HHO's "Bear" project pony...

Michen

Visit site
I'm puzzled that you don't already know whether he looks sound or not, M, but good luck for the scan today.

Because I'm not a vet and I can't see very minor lameness- which is all it's ever been? I think it's fairly evident that most average horse owners can't spot minor lameness... especially when you see the posts on here where everyone disagrees on which leg :D

Of course he "looks" sound, but he always has to the untrained eye.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Because I'm not a vet and I can't see very minor lameness- which is all it's ever been? I think it's fairly evident that most average horse owners can't spot minor lameness... especially when you see the posts on here where everyone disagrees on which leg :D

Of course he "looks" sound, but he always has to the untrained eye.

OK but then your previous post really puzzles me. Surely you aren't contemplating putting a horse down which has a lameness so slight you can't see it?

Michen

Visit site
OK but then your previous post really puzzles me. Surely you aren't contemplating putting a horse down which has a lameness so slight you can't see it?

ycbm I really don't need to justify the level of lameness, the consistency, my potential options for this horse if he's not sound after rest/treatment/rehab etc.

But yes, putting a horse down that was consistently 2/10 lame despite all of the above as a 5 year old would be a strong consideration to me- because his chances of a useful working future are pretty slim at that point.

ycbm

Visit site
OK, thanks for the additional information. I would expect most experienced horse owners to be able to see 2/10 lame, so that clarifies things a lot, the lameness is visible by an expert.

No of course you don't need to justify yourself, but given that you posted that you would PTS when no lameness was visible, I thought it was a fair question. I'm sorry if it upset you.

I hope it goes well today.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
OK, thanks for the additional information. I would expect most experienced horse owners to be able to see 2/10 lame, so that clarifies things a lot.

No of course you don't need to justify yourself, but given that you posted that you would PTS when no lameness was visible, I thought it was a fair question. I'm sorry if it upset you.

I hope it goes well today.

Lol, no I can't. I don't think many people can either. Boggle was 3/10 lame after canter work with his injury, not one instructor out of the many that saw him could see it. And that includes instructors who train the previous world champion..

My vet describes 1/10 lame as being inconsistent and not every stride. 2/10 lame is as minor as it gets but is every stride. I don't think it's unusual to not be able to see that as an average owner.

For me what I need to see with Bear is progress, that after 8 weeks of walk work he is getting better not worse. As combined with the perfectly healed lesion that would be a great sign that he's going in the right direction. If he's worse, after being put under very little pressure, IMO that's not a horse that's likely to stay sound in the future whatever is done.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Hope it's good news today M.

If not, Bear has a big fanclub here and you might find someone willing to take him on even with an uncertain future.

I really hope he's fixed though and will be keeping everything crossed for you.

Michen

Visit site
Even the competition (dressage) judges here can't see lameness, so don't feel bad ? plus some people will say everyone else's horse is lame, or he looks sore here or there, but can't/don't even look at their own horses :D

Best of luck to you and Bear today.

Indeed- most people I know have no idea when the vet declares their horse 1/2/3 even 4 tenths lame. Especially in a hind limb.

Otherwise we wouldn't need vets for those niggly not quite right horses :D

Thanks CC xx

ycbm

Visit site
For me what I need to see with Bear is progress, that after 8 weeks of walk work he is getting better not worse.

I completely understand that concern. I'm sorry I was confused by what seemed a sudden suggestion of PTS. I hope you get good news today.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
So throwing my arms around my vet wasn’t my finest moment. But hey he knows me well so ?

Bear is sound and my god what a journey it’s been and £££ and disappointment to get him here. He’s pass a vetting sound. Obviously we need to see how he stands up to proper work but we will be taking it slow and he won’t be cantering until 2022 to be cautious.

What’s even more lovely is my vet said even if he was a companion or walk hack only sound he’d have a queue of people he knows willing to take him because he’s such a lovely person and so gentle.

So I am super excited to full loan him to a brilliant friend who initially shared Bog. She’s been there through all the highs and lows of them both and loves them dearly, he will be her number one and he stays on the yard with Bog and I see him every day.

Happy happy happy ?

Michen

Visit site
Thsnks all. So happy he can be someone's number 1 but I still get to kiss his lovely nose!

He really is the most gentle, happy sweet boy but not without quirks albiet very rare so I did giggle a bit with what my vet said and promptly showed a photo of him doing a gigantic buck out hacking the other day (he keeps his head in the air so never unseating whatsoever) :D

Michen

Visit site
Thanks all. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't with a tiny tinge of sadness to hand him over because I really do love riding him BUT I don't have the time or need for two horses and Boggle is my absolute soulmate. And I'll still get to ride him when we do swapsies.

Plus, what horse like him doesn't deserve to be the love of someone's horsey life.