Horse behaving oddly....

Dyllymoo

Visit site
So I have had J for around 7 months, he is a 5 year old irish cob. He was quite anxious when I got him i.e. he would think he was getting a beating if you walked fast around him or if you tapped him accidentally with a broom whilst sweeping and especially being turned out. I changed my morning routine so that he wouldn't be out on his own for long, so I kept him in whilst mucking out, would ride and then pop him out. He slowly stopped worrying as much (individual turnout) i.e. didn't call really.

December I got him a brand new saddle fitted etc. He went well in. End of March he was due to have it checked over and make sure it was ok, unfortunately due to lockdown saddler has been unable to come out. I have sent pics as it appears to be rubbing his withers and we tried a couple of adjustments with pads etc. but it hasn't helped so saddler said I could use it in walk. I have hacked out in it once but didn't feel happy asking him to do that so have decided not to ride until saddler can come out.

Also due to lockdown the yard said we could only visit once a day so a friend would turn him out for me and I would go up after work and do my jobs. All fine for the past 5 weeks. Turn to Saturday and we have been told we can do twice a day so I went up Saturday morning and J was acting odd in his stable. When I went in he turned his back to me and hid his face in the corner. Now he would do this in winter if I brushed mud off his face as he didnt like it but I hadnt even touched him. I only wanted to put his headcollar on but he was acting very weird (not nervous just he didnt want me to touch him).

He did this the next 2 days and even when I got him in he wasnt particularly wanting me to groom him or anything.

Last night I long reined him out and unfortunately he pushed past my OH (who was at his head) and spun and bolted for home. Thankfully we weren't too far away and he made it home safe but obviously this has really shaken me.

This morning he was acting odd again. I took his temperature and all seems ok. Took him to his field and he was barging and spooking and head tossing (which is not him, he is so laid back and chilled).

I put him in the field and immediately he started calling. so so loud as well. He does have horses that are within sight and fairly close to him (other yard) but he was just beside himself.

Friend who had been putting him out said he hadn't been like this at all and she tried to stick to similar routine with him out first.

I've added salt to his feed due to spring grass but honestly I just don't know what to do.

because of the complete change of behaviour (his personality has changed, he would be quite tactile and sweet and into everything, now he just seems so sad and doesn't want me near him) I am thinking is he uncomfortable or is he genuinely sad for another reason?

I just feel like he isn't himself.

Any suggestions? Just not sure what to do :(

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would agree with not using the saddle again, if it is rubbing the withers it seriously doesn't fit. I don't understand the saddler saying it is fine for walk, as walk s the pace a rub can be ground down into.

How well do you know your friend? One time I worked with a horse whose behaviour changed when a new member of staff arrived. I reported it to the stable manager, but they gave a few reasons why they thought it could be. Years later, after CCTV was installed, we found that the member of staff was more than rough with the horses. Poor horse had told me, but as the girl looked pleasant and was knowledgeable, I didn't pay enough attention to my own eyes.

Palindrome

Visit site
Was your friend putting him out at the same time than her horse? I think it could be that he is unsettled because he needs company.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Was your friend putting him out at the same time than her horse? I think it could be that he is unsettled because he needs company.

Nope. She would put J out and then do her jobs and ride her horse and then put him out, so he was basically in the same routine just without being ridden.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I would agree with not using the saddle again, if it is rubbing the withers it seriously doesn't fit. I don't understand the saddler saying it is fine for walk, as walk s the pace a rub can be ground down into.

How well do you know your friend? One time I worked with a horse whose behaviour changed when a new member of staff arrived. I reported it to the stable manager, but they gave a few reasons why they thought it could be. Years later, after CCTV was installed, we found that the member of staff was more than rough with the horses. Poor horse had told me, but as the girl looked pleasant and was knowledgeable, I didn't pay enough attention to my own eyes.

I know her really well and do trust her so honestly don't think she has handled him roughly at all :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It could be that he is reacting to the unavoidable changes in his routine. I have had horses who 'sulked' after I have been away for a few days, even thought he horses are at home and their routine and carers haven't changed, otherwise.. Your horse sounds to be very insecure and I think it will take him a while to adjust to the fact that you are back to being able to put him out in the morning. He probably is one of those horses who needs a fixed, predictable routine and atm he doesn't know what is going to change next. There is nothig that you can do, except give him time to readjust, imo.

ETA and obviously, monitor him closely in case there is a physical reason for his behaviour.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Change of routine can just really upset some horses, with Skylla a change of yards resulted in stress ulcers which showed as an escalation of nervous behaviour.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Has anyone been feeding your horse? We have found over the years that some horses react very badly to a number of things in feed, or that people use as treats. Cut his diet down and ask that no one give him treats.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I wouldn't be impressed with the saddle fitter advising you to use a saddle that doesn't fit. You could do a lot of damage even in walk. You've definitely done the right thing by not using it. Did that saddle fitter sell you the saddle? If so I'd look for a different fitter to come and look at it.

The other problem is individual turnout. Some horses will never settle in it even with horses over the fence. When your friend turned him out, I guess she turned hers out straight after? Your chap has probably got used to not having to wait for company.

It's a big ask expecting a horse to be out on his own even if he can see horses in the distance. He's probably feeling stressed as he feels vulnerable which is leading to the bolshy behaviour. Would the other lady continue to put him out for you?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Has anyone been feeding your horse? We have found over the years that some horses react very badly to a number of things in feed, or that people use as treats. Cut his diet down and ask that no one give him treats.

No, no-one really gives treats on our yard. He literally has not even a handful of chaff with his supplements in (milk thistle and vit and mineral supplement).

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Nope. She would put J out and then do her jobs and ride her horse and then put him out, so he was basically in the same routine just without being ridden.
In that case I'd say the stress of being alone for a period of time is causing the escalation in behaviour. It is a big ask.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I wouldn't be impressed with the saddle fitter advising you to use a saddle that doesn't fit. You could do a lot of damage even in walk. You've definitely done the right thing by not using it. Did that saddle fitter sell you the saddle? If so I'd look for a different fitter to come and look at it.

The other problem is individual turnout. Some horses will never settle in it even with horses over the fence. When your friend turned him out, I guess she turned hers out straight after? Your chap has probably got used to not having to wait for company.

It's a big ask expecting a horse to be out on his own even if he can see horses in the distance. He's probably feeling stressed as he feels vulnerable which is leading to the bolshy behaviour. Would the other lady continue to put him out for you?

I am a bit too. Yes they are the saddlers own saddles. The saddler comes really highly recommended and I've never met one like it. Just feel a bit sad that I did ride him in it once when deep down I knew I shouldnt.

I think the indivdual turnout could be a problem for him. My friend wasn't turning her horse out at the same time, she made sure he was kept in a similar routine and did her jobs and rode her horse before turning him out.

To be fair the other yards horses are over the fence (next door) and he can touch them :(

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I am a bit too. Yes they are the saddlers own saddles. The saddler comes really highly recommended and I've never met one like it. Just feel a bit sad that I did ride him in it once when deep down I knew I shouldnt.

I think the indivdual turnout could be a problem for him. My friend wasn't turning her horse out at the same time, she made sure he was kept in a similar routine and did her jobs and rode her horse before turning him out.

To be fair the other yards horses are over the fence (next door) and he can touch them :(
Don't beat yourself up, you acted on the advice of a professional and you listened to yourself and stopped.

Oh I read it that he went out first so had a period if time with no one close to him. Do you know what his turnout arrangement was before you had him? Sometimes stress can take a while to show in horses because they try to 'cope' with the situation.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is possible that he got to know how long he would have to wait for company to appear, because your friend, presumably, took about the same length of time before putting her horse out, so was predictable, from his pov. Now he isn't able to rely on that because he hasn't seen your friend before he goes out. Does he have to go out first, or could you go to the yard a bit later currently?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
To be honest he spent 5/6 months being first out, at least for an hour and was "okay" about it. He now goes out and only has 30 mins to wait before any of our yard goes out. Putting him out is the last thing I do before I go to work. I cant ask anyone else to do him and I need to leave to go to work.

The only difference now is that I am not riding him in the morning like I did, but with saddle issues that's just not possible.

Unfortunately the turn out isn't my main concern its his behaviour in the stable/ out hacking/ walking to the field.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Worth getting his vision checked if he's become jumpy with routine tasks?

Ah I don't think I explained it, he isn't jumpy with routine tasks now, he was a worried boy (had been beaten previously I think). He now just walks calmly to the back of the stable and puts his head in the corner as if to say "no thank you".

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If he doesn't fuss when you are leading him back to the stable, I would imagine that he is anticipating being on his own in the morning. If you can't change your routine, then he will just have to get used to it, which I'm sure he will do in time.

ETA but some horses never like individual turnout.

Last edited:

Bellaboo18

Visit site
To be honest he spent 5/6 months being first out, at least for an hour and was "okay" about it. He now goes out and only has 30 mins to wait before any of our yard goes out. Putting him out is the last thing I do before I go to work. I cant ask anyone else to do him and I need to leave to go to work.

The only difference now is that I am not riding him in the morning like I did, but with saddle issues that's just not possible.

Unfortunately the turn out isn't my main concern its his behaviour in the stable/ out hacking/ walking to the field.
Unfortunately the turnout is likely to be linked to the behaviour in the stable, out hacking and walking to the field. I think it's stress related and although he may appear fine he's probably on high alert.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Fwiw Frank was at his most stressy/clingy when on individual turnout (not chosen by us someone else had left). In particular there was one pair of horses out 24/7 so he got used to them being there, so even if he had horses on the other 3 sides he was not good if they were taken in. It did effect his attitude in general too. It becomes a trigger stacking situation when they are anxious.

Can you offer to turn someone else's out when you turn him out? That's the only other thing I can think of but not ideal in current situ.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
A horse which goes in to the corner of his stable -head facing the wall would exclaim to me that he’s unhappy and had a bad experience with someone in the stable at some point. Does he normally look over the door?

He has a window and door and normally looks over both however its only when I go in the stable. He will happily eat his hay and as soon as I go in he slowly turns away from me, not panicked but definitely not happy. Its really sad to see. He is normally quite cheeky and inquisitive and its what made me take his temperature as I thought maybe he was under the weather.

I wonder if he has been getting too hot (only his neck and chest have been clipped).

Re: Turnout... unsure what i can do in all honesty. I nearly moved him before lockdown but I couldnt deal with part livery, I'm DIY and like to have the full responsibility but now I'm wondering if I should just look to move him :(

RHM

Visit site
My horse was similar when on individual turnout (had horses on both sides and was never completely alone) We lasted 6 months before I called it quits. Normally he is a happy affectionate pony but slowly he was becomes very spooky and really low. After about 4 months I couldn’t walk him to the field without a control head collar or bridle as he just didn’t want to go, that escalated to him planting and completely refusing to move. A couple of weeks back with others and he was straight back to his normal self. I’m sure individual turnout works for some but mine was utterly miserable with it. I would never ignore a change in behaviour they are trying to tell us something we just have to figure out what!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
My horse was similar when on individual turnout (had horses on both sides and was never completely alone) We lasted 6 months before I called it quits. Normally he is a happy affectionate pony but slowly he was becomes very spooky and really low. After about 4 months I couldn’t walk him to the field without a control head collar or bridle as he just didn’t want to go, that escalated to him planting and completely refusing to move. A couple of weeks back with others and he was straight back to his normal self. I’m sure individual turnout works for some but mine was utterly miserable with it. I would never ignore a change in behaviour they are trying to tell us something we just have to figure out what!

The past 2 horses I had didn't give a stuff about being on their own and would happily go out munching in the dark in winter. But I think he is struggling. Maybe the change of routine with me not being there as made him feel worse. I cant find any yards locally with herd turnout :( Its so stressful

RHM

Visit site
The past 2 horses I had didn't give a stuff about being on their own and would happily go out munching in the dark in winter. But I think he is struggling. Maybe the change of routine with me not being there as made him feel worse. I cant find any yards locally with herd turnout :( Its so stressful
Yeah I think it’s like us too, we can cope with things that aren’t ideal as long as everything else stays the same and then one little change can upset us way more than normal! It is a nightmare finding yards, do you know what he is like with others? If he is friendly and doesn’t have back shoes I would be asking others on the yard if they would mind if he went out with theirs? If it’s the paddock next door to his already then you could open it up so there is a bigger space to introduce them just in case.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Yeah I think it’s like us too, we can cope with things that aren’t ideal as long as everything else stays the same and then one little change can upset us way more than normal! It is a nightmare finding yards, do you know what he is like with others? If he is friendly and doesn’t have back shoes I would be asking others on the yard if they would mind if he went out with theirs? If it’s the paddock next door to his already then you could open it up so there is a bigger space to introduce them just in case.

That's probably accurate for him. He does have back shoes and unfortunately the 2 paddocks near him have horses that "need" to be on their own. I dont know how he is with others, I think he would be fine I think he would like to play but I dont think he would be nasty as long as there was enough grass/ hay to go round.

I'm highly worried now.