Horse and Hound Columnist

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
She let kids roll in dog poo (the idea of a dog poo hill left to fester is disgusting in itself), managed to have one fall off a pony while she was leading it, and let another wonder off into the countryside on their own for several hours??!

Are we sure this woman is real?

JFTDWS

Visit site
She let kids roll in dog poo (the idea of a dog poo hill left to fester is disgusting in itself), managed to have one fall off a pony while she was leading it, and let another wonder off into the countryside on their own for several hours??!

Are we sure this woman is real?

She does seem spectacularly out of touch with reality...

oldie48

Visit site
Sounds like she's got some dodgy posh friends too! I am not in the least anti- hunt but reading this garbage (or not but paying for it anyway as a subscriber) and living on the boundary of a hunt, which seems to view the normal population as peasants, I do find my accommodating attitude stretched to the limit at times.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I’m so glad I’ve seen this, I had to read it twice as I couldn’t believe what I was reading, and thought, maybe I’ve missed the joke? Perhaps I’m a ridiculous softy? The thought that she could see her little boy had fallen off but just carry on without him?? Poor little chap. She is a rubbish mummy, and a stereotype of the tough as old boots, uncaring horsey mum. Get rid.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I am reminded of something I saw last summer on a fun ride, on one of the very hot days. There was an older guy, sitting next to a dead horse. The stewards had redirected the ride to the other side of the fence, but the sight was unavoidable - fully tacked up horse, dead on its side. Clearly injured guy sitting on the ground beside the horse, steward nearby directing people round. Just further on, an ambulance was making its slow way down an unsurfaced track to reach him. At the next checkpoint/drink stop a steward told us that the man's wife had been riding with him, but had chosen to carry on and finish the ride as there was no point both of them having a ruined day. She hadn't even waited for the ambulance to come! Cast from the same mould as the columnist I think?

Chippers1

Visit site
What an awful story Landcruiser! Horrible woman.
I have colourful wellies, does that make me a townie 😬

Lois Lame

Visit site
I also agree that the showing blog hit a bum note. Just very out of touch with reality. I know that the author is a teenager so surely the H&H editor should have offered some more guidance?

If the author is in her teens, then it sounds like it's been written tongue in cheek.

I've got an awful habit of writing stuff that seems funny to me at the time but turns out not to be, so if the articles are meant as a joke then... well, I mustn't be a hypocrite.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Afterthought: the photographs are very nice I think. It's possible that the author is given the photograph to write something about. (Perhaps we should pull our heads in.)

Bernster

Visit site
Let’s have AA, EKW, hot to trot (sadly no longer active I think) on there - and some of our other hho members who’ve I’ve forgotten but who always do a good write up!

Floxie

Visit site
If the author is in her teens, then it sounds like it's been written tongue in cheek.

I've got an awful habit of writing stuff that seems funny to me at the time but turns out not to be, so if the articles are meant as a joke then... well, I mustn't be a hypocrite.
Yes, but the difference is that you're not (I hope) being paid to write 'funny' articles in a very publicly visible equestrian magazine. Your jokes falling flat doesn't misrepresent our hobby and lifestyle and reinforce existing crappy stereotypes.
Nobody is doubting that it's meant as a joke and supposed to be tongue in cheek. We're saying she's missing the mark and coming across as plain awful. A paid columnist ought to be better than that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The author in their teens is an entirely different one! as it says in the post you quoted Tagoat that is the one with the showing blog :p

The one we are discussing is a married mother of two :p

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
According to the blurb put out by the H&H magazine editor at the time that the column was launched in Jan 2018:-

“Tessa is a really warm, amusing writer, and coupled with the stereotypes, this back page will set readers laughing and crying cringing as they see their own lives reflected,” adds Pippa.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/horse-hound-new-features-2018-640177

Country Life magazne also claim TW as a 'countryside journalist' who works for them, too. So she is not an amateur.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I don't buy horse and hound magazine but she comes across as your stereotypical tally ho snooty hunting type who has no time for anyone beneath her.

I'd like to try blood houndin on a hireling when I no longer have my own horse so would have more money to afford it but I have visions it would be full of her types and I'd be really unwelcome as I'm not part of their group!

I'd much rather read articles by some of the posters on here they are far funnier, the one linked above by Adorable Alice is brilliant as is her Ted thread, Starzaan and Shady spring to mind as entertaining as well of even EKW with her work rider threads. Wonder how much she gets paid to write this.

The showing teenager who posted the thread over xmas annoyed me as well didn't mummy go jump on a plane to buy her a new horse or something?

I don't know the general content of the magazine now but it would be nice to have more from "common " people rather than the entitled ones, I'd find them much more engaging as I could relate to them.

Floxie

Visit site
I'd like to try blood houndin on a hireling when I no longer have my own horse so would have more money to afford it but I have visions it would be full of her types and I'd be really unwelcome as I'm not part of their group!
Don't let her put you off. It may be regional but all the bloodhound packs I've been with have been down to earth and lovely. Foxhounds, too - though they've sometimes been more formal, still pleasant people. There's been the occasional exception but that's been an individual, rather than the group.

The fact that her writing does put you off is just terrible!

waggit

Visit site
I don't buy horse and hound magazine but she comes across as your stereotypical tally ho snooty hunting type who has no time for anyone beneath her.

I'd much rather read articles by some of the posters on here they are far funnier, the one linked above by Adorable Alice is brilliant as is her Ted thread, Starzaan and Shady spring to mind as entertaining as well of even EKW with her work rider threads. Wonder how much she gets paid to write this.

The showing teenager who posted the thread over xmas annoyed me as well didn't mummy go jump on a plane to buy her a new horse or something?

I don't know the general content of the magazine now but it would be nice to have more from "common " people rather than the entitled ones, I'd find them much more engaging as I could relate to them.

Last edited:

waggit

Visit site
Regarding the showing blog, it might just be me, but anyone who still refers to her parent as mummy has issues with growing up. Mum, Mother but please....mummy ! I would be quite happy to have the livery yard, EKW or Hovis being published.

WelshD

Visit site
Sounds as well advised as that kid doing the showing blog, the one who's groom walked out on her at Christmas, more power to the groom by the sounds of it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the showing blog please? I can only find ones that havent been updated in months

Tagoat

Visit site
The author in their teens is an entirely different one! as it says in the post you quoted Tagoat that is the one with the showing blog :p

The one we are discussing is a married mother of two :p

Yes ester. That's the sort of point I thought I was making. ...... "supposedly written by an adult for an adult readership" :p

chaps89

Visit site
Welsh D - it's Susie Eddis. Her sister Lucy did a blog for a few years but is now out of ponies then her sister (Susie) took over after HOYS last year. She only seems to have done 2 blog posts, including the now slightly infamous Christmas groom issue one, which is now heavily edited! She doesn't appear in the blog listing on H&H, only on Google.

WelshD

Visit site
Welsh D - it's Susie Eddis. Her sister Lucy did a blog for a few years but is now out of ponies then her sister (Susie) took over after HOYS last year. She only seems to have done 2 blog posts, including the now slightly infamous Christmas groom issue one, which is now heavily edited! She doesn't appear in the blog listing on H&H, only on Google.

Ah ok yes found it with your guidance thank you.
Susie doesn't have the lightness of touch that her sister had with regards to writing which is a shame and it's a shame she has come across to some so badly. They are actually very grounded girls and appreciate how lucky they are.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Having just read Gill Sims' pancake day offering on Facebook, I'm reminded that it is perfectly possibly to be very funny about the frustrations of parenthood and dog ownership, albeit with somewhat strong language :eek:, to resonate with other parents/dog owners, and not be too offensive to anyone (unless you don't like the strong language) other than the impossibly sensitive :p

Fiona

Visit site
Having just read Gill Sims' pancake day offering on Facebook, I'm reminded that it is perfectly possibly to be very funny about the frustrations of parenthood and dog ownership, albeit with somewhat strong language :eek:, to resonate with other parents/dog owners, and not be too offensive to anyone (unless you don't like the strong language) other than the impossibly sensitive :p

Gill Sims is amazingly funny :)

Fiona

Merrymoles

Visit site
Shame that Hovis and Karen are relegated to a blog really - I'd far rather read about the Hovis (and Stanley's) life and times than this codswallop! I'd also pay to read Adorable Alice and EKW!