fidget sideways. It was better to the right.

I didn't try in trot but the walk exercise certainly helped her feel more together afterwards.

We then tried the snowman. It went better than expected, we both really liked this exercise. It really helped get a decent trot after a canter which is an ongoing issue, whilst also putting a bit more bounce into the canter. I found it slightly easier when we trotted left and cantered right. A great exercise that will become a staple I think.

Finally we tried the leg yeild to canter. I'm not sure this is a great one for us. The leg yeild got pretty rushed and against the hand as she started to anticipate canter, although the canter was pretty good.

Finished off trotting some big shapes and enjoying how lovely it felt after our hard work.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I put M to work when he gets het up like that, small circle alternating between normal circle line, shoulder fore / shoulder in and travers by using seat not legs and a forward release of the hand. The size of the circle depends on how fast he wants to go, the faster he wants to go, the smaller the circle then I can release the hand and he cant piss off :) that usually knackers him out in quite a short period of time and then he behaves.

Will give it a go thanks, she's just starting to get strong enough to do more 'work' and smaller circles so I'm hoping it will help teach her some woah!

She's a buzzy little thing isn't she HP! Looks like a great fun little pocket rocket to ride, I wish mine had some of her enthusiasm for life!

Oh just a tad, I do sometimes dream of something that needs a good kick to get going.... It can be a little wearing when all you want is some simple work and all she wants to do is tap dance the hokey-cokey whilst pulling your arms out!

HP your first video is way better than I achieved tonight. And I didn’t even have the excuse of jumps. We were just way too bouncy tonight. Not sure why we had so much energy.
I ended up doing a lot of counter canter while asking for trot (And we don’t really do counter canter yet!). And he was getting sillier so I downgraded to trotting the body and walking the head.
Managed a hexagon in walk, then decided tonight was not the night so did some long walks to calm the head. Got to love a pocket rocket!

Ah you've all made me feel better, was feeling quite down about her and thinking I'm not really good enough to ride her really. Will man up and carry on :).

DressageCob

Visit site
Does anyone use a Pivo for filming schooling sessions? I'm getting tempted but not sure if it is worth the money. How do you all film what you're doing?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Does anyone use a Pivo for filming schooling sessions? I'm getting tempted but not sure if it is worth the money. How do you all film what you're doing?

I think there are a couple of people who have ordered one on here, I just stick my phone on a tripod on the fence, doesn't get a lot in but gives me something to watch back at least.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've heard reasonable things about them on the online dressage page but not used one

milliepops

Visit site
I have got one ordered and supposedly on the way ... I just put my camera on the fence/tripod at the moment and try to angle it to get as much in as possible. I'm videoing most of my schooling sessions at the moment to try and teach myself while there are no lessons, it's grim but better than nothing!

Wheels

Visit site
Looking forward to the write up MP! I've been hanging my nose over one for the last few weeks but just gonna wait for some non biased reviews before I bite the bullet lol

Roxylola

Visit site
No video - sorry. But phew that hexagon! Walk and trot was ok, it fits just nicely in our square arena, canter was harder. Right rein was ok as long as I accept that it sort of rotated a bit every time otherwise we ran out of space. It was ideal though for just enough leg yield that he didn't want to go unbalanced and throw in a change, could feel it there brewing lol.
Left rein canter just really highlighted that the left canter is a bit rubbish at the moment, so we went away did some walk piris, some shoulder in some changes of bend then had another go and sort of managed a diamond shape so 4 sides not 6 but the feel was there. Really enjoyed it and found it's very good at kind of getting him nice and equal between both reins and both legs.
My abs and back are less convinced they enjoyed it lol

Roxylola

Visit site
Just to add (mainly for myself) this is a horse who didn't have a left canter in November 2019, didn't have a reliable canter transition either way in December 2019, and here I am grumbling that we've lost a bit of quality

milliepops

Visit site
Just to add (mainly for myself) this is a horse who didn't have a left canter in November 2019, didn't have a reliable canter transition either way in December 2019, and here I am grumbling that we've lost a bit of quality
always important to look where you've come from now and then, not just look where you want to get to. I had a bit of a reality check with that this week, feeling like I was stuck on a plateau, but actually we have climbed a bit of a hill after all ;)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
So we tried schooling again, I moved more jumps out of the way and insisted on slow, nothing else just slow. Then slow with bend, then slow with transitions and she was much better! Adapted the snowman exercise so we did lots more canter circles with some spiraling in and out before the trot circle, we don't need to work on the acuteness of the transition as such but more the smoothness through the transitions. I think it helped overall, she's not great with lots of things one after another as it gets her hotter and there is no tiring her out, so I think giving her time to process each movement might be key for her?