Horse Buying Quandary -Urgent Advice Needed??

Flame_

Visit site
If he's a sound, pretty straightforward, ridden, purebred gelding and his conformation's good he'll sell for the asking price unless the sellers are asking a cheeky amount.

gallopingby

Visit site
If he's a sound, pretty straightforward, ridden, purebred gelding and his conformation's good he'll sell for the asking price unless the sellers are asking a cheeky amount.
Absolutely - there are still lots of people who think a cheeky offer will bring the result they want, hopefully they’re beginning to realise that a sound straightforward horse is worth its weight in gold.
Prices seem to have risen to more realistic levels recently, and Horsequest appears to be selling in some cases within hours of a listing. If it’s meant to be then it will work out, otherwise the right one will be waiting for you. No point stressing.

Arabella77

Visit site
Thanks all ...I’ve left my offer with them still but not heard back so decided if it’s meant to be it will be! I did spot the 11yo Arab in horse quest but was ideally looking for under 10yrs and wasn’t sure on his colour. He was striking though?I’ve since been kindly put in touch with a show yard in Gloucester that we’re advertising a lovely mare. I’m viewing her on Friday! If anyone knows a good freelance coach up that way, do let me know, as need to hire one to come with me as a second pair of eyes! Thank you for all your advice and experiences, very helpful ??

Arabella77

Visit site
Have you looked on Arabian lines?

I did see a nice ridden Arab mare on preloved that looked nice, I agree the good ridden ones don't come up often and are pricey.

Where are you? I might be able to help I have Arabs myself so may know of something somewhere.

Thank you, I’m in Leicestershire but willing to travel ideally 2/3hrs Max. I’m in gloucestershire on Friday viewing one so if you know any in that area or on my route that would be fab! Thank you ?

Buster2020

Visit site
Op I hope you don’t mind me asking but what’s you’re your budget. I have heard that Arabs are expensive. I hope the viewing goes well on Friday.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Arabs were definitely crazy expensive in the 80's especially in the US. I think that these days in the UK they - and PBAs - are very good value. Being out of fashion has kept the prices down. OK, some show horses may sell for big money to the middle east, but the normal everyday horses that would suit an ordinary rider who wants to hack and do local show level things are affordable.

Flame_

Visit site
Arabs were definitely crazy expensive in the 80's especially in the US. I think that these days in the UK they - and PBAs - are very good value. Being out of fashion has kept the prices down. OK, some show horses may sell for big money to the middle east, but the normal everyday horses that would suit an ordinary rider who wants to hack and do local show level things are affordable.

I totally agree that arab values, like section Ds, are generally awesome compared to sports horses when for the bulk of one/two horse owners in many ways they suit better, but there just aren't many. I looked for backed young arabs on 3 occasions and I was always waiting for an ad to appear anywhere in England or Wales for something to even view. There will be other people in this situation and unless the horse is overpriced or has a health or soundness issue then it won't be unsold for long. There's also the thing that sports horses are bred purely to be bought and sold and everyone's in the bargaining game, arab owners and breeders tend (generalising, sorry) to be more sentimental and attached than that so its wise to tred carefully with the sellers' feelings or they'll probably just keep the horse, lol!

gryff

Visit site
The one I saw is 7 15.1 grey Arab mare has a good ridden showing record and dressage £5,500 in Carmarthenshire
This is the one I was coming on to recommend. She's lovely and the Romac breeding seems to be able to turn its hand to anything.
She's not far off the M4, so wouldn't be a bad journey for you. She's also been on the market for a little while, so the owners may be willing to negotiate ?‍♀️

Arabella77

Visit site
This is the one I was coming on to recommend. She's lovely and the Romac breeding seems to be able to turn its hand to anything.
She's not far off the M4, so wouldn't be a bad journey for you. She's also been on the market for a little while, so the owners may be willing to negotiate ?‍♀️

thank you i saw her half brother it turns out, I will check the route again and have a think. I do feel she’s too good for me though?hopefully the one on Friday may be a winner ??

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I know lovely bred horses if I was looking myself she would be just what I would want.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Thanks all ...I’ve left my offer with them still but not heard back so decided if it’s meant to be it will be! I did spot the 11yo Arab in horse quest but was ideally looking for under 10yrs and wasn’t sure on his colour. He was striking though?I’ve since been kindly put in touch with a show yard in Gloucester that we’re advertising a lovely mare. I’m viewing her on Friday! If anyone knows a good freelance coach up that way, do let me know, as need to hire one to come with me as a second pair of eyes! Thank you for all your advice and experiences, very helpful ??

dont forget he was only backed recently, maybe he was a stallion and they gelded him to be sold as ridden so he wont have many ridden miles on the clock. worth a look as he is in your budget as well..

Arabella77

Visit site
Have you looked on Arabian lines?

I did see a nice ridden Arab mare on preloved that looked nice, I agree the good ridden ones don't come up often and are pricey.

Where are you? I might be able to help I have Arabs myself so may know of something somewhere.

thank you I’m in Leicestershire but willling to travel nationwide for right potentials ?

Arabella77

Visit site
UPDATE
im still looking? drove to Gloucestershire yesterday to view another one ...I hired a coach up there who came with me, really helpful......but sadly the mare was a lot greener, immature and seemed smaller than advertised so we declined. Why is it there’s never anything suitable when you’re looking?! Am still thinking about the first horse but I expect he will be sold now so I’m trying to forget about it. The search continues...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
UPDATE
im still looking? drove to Gloucestershire yesterday to view another one ...I hired a coach up there who came with me, really helpful......but sadly the mare was a lot greener, immature and seemed smaller than advertised so we declined. Why is it there’s never anything suitable when you’re looking?! Am still thinking about the first horse but I expect he will be sold now so I’m trying to forget about it. The search continues...

You could ring and ask if he is still available then offer the asking price, if he is.

HashRouge

Visit site
You could ring and ask if he is still available then offer the asking price, if he is.
I'd do that, worth asking?
I'd also be inclined to ring about that 15.2hh 11 yr old on Horse Quest if he's anywhere nearish to you. I know you thought he was maybe too old, but worth a view possibly?

Out of interest whereabout are you Arabella77? I know one that might be for sale - 15.3hh grey gelding, 7 years old. Quite green but nice.

Buster2020

Visit site
UPDATE
It took my while to find my first horse don’t worry you will find a horse.