Honest Opinions Needed on Horses Comfort

Nasicus

Visit site
I think the canny old mare must have cottoned on to my worries, as when I arrived yesterday evening, they'd completely obliterated the moving end of the track (It's being strip grazed as we go along it) and obviously had a merry old day stuffing their faces on the long grass before reaching the very end of the track with the lush, green, sugary re-growth and having a full on feast! So much for weight loss, she probably figured that if she's going out, she's going out with a stomach full of the good stuff!
I've reassured her she's not going anywhere yet, rebuilt and re-enforced the end of the track, and brought it in a bit to compensate for the sugary delights they enjoyed yesterday.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I don't think she looks to bad, just really fat which won't help. Its noticeable on my gelding, if he starts looking fat he looks more stiff.

Hope she feels better soon!

Reactions: DD

marmalade88

Visit site
She's definitely stiff behind, is she's like this in this warm weather I'd be concerned going into winter when it's a lot colder. How was she this winter?

Nasicus

Visit site
She's definitely stiff behind, is she's like this in this warm weather I'd be concerned going into winter when it's a lot colder. How was she this winter?
Coped well last year, plenty of zooming around with the youngster in good spirits during the cold weather! Seems to have declined more this year, so I'll be keeping a keen eye on her this winter.

Nasicus

Visit site
Hi all,
Been quiet a few days as I wanted to see how she goes with the Metformin and Danilon twice a day.
I'm pleased to say that there has been an improvement! She can still be a bit stiff and stumbly at times, but I've been seeing a lot more trotting and cantering (namely over towards me at meal times!) and after a bath the other day she even threw a couple offended bronks/bucks before hooning off down the field.
She's eating the Metformin without issue, it's being mixed into a handful of soaked haycobs with her other supplements and danilon twice a day, and I think she's more than happy to gobble it down as I haven't moved the fence in the track at all in the last week, so she's probably grateful to get something that isn't hay, straw or sunburnt/dry grass!

I've been putting out little piles of mixed hay/barley straw in the evenings, increasing the straw to hay ratio daily towards it being more straw, and dotting small amounts all over the place so she can't just stand in one place and munch.

Overall I'm much happier with how she's doing, but I am aware that winter will be a different beast. If we have another insanely mild one like we just had, then I can't foresee too many problems, but if we get a cold one like the year before then it'll most likely become 'question time' again. But for now, I'm just happy that she's more comfortable, and she can have a nice summer at least :)

Nasicus

Visit site
glad you have solved her problem(sort of) and she can have a good summer....what a relief for you
Most definitely, it's been lovely to see her moving more, and in fact, she's become a lot more 'affectionate' since we started. I say in quotes as she's always been a standoffish mare, but whereas up until we started the new regime, she'd walk off if I went near her, she's started to follow me round more, letting me go up to her and stroke her body, and even came up to me the other day and offered her nose for a petting. She can still be wary about being caught (always has been), but I think she's starting to realise that I'm not going to try ride her (not that I only ever brought her in to ride mind you!).

DD

Visit site
Hi all,
Been quiet a few days as I wanted to see how she goes with the Metformin and Danilon twice a day.
I'm pleased to say that there has been an improvement! She can still be a bit stiff and stumbly at times, but I've been seeing a lot more trotting and cantering (namely over towards me at meal times!) and after a bath the other day she even threw a couple offended bronks/bucks before hooning off down the field.
She's eating the Metformin without issue, it's being mixed into a handful of soaked haycobs with her other supplements and danilon twice a day, and I think she's more than happy to gobble it down as I haven't moved the fence in the track at all in the last week, so she's probably grateful to get something that isn't hay, straw or sunburnt/dry grass!

I've been putting out little piles of mixed hay/barley straw in the evenings, increasing the straw to hay ratio daily towards it being more straw, and dotting small amounts all over the place so she can't just stand in one place and munch.

Overall I'm much happier with how she's doing, but I am aware that winter will be a different beast. If we have another insanely mild one like we just had, then I can't foresee too many problems, but if we get a cold one like the year before then it'll most likely become 'question time' again. But for now, I'm just happy that she's more comfortable, and she can have a nice summer at least :)
sounding good.

Nasicus

Visit site
Just a quick 15 sec video of the Lump walking from pile to pile, picking out the scant bits of hay to be found in between the straw.

She's moving better, but definitely still with some issues, a very noticeable hitch in her step at the 8 sec mark.

Reactions: DD

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think she’s moving ok. I have a very similar 21 year old, very fat, diagnosed with Cushings and very stiff hocks. Last summer I managed to get her off Danilon completely, this summer she’s needed to be on half a sachet. In winter she had one sachet.

Merrymoles

Visit site

Or, if you can keep her going out even if it's cold and she needs some Danilon to stop her being too stiff, the resulting reduction in weight might help make her feel better next spring and not be as much hard work for you! I have a similar type of horse who lives on fresh air so I feel your pain!