Home made shetland shelter?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Afternoon,

I wanted to get my ponies another ark style shelter that was predominantly for my shetland to have so she can stay out overnight on her own mini track within a bigger track for ponies but carona has obvs ruined that plan so considering a home made one.

I have;

Lots and lots of pallets
A massive tarp
Loads and load of old fence rails
Nails
A small amount of roofing felt
DSW for strength

Am I mad to consider making one? Will it just blow/be itched over?!

And most importantly......has anyone done similar and if so what does it look like?

?

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
I think you need to look for Auslander's pony portal, I think that you have the required raw materials ;)

Oo yes was that a sort of sneak way for pony to get away from big horses? My shetland is a standard shetland so think the trouble will be that one pallet high wont be high enough for her so some planning will be needed

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ok, neighbour did this.
4 pallets, heavy commercial ones (as bigger/taller). 2 across back, 2 - one for each side.
Bang fence posts either between the pallet slats and nail on to fix pallets firmly, or outside/inside complete pallet and nail on.
Cut 2 wedges to sit at front of pallet on each side.
Use 1 sheet of 8 x 4 board to go over top and nail onto posts so it slopes to back, cover with roofing felt.

A few weeks later add a couple more solid posts at front and electric tape all way round, to stop fat bummed cob from using as itching post.

Later on, add more slats from other pallets to stop wind going through in winter.
Then add off cut of gutter to rear.....

PurBee

Visit site
Yes, temporary shelters help a lot....they dont even have to have 3 sides...just erect 2 ‘walls’ out of pallets that stop the prevailing wind direction....the ponies will gladly shelter the otherside. Doesnt have to be fancy.

we’ve erected temporary shelters for all sorts of uses, storing fuel, hay, etc...they dont last years but are certainly better than nothing and do ’the job’ marvelously!

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Oo I like that mavandkaz, using pallets there will be some airflow through it so hopefully wont blow over ??

Poiuytrewq yes just for one 40" shetland. That sounds so cute ? but sadly at present finding and fetching a shed a bit awkward hence looking at what I have lying about :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oo I like that mavandkaz, using pallets there will be some airflow through it so hopefully wont blow over ??

Poiuytrewq yes just for one 40" shetland. That sounds so cute ? but sadly at present finding and fetching a shed a bit awkward hence looking at what I have lying about :)
Of course ?‍♀️ It’s only been a month and I still keep thinking stupid things!
Definitely try making one. I’m half planning to but don’t have the stuff handy just yet. I’ll let you do a trial run ;)

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Yes, temporary shelters help a lot....they dont even have to have 3 sides...just erect 2 ‘walls’ out of pallets that stop the prevailing wind direction....the ponies will gladly shelter the otherside. Doesnt have to be fancy.

we’ve erected temporary shelters for all sorts of uses, storing fuel, hay, etc...they dont last years but are certainly better than nothing and do ’the job’ marvelously!

Actually that give me an idea, I could make a cross out of the tallest pallets so depending on rain sun direction she would always have a degree of shelter ?

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Of course ?‍♀️ It’s only been a month and I still keep thinking stupid things!
Definitely try making one. I’m half planning to but don’t have the stuff handy just yet. I’ll let you do a trial run ;)

Haha I promise to post pictures and be truthful as to if it does/doesn't work ??? Annoyingly I have a shed that would be perfect but it's full of crap that can't be moved elsewhere at min ?