Holding onto the bit

Neptune

Visit site
For what reasons would a horse hold on to the bit for? My horse does this, he doesn’t necessarily cross his jaw or ****** off anywhere. He just holds the bit in his mouth. Which is fine (in a kind of way!) on straight lines but any bending lateral or flexion that is asked and he just blocks me. I have noticed he is better if I continually swap his bit over every couple of rides ie. Change the mouth piece as otherwise he just seems to work his way round the bit if used for too long, but he still does it to some degree. He is ridden in a standard flash bridle. He mainly has a range of lozenge mouth pieces of different makes and models. I don’t feel I am an irritant to him with unsteady hands etc and have had others confirm this for me. So running out of reasons why he would do this.

Any ideas? Thanks

Neptune

Visit site
He doesn't particularly, bridle came with it and I never took it off. It isn't actually done up tight so not sure it really does much. But further reading on here and I will try him without it tonight. Would this contribute to him holding the bit?

Tnavas

Visit site
Have you had his teeth done recently? Talk to the dentist about a bit seat.

He may also not like the double joint - if the middle is a wide lozenge it could be catching on the bars of his mouth, check the height of the bit in his mouth too - it may be that you have the bit too high. Finally take of the lower strap on the flash and do the top up loosely.

Shay

Visit site
Sounds like the bit is in the wrong place for him and possibly the poor position has been hidden by the flash. If you don;t need it take it off and check the bit is fitted correctly. Tnavas is also right about asking the dentist about a bit seat if you can't get the bit to fit correctly without.

Farma

Visit site
There could be so many answers to this! possibles; lack of suppleness, discomfort or tightness somewhere, wrong tack, weakness from rider ie unable to ride with independent seat/ hands or inadvertently riding front to back rather than vice versa, maybe on the forehand and simply early stages of schooling .....The list goes on!