Hi viz plea - even in the sun

Burnerbee

Visit site
I don’t really ride anymore but that doesn’t stop me worrying about horse and riders on the roads.

As a driver, can I make a plea for riders to please check, if you’re riding on roads in winter to ensure you AND your horse have some hi viz on, even on a sunny day like this.

Yesterday I came down a lane at dusk - one that I try to avoid because it’s dangerous at anytime, but especially rush hour because of the crazy van rat runners (that’s not me - very sensible Saab driver I am). Came up to a lady with hi viz coat and horse with hi viz sheet over its bum - no problem seeing her from behind (even if I question her sanity!), but you couldn’t see her from the front - I checked my rear view as a car came towards her (horse had high head carriage).

Today, same lane, bright sun, two separate riders both wearing neutral clothes, riding cobs, ambling along (so not eye catching at all) - seriously, in the watery sunlight they just blended into the hedgerows, very hard to see them (and I was wearing my glasses!).

A hi viz noseband, breastplate, tail streamers, boots - doesn’t matter, but something, please! pretty please!

Wishfilly

Visit site
To be honest, I have to say the riders around here are all very good. However, I see a number of dog walkers walking down unlit lanes with no pavements in low light in dark clothing with dark coloured dogs. It is often very difficult to see where the dog is, and it makes me worry that if a dog suddenly got away from the owner, I could hit them.

I agree that low winter sun makes it very hard to see- I'm actually not sure how much hi-vis helps because the drivers are often just blinded. In these sorts of conditions, I do think it's also on the drivers to drive slowly and carefully to avoid a collision.

Also, with the lady wearing a hi-viz coat, I am very surprised that couldn't be seen at all from the front...

Cloball

Visit site
@Wishfilly there's been numerous pics and comments on here lately about tabards in particular not being visible from the front. I find faded yellow particularly blends in which is why I deck out in orange.

I could hand a big thank you sign on the lane to the yard for all the dog walkers who are uniformly dressed in high Viz with flashing lights on their dogs. Cyclists on the other hand 🤷

Lois Lame

Visit site
I could hand a big thank you sign on the lane to the yard for all the dog walkers who are uniformly dressed in high Viz with flashing lights on their dogs. Cyclists on the other hand 🤷
Yes, flashing lights are brilliant. I think the only time they won't get noticed is if heading into the blinding sun when it's low.

High vis is nowhere near as good as flashing lights.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Totally agree with the high head carriage obscuring the chest but if wearing a coat the sleeves should be visible. I wear pink hi viz coat and yellow exercise sheet but I rarely ride on roads and never when the sun is in the direction I’m heading in

maya2008

Visit site
My sharers and kids went out riding today, came back about 4.10pm so dusk. All wearing tabards, nothing on the ponies. It was like a blaze of fluorescent yellow when I saw them coming down the road, no problem at all seeing them from the front!

Is the problem that people’s tabards aren’t clean? Or not done up in front?

fidleyspromise

Visit site

Sorry the pics are isolated but you can see how depending on where the horses head is can depend on how quickly a driver will be able to see them if at all. The last one imagine the horses don't have as much hi viz on as they do.

I just got a pink coat and my OH said that he could see me much easier than when I had my yellow hi viz on. He was on a hill looking down in to the trees. I need to dig out my hi viz for pony as I've been lax in putting that on.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I don’t really ride anymore but that doesn’t stop me worrying about horse and riders on the roads.

As a driver, can I make a plea for riders to please check, if you’re riding on roads in winter to ensure you AND your horse have some hi viz on, even on a sunny day like this.

Yesterday I came down a lane at dusk - one that I try to avoid because it’s dangerous at anytime, but especially rush hour because of the crazy van rat runners (that’s not me - very sensible Saab driver I am). Came up to a lady with hi viz coat and horse with hi viz sheet over its bum - no problem seeing her from behind (even if I question her sanity!), but you couldn’t see her from the front - I checked my rear view as a car came towards her (horse had high head carriage).

Today, same lane, bright sun, two separate riders both wearing neutral clothes, riding cobs, ambling along (so not eye catching at all) - seriously, in the watery sunlight they just blended into the hedgerows, very hard to see them (and I was wearing my glasses!).

A hi viz noseband, breastplate, tail streamers, boots - doesn’t matter, but something, please! pretty please!
I keep saying this over and over, a tabard on its own is not enough from the front, as obscured by head and neck. Hear and see people all the time saying I just wear tabard, but if you part company the horse has nothing.

gallopingby

Visit site
My sharers and kids went out riding today, came back about 4.10pm so dusk. All wearing tabards, nothing on the ponies. It was like a blaze of fluorescent yellow when I saw them coming down the road, no problem at all seeing them from the front!

It’s fine for people to see tabards etc but please remember your ponies! Supposing you part company and there’s nothing on the horses?? It’s also much easier to notice if the jockey has a hat cam or high viz headband and the ponies have leg boots and rugs.A mix of yellow orange and pink also works well.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

From the rear, you can see a tabard. From the front, if the horse lifts its head up, the head completely blocks the view of the tabard. I’ve seen this for myself when out walking the dog (with hi viz on ourselves). Bay horse and rider walking along road towards us, with the rider’s tabard very visible. Horse spotted us and raised its head up to check us out - completely obscuring the tabard 😳.

Also, side visibility is not good with just a tabard, you really need much more hi viz than that.

I’ll include a previous post with dash cam stills that I‘ve posted before re how difficult it can be to see riders in bright sun and strong shadows. The lead rider was wearing a tabard. We could hardly make out the horses even when they were very close up.

I know that I’ve posted these dash cam stills before, but they are relevant to this thread. This shows why a hi viz tabard alone is not enough - the lead rider is wearing one. This is a NSL country lane, and OH was driving, I was passenger. I spotted ‘something’ up ahead first, and even though I’m very horse aware even I didn’t realise initially that it was two horses and their riders. We slowed up straight away anyway - car speed is shown on the stills.

The horses, who were in the shadow cast by the hedge, remained virtually invisible even close up.

Just before 1pm on a gloriously sunny late January day, wet roads.

View attachment 127526

View attachment 127527

View attachment 127528

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
There is one rider near me who seems to delight in sneering at those of us decked out like a packet of skittles. Bloke who wears tweed on a bay horse and blends beautifully into the hedgerow.

I had a bit of a slam brakes on yesterday for a motorcycle that had pulled up at the side of the road. All in black and it was the movement of the rider getting off that caught my eye. I knew the driver behind hadn't seen him because he gave me a rude hand signal for my sudden braking then clocked why I'd done it.

Cyclists round here are a nightmare. I'm sure all the black gear is very expensive but it definitely isn't very visible

Errin Paddywack

Visit site

A lot depends on the size of the horses and the number of animals. One lone rider on a big horse will need more hi-viz. Drivers eyeline is looking towards the road not up in the air. That is why leg bands can be so useful. Someone locally hacks out on a fair sized bay horse, she wears a tabard but to be honest it really isn't enough, especially as she is often out at dusk.

Kaylum

Visit site
Agree and walkers, cyclists, motorcyclists should be wearing it.
A lot depends on the size of the horses and the number of animals. One lone rider on a big horse will need more hi-viz. Drivers eyeline is looking towards the road not up in the air. That is why leg bands can be so useful. Someone locally hacks out on a fair sized bay horse, she wears a tabard but to be honest it really isn't enough, especially as she is often out at dusk.
I can see a hi viz hat band/cover when driving down winding roads, as they are above the hedges.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
There is one rider near me who seems to delight in sneering at those of us decked out like a packet of skittles. Bloke who wears tweed on a bay horse and blends beautifully into the hedgerow.

She won't be sneering if god forbid her horse is either dead on the road or has to be pts, or if she is face planted.

What I say to people with that attitude is" you may be sneering now but won't be if he is hit by a car"
Or

"I would rather my horse looks like a packet of skittles than sprawled out dead on the road" "I value my horses life and want them to be as safe as possible" Yes It is blunt but the truth.
or

"You may have spent £****** pounds on him but he wont be worth anything if he is hit by a car"

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I can't remember who it was but there used to be someone on the forum who said they didn't see why they should thank a driver for pulling out and not hitting them. Some people have some very strange attitudes towards their own safety!
I can remember who it was, but I won’t diss them up. Come to think of it, they haven’t posted in a while…

They also sneered at hi viz, saying that it was up to drivers to be paying attention.

maya2008

Visit site
It might be our little ponies are so visible because they are small - 12hh and under - so in the driver’s eye line more. They are also all grey or coloured so the white helps.

I deck my bay pony out more because I know the only thing anyone can see is the fluorescent stuff, she’s like an invisible ninja even in daylight!

Leg bands though…after a muddy hack they are entirely pointless, because they’re completely covered in brown mud!

Fransurrey

Visit site
What I say to people with that attitude is" you may be sneering now but won't be if he is hit by a car"
Or

"I would rather my horse looks like a packet of skittles than sprawled out dead on the road" "I value my horses life and want them to be as safe as possible" Yes It is blunt but the truth.
or

"You may have spent £****** pounds on him but he wont be worth anything if he is hit by a car"
To be honest it's easier to say "Oh do fook off." I do admire your politeness.😁 You can't educate stupid.

I picked up an orange long sleeve mesh hi viz this summer for £2 at a local show. Absolute bargain - I wish I'd bought at least two for when it fades! I like to mix it up so that over my jacket, combined with a yellow/mercury sheet with breast plate is fab (I wanted pink or orange sheet, but my Christmas pressie wish list didn't quite get through!). I have a set of lights, too, for legs and me (on a vest), which come out when it's misty or heavy rain/extra dull.

SDMabel

Visit site
I think if we as humans choose to take our horse onto the roads , the very least we can do is ensure they are extremely visible to drivers.

It's such a risk now-days and just incredibly selfish to not be decked out in Hi-viz ! Ive got a fab breast plate that clips to the d-rings on the saddle, its Yellow and has reflective tape all over it. Alongside my Hi-viz jacket and a bright pink exercise sheet (no fill ) so can be used in both summer and winter.

I ride a piebald cob, we don't blend in against hedgerows due to the amount of white on her (or pissy yellow this time of year) but i still wouldn't dream of taking her out with nothing hi-viz on

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It might be our little ponies are so visible because they are small - 12hh and under - so in the driver’s eye line more. They are also all grey or coloured so the white helps.

I deck my bay pony out more because I know the only thing anyone can see is the fluorescent stuff, she’s like an invisible ninja even in daylight!

Leg bands though…after a muddy hack they are entirely pointless, because they’re completely covered in brown mud!
Yes leg bands might be covered in mud, but I use these on my pony and horses and although muddy in the woods, they are the shiny material so still visible even after we walk home, as if you walk through puddles it washes off but never found they are not visible enough

my pony is 12hh She has these boots https://www.v-bandz.co.uk/category-24/COMBI-Shires.html

Burnerbee

Visit site
I just wanted to stress again, please don’t ever assume drivers are looking where they’re going / are sober / not high / give a monkeys about you - unfortunately this applies to far more than we would like to think.

Re drugs; I used to drive down country lanes a lot in my old job, and it was scary how often, on summer mornings at 7am ish, with my windows open I’d smell weed coming from the vehicle that had just passed me. (Obviously people are smoking at all hours of the day and year, this was just when it was most obvious).