Horse being picked on in the field

Bellalily

Visit site
I'm hoping there are some peeps who have experience of this, as it is completely new to me.
I have always had my two in individual turnout, and they get along perfectly. The pony is the boss and the big lad basically does as he's told.
I moved them to a new yard about six weeks ago and they have been out with a horse who I was assured by the YO wouldn't be fussed with them.
They were all fine together for a few weeks, the one I don't own is in during the day as he has eyesight issues with the sunlight, so with mine being in at night, they didn't really spend all that much time together. They moved fields two weeks ago onto masses of grass, so I restricted the time mine were spending out, gradually lengthening it until I was happy they had adjusted tummy wise. They are now out 24/7.
Earlier in the week, the big chap came in with what looked suspiciously like chunks had been taken out of his face. As he is incredibly submissive and can be a bit of a wally, I thought maybe he'd caught himself on a tree or something.
Then tonight I went down and he has a large scrape on the back of one hind above the hock and several hoof prints across his backside which have taken the hair off. He is absolutely the most gentle horse ever, and never defends himself. Thankfully they are all barefoot and I did notice the pony giving the other one a major fingers up at him tonight when he threatened the big chap in front of the owner.
When I diplomatically suggested we had an issue, I was informed blah blah doesn't ever look for a scrap. Clearly he does and he is picking on mine.
There are no other fields for them, the only option for me is to bring both of mine in over night, which is a pain and an expense I could well do without. And anyway, surely it's not my two that are causing the problem.
So, before I blow a gasket and say too much to YO, how would you deal with it?
I am going to see her tomorrow when mine are in and she can see the damage for herself, but I sense a "shrug of shoulders" moment coming on.
Thanks for reading.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Where was the single horse before yours arrived at the yard? It might be that he was used to being alone and is struggling to settle with his new companions. I like every horse in a field to be in a similar routine, as the putting back together/taking away time is the danger time, ime for fights to break out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Three can be a nightmare number, especially if they’re on ‘odd’ turnout times. You either have to suck it up with crossed fingers or insist they have their own turnout. No need to blow a gasket- these things happen.

Bellalily

Visit site
Where was the single horse before yours arrived at the yard? It might be that he was used to being alone and is struggling to settle with his new companions. I like every horse in a field to be in a similar routine, as the putting back together/taking away time is the danger time, ime for fights to break out.
He was out on his own, but he clearly likes the company as he calls for them when I take mine away. That's a very good point thank you. Not fights though, just bullying. The most mine ever does is swish his tail.

millikins

Visit site
That is the only option I can think of as well. I will suggest it tomorrow and see what she says.

If they get to know each other better over a fence, reintroduction may prove possible too. My old connie has poor social skills with other geldings, either gets badly bullied or given half a chance is a horrid bully himself but he does settle eventually though usually after a period of increasing time spent with the new companion. Mine's fine with mares, he likes a bossy woman telling him what to do :)

Bellalily

Visit site
I spoke to YO and we’ve been relegated to a corner of the field, whilst bully boy gets the run of the rest of it. She wouldn’t go for just splitting the field in half. Oh and blah blah has never done anything like this before, and she tried to point the finger at my pony. I put a stop to that, but now have to poo pick the paddock and it’s a complete pain in the tubes. That said, at least the big chap is safe ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I spoke to YO and we’ve been relegated to a corner of the field, whilst bully boy gets the run of the rest of it. She wouldn’t go for just splitting the field in half. Oh and blah blah has never done anything like this before, and she tried to point the finger at my pony. I put a stop to that, but now have to poo pick the paddock and it’s a complete pain in the tubes. That said, at least the big chap is safe ?
Fund a new yard

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't suffer the tiny field saga ask to half it or move yards, I find 3 can work I've done it in my tiny just over 2 acre field sometimes it pays to separate the the two that are most bonded on regular basis then they all just seem to bond together and get on, I mean just short periods where just each pair bonded are left with the new horse it really doesn't take that long for them all to form a bond especially with geldings

Bellalily

Visit site
Thanks for the support, that’s also the opinion of others at the yard. I am actually in the process of buying a house out of my area, so I shall be moving in a few weeks. I have two yards to check out next week, but will only have a month or so to go. It will give me great pleasure to tell her where to stick her livery. I am really disappointed.