Horse bit fitting consultations?

ex racer rider

Visit site
Who has had a bit fitting consultation and found it worthwhile?
whose had one and doesn’t rate them?
If you don’t have consultations but have a horse whose tricky do you just go through a bunch of different ones and hope you find one after a few goes?
I’m having some bitting trouble with my mare and I’m thinking about a bit consultation but haven't had one before

Uliy

Visit site
Who has had a bit fitting consultation and found it worthwhile?
whose had one and doesn’t rate them?
If you don’t have consultations but have a horse whose tricky do you just go through a bunch of different ones and hope you find one after a few goes?
I’m having some bitting trouble with my mare and I’m thinking about a bit consultation but haven't had one before
I had one recently and it was great! I have very limited knowledge of how bits actually work though so I needed an expert ?

mine talked me through the confirmation of my mares mouth, what she would probably like, how she was going in the bit etc. Really useful!

Annagain

Visit site
I had one years ago, in the very early days of the service. Just being able to try lots of different bits in one go was great and my boy ended up in something that, on paper, never should have worked. He leaned terribly but the fitter identified that he was leaning to try to stop the bit moving in his mouth so we gave him something really still - a Myler hanging cheek mullen mouth - and, despite it being the sort of bit that can encourage leaning, he improved massively.

jnb

Visit site
I had one with my young cob with Hilary Vernon, very VERY highly recommended. He'd never been 100% happy in his mouth, she sorted it in one session, assessed his mouth and suggested a little eggbutt snaffle with a curve, I'd been convinced he'd like a loose ring..
Took him to his first dressage the following weekend and won!

Brownmare

Visit site
I have only experienced one second hand! I got a horse who arrived with a bit that had been fitted for her by a consultant (no idea which one). She seemed to like it but was never 100% in the contact, a little bit fussy and occasionally resistant, but as she is a generally fussy type and has other physical issues I just accepted it as normal for her. By chance recently I tried a completely different type of bit as a friend was raving about it and my girl simply loves it, she is so quiet in her mouth and so obviously happy in the contact that I now feel guilty for making her stay in her "fitted" bit for so long! I guess what I am trying to say is that there are good and bad in every profession and I would be wary of anyone who, for example, was pushing one particular brand etc.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Really useful for my big mouthed boy who needed 7.5" bits. Trying anything generally meant getting something made for £100+. The consultant brought loads of things, explained the shape and options suitable for his mouth, we tried two bits and he instantly went better in the second. I ordered it (and the rugby Pelham version for showing, with the same mouthpiece) for just £50 per bit. The bit is good quality and still looks like new. It saved me a lot of money.

Batgirl

Visit site
Had one, loved it, learned a lot. Made sure I went independent. On the day he fitted a £20 bit up to a £100 bit dependent on the horse, not the price. Everyone on my yard got benefit including the very experienced yard owner.

Somewhat Off The Way

Visit site
I had one and was pretty pleased at the time but in hindsight the only bits I was able to try were ones that are sold by a company they are affiliated with, so they get commission I guess. I bought a new bit from them and although it wasn't disastrous my horse would lean on it badly. I decided to hire a few bits from the bit bank and I've found one that my boy is going wonderfully in and all the leaning has stopped.
Also thinking back the bit fit lady made some pretty horrible remarks about my horse which I wouldn't put up with now. At the time I was so anxious about finding him something comfortable that I just ignored her, but thinking back makes my blood boil now.
Would I recommend? Hmm. I wouldn't have her back but of course all the fitters are different so some will be better than others. If there's a particular bit you want to try don't be fobbed off with just trying their own brands.

Foxglove

Visit site
I was / am very sceptical of a lot of bit / bridle fitters, particularly if they only fit one brand of bit and sell a certain brand of bridle which is then recommended to everyone regardless of whether their bridle is actually ok!

That said, my trainer recommended someone to speak to about my very strong ISH. I have struggled just to hang on to her and steer her round an elementary for the last couple of years.

The assessment was a revelation. The person recommended and I used had a vast array of different brands and looked at the horse holistically. As I ride her in a double it would have been extortionate to go by trial and error given the cost of Weymouths. After she had assessed what would most likely be the most suitable mouthpiece, I had the opportunity to try every brand going.

It was evident from one circle whether my mare was happy or not and she is not necessarily a horse that ever looked particularly uncomfortable in the contact so this was a little surprising. After 3.5hrs the combination I ended up with is not something I would ever have tried but for the fitting; and she is like a different horse. We are now working at Medium and taking steps towards Ad Med, something I just could have contemplated 6 months ago

Therefore with the right person I am definitely a convert!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'd be wary of the ones who are only trying to flog you one of their own (extortionately expensive) bits, but they can be a very useful opportunity for trialling lots of different bits.

Or find a coach who like me has an enormous bit collection and is happy to give you some help and advice and let you try them (without pressuring you to buy one) :)

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
If you get one who isn't pedalling a certain brand I'd say definitely worth it. We had a lady give a talk to the RC about bridle & bit fitting & I found it fascinating. Fully intend on having her out for my youngster.

fredflop

Visit site
I have used one of the bit fit consultants and the bit and bridle she recommended were totally wrong and didn’t fit properly.

used an independent one with far better results

Kaylum

Visit site
They will also talk about how your bridle fits. Many horses are wearing badly fitted bridles. Too tight too small too big.

Cowpony

Visit site
I've tried to book an appointment, consultant said she was starting to get back to normal but I've heard nothing further. I've got 4 people at the yard lined up, but got nothing..... This is since October last year

asmp

Visit site
I have used one of the bit fit consultants and the bit and bridle she recommended were totally wrong and didn’t fit properly.

used an independent one with far better results
I looked at the Fit Bit site recently and it looks as though they’re not a company anymore - more a site for people to advertise as an independent. It did concern me a bit (sorry about pun) that they seemed to be mainly advertising for people to take their qualification to become a fitter.

If anyone knows of someone who would do Hampshire/Wiltshire, (and doesn’t only have one brand), please let me know!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
We have had celina Harrison out to our yard a few times and she has been really good.

Tried so many different bits from different brands, mine made a noticeable improvement in the ns team up where as my friends horse preferred a £25 shires bit ?‍♀️

She did look at the bridle and yes is affiliated with horsemanship Saddlery who makes the bridles but as mine went amazingly in the bridle before we changed the bit for me changing the bridle as well wasnt a problem.

Ridingmoo

New User
Visit site
I had one recently and was really impressed. My horse was an idiot in the assessment and trying multiple bits blew her mind so we could no longer tell what was due to the bit and what was because we had faffed with her. The lady, because she wasn't truly happy with how we ended suggested I try the bit and then get back to her.
After a week I could clearly see my horse wasn't happy so she returned for a second consultation and we had a much better start as we had already written off a lot of options. She only charged me for 1 consultation and the new bit, not for the second consultation or the trial as she knew we hadn't ended the first convinced she was happy with the bit that she had suggested. It was very kind of her as it wasn't her fault we couldn't continue the first consultation until we were happy!
I would highly recommend her and think it was worth it. We only adjustd the bit slightly (changed cheek piece as she liked the turtle top mouth piece that I already had) but it was nice to have been able to try a load of options to establish that was what was needed.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i watched a friend's consultation which was very interesting and she did end up in a bit i had suggested previously which made me feel a bit better about my own understanding of bits and what the horse is telling you :p Her fitter had all brands and the only ones you couldn't trial were the soft rubber ones like nathes which are generally never offered on trial. she also had the horsemanship saddlery bridles and tbh friend's bridle didn't fit either so it was worth doing, though frankly i don't think it's that hard to fit a bridle correctly if you aren't attempting to buy off the peg.

I'd be interested for my welshie because I am never quite convinced I've got the right weymouth/bradoon combo for her despite a fair few trials, i had a clinic scheduled and... then covid :rolleyes:

Griffin

Visit site
I have had one and it has made such a difference to my mare. A friend has also had a consultation with great success.

They have a range of bits and price points for them which is really good (my mare preferred a lower to mid range priced bit but we tried some expensive ones too, which she actively disliked). There was no pressure and I actually bought a bridle too. I now have a very happy mare who is just so much more relaxed in her work.

I think also, in the long run, it does save you money. I must have spent about £80 on bits that she disliked and was about to spend out on an NS bit (which incidentally we tried in the consultation and she hated), which would have been a total waste of money.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
A friend had a Hilary Vernon one which I attended. Found it useless. She didn't listen to what my friend was telling her about the horse, tried pushing a bit which the horse made very clear she didn't like and tbh I found her downright rude.

I would absolutely consider it from someone who isn't trying to push their own brand onto you though.