Horse becoming dangerous

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
@tiga71 thanks very much for your advice did you ever feel nervous around him how did you overcome it I definitely feel it with her now due to her nearly rearing right up when I’m holding her etc

tiga71

Visit site
@tiga71 thanks very much for your advice did you ever feel nervous around him how did you overcome it I definitely feel it with her now due to her nearly rearing right up when I’m holding her etc

I was very nervous at first. My trainer came with me to get him as he had to be loaded in a chiffney. On the way back she said I must not handle him without a hat and gloves. She said he wasn't aggressive but he was very scared and if he had a fright he would do whatever he could to get away, running me over or whatever.

He didn't come out of the field for about 5 months as we had to cross a road to get to the yard. He wasn't used to being led and I just couldn't trust him not to panic, set his neck and bolt on the road if he got scared.

I had some good professional help and I learnt to read his signals. I went very, very slowly and always made sure I listened to what he was telling me. When he showed me he was a tiny bit anxious, I took a step back and went back to where he was comfortable. He learnt that I listened to him and he started to trust me. We did lots of 2 steps forward and 3 steps back! But I never pushed him so he never went over threshold. That meant that neither of us needed to be worried.

When we started to teach him to lead properly he didn't want to leave the herd. (we were doing it all in the field). So I just walked him a couple of steps to one horse, stood a while, walked to another horse, never actually going away from the herd. Gradually we would manage a couple of metres away from the herd, then went back, then away again, then back. Over weeks we could walk away across the field. I did everything that slowly.

The slower you go, the better. And when you go slowly, if you make a mistake it is only a small mistake and easily fixed. I found that when I made mistakes, and i did, it didn't become a big deal as it was only a tiny step away from what he was ok with. Approach and retreat is great and really helped me be brave when I was a bit nervous.

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply she had her X-rays injury’s to the hip vet suspects she’s been hit by a car at some point before I got her but was left to heal however she’s over compensated on the other three legs and has muscle wastage on the injured leg even though it’s healing so but twice a day as much turn out as possible and non ridden for now she has she on her side. You’d never of known how much pain this horse was in without the X-ray so many professionals said she was fine so glad I trusted my gut

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply she had her X-rays injury’s to the hip vet suspects she’s been hit by a car at some point before I got her but was left to heal however she’s over compensated on the other three legs and has muscle wastage on the injured leg even though it’s healing so but twice a day as much turn out as possible and non ridden for now she has she on her side. You’d never of known how much pain this horse was in without the X-ray so many professionals said she was fine so glad I trusted my gut

Thank goodness she landed with you, on her hooves!

tiga71

Visit site
At least you know what you are dealing with and that pain is at the bottom of her behaviour.

I don't know how much turn out she is getting but the more she gets and the bigger the field the better.

I just had the saddler out today to mine. My rescue boy had a saddle fitted last March, he had a very odd shape and no wither to speak of. I got her out today as I want to get on but realised the saddle was nowhere near fitting him now. I thought he had just got too fat.

But he has completely changed shape and developed more of a wither. The saddler said she thought it was because he has let go of all the tension he was holding in his body, was out in a massive hilly field 24/7, had his sore spots worked on and done hillwork in hand. She thinks that he was then able to use his body properly, particularly his hind end, and his body had changed shape and developed a wither.

So I can offer you some hope that you can help improve her body now you know what you are dealing with and what she needs from you.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Fjord

Visit site
I've only just caught up on this thread. I'm so glad you continued with the vet and the x rays, at least you know what you are dealing with. Good for you for not ignoring her issues. It's such a shame she had this done to her and was just passed on, rather than being treated. Fingers crossed some time out in the field will allow her to heal properly.

Visit site
Has she ever panicked and pulled back she tied up that you know of? Or had people yanking on her head when turning her out? Both can cause poll/atlas bone issues which this sounds like it could be. I’d get an osteopathic vet to take a look. Also could be teeth/tmj related.