Hillside animal sanctuary

Moomin1

Visit site
Don't flatter yourself.

As for sniping. Stop posting rubbish then;)[/QUOT

Errm, no you're ok thanks! I'll just carry on doing what I'm doing being that it's a free country and public forum an' all that!! ;)

As for you seeming to know a bit more on the subject about this - I suppose you are taking all of your information from the press eh? :rolleyes:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
The freedom food badge is something that farmers sign up to, they are not owned or run by RSPCA, if there was animal welfare issues at individual farms then it is the farmer that is responsible, not a badge? What your saying is that 'red tractor' should be prosecuted for the farms under their banner that have animal welfare issues too......???

If however you are stating that the standards set by the freedom food badge causes suffering then I would have expected to see or heard of suffering at every single freedom food farm???? Is this the case????

excuse my ramblings what i was meening the fact the rspca harp on about supporting such a thing as FF then allow what happens at such places to carry on, they should be held responsible for.

as for standards ANYBODY can will and does set standards for how most types of anumals are set, its just sad that few will ever follow the standards.

;):)

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I didn't mean to imply that the RSPCA own the Freedom Food Farms but if a farm is part of an accreditation scheme, the membership of which meaning they have to adhere to higher welfare standards, then they should be severely punished if they do not stick to the them. It also means that the conscientious consumer, who thinks that they are doing the right thing by buying into the Freedom Farm label is being conned. If you can't trust an RSPCA accreditation, who can you trust?

Ladydragon

Visit site
excuse my ramblings what i was meening the fact the rspca harp on about supporting such a thing as FF then allow what happens at such places to carry on, they should be held responsible for.

as for standards ANYBODY can will and does set standards for how most types of anumals are set, its just sad that few will ever follow the standards.

;):)

I do agree... I don't use FF accreditation to help make educated purchases but I've no doubt some people do...

If the belief is that such accreditation offers the consumer some guidance there should be some system in place to ensure regular welfare checks and that meeting the FF requirements is an ongoing procedure... According to the website, yearly checks are undertaken... Whether this is enough, actually happens and is rigorous enough is open to question though I guess...

RSPCA FF - How we operate

Patterdale

Visit site
The argument of standards of farming practice being maintained is so much bigger than this. Most governments of other EU COUNTRIES cannot/will not enforce the basic farming standards that they promise. The UK is one of the few that do actually try with animal welfare. This means that it costs more for our farmers to produce their meat/eggs and therefore is why British meat costs more.
If you really care about this sort of thing then the questions to be asked are 'Why do our British farmers have to spend so much more time and money adhering to welfare standards than other EU countries (who's governents turn a blind eye) only to have our government allow import FROM these other countries AND allow them to undercut our farmers?'

The EU all agree to the same welfare rules but we are very much in the minority in terms of actually enforcing these rules. If the EU can't get it right how can the RSPCA?

Whatever the flaws in the Freedom Foods/Red Tractor schemes, it is worth remembering that they are still very much at the forefront of food production, when compared to the rest of the EU. The problem is that it's just not a level playing field, and so few people are aware of it.

And if you think I'm boring on the subject you should meet my husband....!

jrp204

Visit site
There are thousands of food producers who are signed up to the Freedom food/Red tractor scheme who are working successfully, unfortunately it is like a lot of things you only hear about the few bad cases. I have just read their requirements for sheep and free range hens and we work within them but there is no point in signing up, I don't need to pay the sub don't want the extra paperwork and since we sell direct to the consumer there is point.
Personally if I felt there was a welfare issue on a farm I would go to Animal Health who have way more power.

Moomin1

Visit site

You have no idea how the irony in your comments to me make me chuckle!!

If you know so much about the goings on WITHIN the RSPCA Inspectorate - I can only assume you work for them then Amymay?! ;):rolleyes:

Out of interest Amymay, if someone were to report this sanctuary to the RSPCA for releasing non-native wild animals into the wild in Britain, what do you think they would do about it? I suppose you will say nothing!

Last edited: