Hickstead dies in the ring......

quirky

Visit site
How many of us have actually seen a horse die in these circumstances? I've seen horses PTS of course but not suffer a heart attack. It is terribly sad for everybody connected with this horse but an education, possibly, to others and doesn't take away from the achievements during the horse's lifetime.

Agree with this.
Yes, it was upsetting to watch but it was an education in itself and didn't look too dissimilar from the horses I have seen pts by injection, quick and the horse seemed to be pretty unaware.

Last edited:

charlie76

Visit site
I watched the video and don't see a problem with posting it
. After all it happened on TV
. I Also knew what It would be before clicking the link. I have seen lots of horses put down by various methods and one die from a burst colon ( which was horrible ) but never seen one go from a heart attack so I was interested To see,its how we learn. I don't think any horse Could want a better end.

Caledonia

Visit site
One of the greatest SJ horses of our times collapses and DIES in the ring and people need to see a VIDEO to UNDERSTAND what actually happened. Am i missing something here, is it that difficult to comprehend?

Yes -although I can only speak for myself, you are missing something.

I watched it to see that he didn't suffer. I didn't for a minute think he had, but for peace of mind I watched it to see how he died. He was due that respect.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
If anything he just looked confused, the bit where he lifted his head up. Poor sweetheart but yes it was very quick. Condolences to all involved. RIP brave boy x

Dancing Queen

Visit site
RIP Hickstead

Having had this happen to me I know how it feels and it brings back such terrible memories x

needless to say i dont need to watch or have the desire to watch.

fair

Visit site
From the video it looks like a burst aorta, seen a horse collapse like that at another competition, heart attack would be more sudden

luckyoldme

Visit site
i watched the video and managed to deduce from the title what it was before i saw it. Most of us would have imagined it to be a lot worse than the reality of the video. I am unashamed to say that i watched the video out of curiosity. i thought hicksteads death looked quick and relatively painless... I would have been very upset to see any animal suffer. I dont think i will loose any sleep over the loss of a horses dignity.... i have more empathy for some of the heartbreaking stories coming out ofTaunton this weekend.

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
What I felt when I saw that was totally and utterly mortified for Eric Lamaze. He must still have been pumped with adrenaline having just jumped his round; to go from that to standing helplessly, holding the reins as your horse dies before your eyes on the end of them... horrific.

It's a shame there's always someone who has to get "affronted" and make this all about them.

RIP Hickstead.

Last edited:

Rambo

Visit site
I'm glad i watched it...made me feel a lot better to see how quickly it was all over....no more than 30 seconds i reckon and it was over. My boy collapsed with a suspected heart attack too....sadly he hung on long enough for the vet to finish the job. Hickstead went quickly and was given the most respect possible under the circumstances. The screens were there almost before he breathed his last breath...and ALL the riders gave him their ultimate respect by cancelling the class. RIP Hickstead

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Having seen Best Mate collapse and die of a heart attack it is terrible to watch, but watching it someone may realise that if their horse starts to go down and jumps off quickly this video may save their lives.

mon

Visit site
Agree never seen heart attack before although seen farm animals and old dogs die, but fore warned now how quick it happens even footballers have died on pitch, never know what's around the corner, thankfully!

Caledonia

Visit site
What I felt when I saw that was totally and utterly mortified for Eric Lamaze. He must still have been pumped with adrenaline having just jumped his round; to go from that to standing helplessly, holding the reins as your horse dies before your eyes on the end of them... horrific.

It's a shame there's always someone who has to get "affronted" and make this all about them.

RIP Hickstead.

Yes on both sentiments.

James6

Visit site
i watched the video and managed to deduce from the title what it was before i saw it. Most of us would have imagined it to be a lot worse than the reality of the video. I am unashamed to say that i watched the video out of curiosity. i thought hicksteads death looked quick and relatively painless... I would have been very upset to see any animal suffer. I dont think i will loose any sleep over the loss of a horses dignity.... i have more empathy for some of the heartbreaking stories coming out ofTaunton this weekend.

Agree totally

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
Hickstead a showman to the last, and what a way to go! to the sound of applause..

Oh and thanks to the poster with the link, I saw nothing distressing in it at all!! and the people who did need to realise where there is live stock there is also dead stock! his ending was quick, and weird as it may sound I find comfort and sadness in their final gallop!

meandmyself

Visit site
One of the greatest SJ horses of our times collapses and DIES in the ring and people need to see a VIDEO to UNDERSTAND what actually happened. Am i missing something here, is it that difficult to comprehend?

Actually, as grim as it sounds, I found the video educational to watch. I'd much rather see that then read someone's second hand account.

He seemed to pass very quickly, and the majority of the video was of the crowd's reaction. I don't think anyone was disrespectful or uncaring.

RIP Hickstead.

Charem

Visit site
I too watched the video and as sad as it is that we have lost a great horse in Hickstead, there are far far worse ways for horses to go. He died at the top of his game doing what he loved and surrounded by thousands of fans who adored him. I think it was a truly beautiful thing that the riders held a minutes silence in rememberance of him.

RIP Hickstead x

lil'chesnut

Visit site
I am not saying for one minute that it should happen to any horse, but why must it happen to the best??? Call Again Cavalier, Spring Along, now Hickstead... WHY? All gone too soon.

I send my most sincere condolances to Eric, Hickstead's owners and the surrounding team. A Truly sad loss of a True champion.

Goodbye Hickstead. You'll be remembered for ever xxx

applecart14

Visit site
Do you really think it was necessary to post that!:(

RIP , One of the greatest ever x

Yep. If you didn't want to watch it why watch it? I feel very, very sad for the horse and those that were there but it is just a fact of life. Horses die. The link said it all and gave away the clue that it would be a video of the horse collapsing. Not nice to watch true. But true life and interesting/educational although very sad..... there are a lot worse video's out there.

Had one of mine die from a heart attack. Not a blade of grass scraped, not a bead of sweat under his rug. Very quick. Professionally handled by the organisers too.

Last edited:

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
People stop arguing and pay repest to hickstead...
RIP <3

I thought Allover and I had a very civilized exchange of opinion. As far as I'm concerned we weren't ARGUING. She was offended, I was not. I respect her right to be offended as much as she respected MY right to watch the video and find it cathartic. By HHO standards I thought we were VERY mature and friendly. BOTH of us admired and respected Hickstead hugely, I have NO doubt about that.
Perhaps she and Fairynuff disagreed more strongly, but I'm sure that neither of them meant to 'diss' Hickstead. Please stop trying to fan the flames of a disagreement that waned as quickly as it flared up.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I am not saying for one minute that it should happen to any horse, but why must it happen to the best??? Call Again Cavalier, Spring Along, now Hickstead... WHY? All gone too soon.
EVERYONE has a horse that is the BEST for them. Yes, it's VERY sad indeed that such a fabulous horse should die so young, and I cried for him and Eric. But people lose horses prematurely every day in unfortunate circumstances, and you can bet that they were all the BEST to their owners.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I must say I clicked on expecting to see tributes not the actual event. However I dont see the problem with it. To be honest I found it reassuring that he went so quickly and painlessly. I hope if I loose one of mine its as quick and while they are still feeling happy and apparently enjoying life.

Ditto this. I do not see a problem with people viewing the horse's death - it is natural curiosity especially for such a great horse and we will likely all as horse owners witness our horses dying in one way or another. Human killings are shown all the time on TV. This was not disrespectful imo. It showed an although untimely, a peaceful end.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I don't know if others have mentioned this, but the commentator, Stephen Hadley ? when they'd shown the collapse of the horse, for the second or third time, said something along the lines of "Do they really have to show this AGAIN"? A good response, I thought.

A.

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
I too watched the video knowing exactly what I was going to see.
I saw a horse sadly taken in his prime but doing a job he clearly loved with a man he clearly gave his all to. It was thankfully quick and i very much doubt Hickstead knew much about it.
Far far worse for Eric and Hicksteads other connections to see the animal you love dying in front of you. But as others have said once the initial shock has passed hopefully they will take some comfort from his swift passing with the crowds applause still in his ears, and from the respect shown to him by the other competitors. There are far far worse fates suffered every day by horses around the world.

RIP Hickstead, another of Gods angels returned home.