Horse ate whole lickit, should i be worried

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
This evening I gave madam a lickit and then went to do a few chores and literally minutes later it was gone?

Should i be worried?
Sat here very concerned and thinking on checking on her through the night.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I wouldn't worry. They changed the formula due to colics caused by the old style ones. I have seen horses get through a whole big one inside of 20 minutes and be fine.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Bless?! I did a similar thing, I pig oiled my pony and left the jar on the side while I went to get a head collar , came back to find he had knocked it on the floor and licked it up!!! Likeits look like refreshers to me....wonder if they taste the same?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Mine did that once, no long term issues but it is pure sugar so not great. Same horse also upended one of those paddock licks in a container so it came out and he could bite huge chunks. I don't let him have any sort of licks anymore.

ezililaur

Visit site
My mare gets through one of those things in five minutes. She only gets one as a very occasional treat.
She'll be getting a banana one on Christmas morning. Really don't know why I'm bothering as it won't keep her occupied for long! I'M yet to meet anyone who says their horse just licks at them as they are supposed to!

Evie91

Visit site
Don't worry. My horse is not allowed them anymore for the same reason- would just bite chunks out and eat until it's all gone. That was with it in the special holder too.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine can get through a little lickit in 15 minutes despite me putting it in the most "challenging" holder.
They are designed to hold 2 but he only gets one at a time and loves them.

I also like to taste test them for him and can highly recommend the new blueberry and caramel flavours :p

Ladyinred

Visit site
We banned Likkits after one of ours got through a whole Likkit and its container in a matter of an hour or so!

Also on the banned list are himalayan salt licks... different horse same story, she was biting off chunks!

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine had one of the big pasture ones in the heavy container whilst she was on box rest. Lasted her 8 months! She just licked it when she fancied some :) I don't let her have the small ones without me there as the plastic is so easily broken off

case895

Visit site
I stopped giving them to the old git years ago as he worked out how to jam them against the bars and eat them like a toffee apple. Sunny Delight for horses.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Thanks, you have all reassured me. She wont be getting another for a while, had also bought her one of those fibre blocks for Christmas day but now worried she will inhale that too!!

My mare LOVES fibre blocks! I put them in the tiny haynets made for them, and she will go for that over her bucket! I don't think they can do any harm though, they are just compressed dried tasty grass/herbs etc no?

Same mare has just after 3.5 months noticed her lickit - I was like a proud parent when I went into her stable and noticed her feeble little tooth marks on it LOL!

This girl didn't know what a treat or a haynet was 3.5 months ago :)

maisie06

Visit site
I wouldn't worry, mine eats them inside of ten minutes and I often nibble them too! they are just sugar.....My welshie also ate a 5kg horselyx overnight with no ill effects.....he aint getting another one of those in a hurry!!

maisie06

Visit site
Mine can get through a little lickit in 15 minutes despite me putting it in the most "challenging" holder.
They are designed to hold 2 but he only gets one at a time and loves them.

I also like to taste test them for him and can highly recommend the new blueberry and caramel flavours :p

Do you find the caramel one tastes like custard? !! or maybe it's just me!

[100323]

Visit site
Mini Shetland holds the Lickit still, New Forest bites great chunks out of it, Mini gets the bits that fall to the floor. I too use a Himalayan salt lick now. Lasts a lot lot longer.