Hind limb lameness and toe dragging

Bruce17

Visit site
Is it ever just something not awful, like spavins or kissing spines, or PSD?

Currently clinging to hope that it turns out to be something easy to fix, but knowing my luck with horses it won't be. Feeling really worried tonight ?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
With my appaloosa it was stifle OCD (osteochondritis). Of it's quite mild it's treatable. Sadly I lost the horse for another reason.

ponynutz

Visit site
With ours it was a form of quite quickly developing arthritis in her hocks which I guess isn't AS terrible but has made her semi-retired and reduced to hacking. Sorry :(

Asha

Visit site
My mare did this , and has just recovered from a stifle injury . She has had a steroid injection and so far so good . Toe dragging stopped. She’s now been declared sound and good to carry on as normal So yes they can have positive outcomes .
Fingers crossed for you

exracehorse

Visit site
One I had toe dragged on rear off. Then he started to slide on it. Rather like he had slipped on a banana.

Cherryblossom

Visit site
My 4yo had this when brought back into work/restarted. After multiple negative blocks, the vet injected her SI joint and we’ve done 6months rehab. She’s now back in work and appears sound (as per vet last month). Cautiously optimistic for her to have some sort of useful life…

Jellymoon

Visit site
As per Gloi, I had one that did it as a very weak 5 Yr old but with work specifically on building up strength in his back, stopped doing it. Also a change of saddle may have contributed.

atropa

Visit site
Two of mine toe drag their off hind and have done for the entire times I've had them (6 and 7 years), but have never had to be off games due to it.
Vets have diagnosed the root causes as previous injuries prior to me buying the horses causing weakness and stiffness.
One is 20 now and we enjoy dressage and hacking, it will be her navicular that retires her rather than the hind end.
One is 13 and we do a bit of everything including SJ and XC however my gut feel is there may be some additional treatment/workup associated with her hind end coming soon, possibly SI injections, so watch this space.

I should say both of mine vastly improve with the dragging when they are fit and working correctly and also that I bought bargain basement and knew these were issues when I purchased.

Bruce17

Visit site
Thank you for the positive stories. Sadly, as she is actually lame it won't be because she is unfit ? also it's worse on one side (right) than the other.

Feeling so fed up. She's barely done anything yet ? life and covid got in the way but I was really hoping to start doing stuff this year, and now this. Previous horse was a medical nightmare, retired early then dropped dead in the stable, this horse was meant to be a fresh start.

If its arthritis at her age I don't know what I'm going to do really. It's a lifetime of pain management isnt it. I'm also priced out of the horse market now, covid prices and aforementioned medical nightmare horse have destroyed my budget, so I can't afford to replace her really if she's broken.

Sorry for the pity party, just needed to vent.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thank you for the positive stories. Sadly, as she is actually lame it won't be because she is unfit ? also it's worse on one side (right) than the other.

Feeling so fed up. She's barely done anything yet ? life and covid got in the way but I was really hoping to start doing stuff this year, and now this. Previous horse was a medical nightmare, retired early then dropped dead in the stable, this horse was meant to be a fresh start.

If its arthritis at her age I don't know what I'm going to do really. It's a lifetime of pain management isnt it. I'm also priced out of the horse market now, covid prices and aforementioned medical nightmare horse have destroyed my budget, so I can't afford to replace her really if she's broken.

Sorry for the pity party, just needed to vent.

I feel for you. I would simply get referred to a main vet hospital for a full lameness/performance work up, as opposed to calling the local vet out with portable equipment. That way you will find out soonest what you are dealing with.

Bruce17

Visit site
I feel for you. I would simply get referred to a main vet hospital for a full lameness/performance work up, as opposed to calling the local vet out with portable equipment. That way you will find out soonest what you are dealing with.

Yes, her normal vet is a vet hospital so they will be seeing her this coming week, it's already booked in. I'm just catastrophising whilst I await the appointment, I guess. It's going to be a long week...

Artax

Visit site
I think ponynutz is right, don't think the worst. Do your research as so much is available online and try to get your head around not just the bad, but the good as well. It could anything from spinal, pelvic, to individual joints and muscle issues like PSSM. Work it all through with a good vet.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Yes, her normal vet is a vet hospital so they will be seeing her this coming week, it's already booked in. I'm just catastrophising whilst I await the appointment, I guess. It's going to be a long week...
I'm exactly in the same boat as you. 8 yo cob lame on both hinds. Vet coming on Monday for x-rays etc. And I'm also catastrophising. ?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It's the waiting that's the worst isn't it? I couldn't get vet until Wednesday so I'm stuck worrying until then. Hope for an easy outcome for both of us ?
Yes fingers crossed for you too. I can't really deal with the waiting either !

Visit site
Mine is caused arthritis in the hocks. He tends to do it when walking down steep hills or when trotting if asked to collect too much. I have to let him trot almost a little too forward as he cannot collect behind any more much. He is 23 though.

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine has been lame at the back twice (with toe drag first time) - first time was a medial branch suspensory injury (left hind). Not psd but rehabbed in a similar way - took my time but came back to full work. Now has v mild arthritic changes in hocks - cartrophen injections appear to be making a real difference (not fully completed the course). So easy and understandable to think the worst - I hope you get some positive manageable news.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Been thinking of you today Sossigpoker hope you got some answers
Thank you so much.
He has arthritis in the lower joints of the hocks. The right one is almost fused and he's only 8!
He's had steroid injections and I'll start riding in a week's time and see if he's more comfortable.
Vet did warn that it is very much possible that there's something else going on too so the first thing to gauge is whether the steroid makes him more comfortable.