horse charities

mle22

Visit site
After reading some of the threads/posts today where people were so vociferous about horse welfare, I have a suggestion. How about if everybody {who doesn't already}, sends some money to a charity like the Brooke Hospital, who do such wonderful work to prevent suffering. What a difference it would make.

mle22

Visit site
If you have seen any of the literature from the Brooke - water troughs for working donkeys in hot countries, training in basic welfare for their owners - and the history of the charity ...
I don't work for them by the way!! Just think they are doing a great job.

Smash

Visit site
Give money so other people can offload their horses because they don't want to pay for retirement livery?

I think not. Welfare cases for the sake of the horse? Yes. Retirement for the sake of the owner? No.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
What a strange suggestion, I would assume that the people who are vociferous about horse welfare already use the money they earn to ensure the welfare of some horses. Many will send money to the charities already, spend their time volunteering etc. I find your suggestion somewhat patronising.

mle22

Visit site
I don't think the donkeys and horses the Brooke deal with get the chance to retire!! Where are you coming from Smash? I'm talking about genuine concern for welfare - making an actual difference - not just pontificating in some kind of holier than thou manner. Get a grip.

clairel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What a strange suggestion, I would assume that the people who are vociferous about horse welfare already use the money they earn to ensure the welfare of some horses. Many will send money to the charities already, spend their time volunteering etc. I find your suggestion somewhat patronising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was just a topic for discussion... after all that is what a forum is for...right?!
I think it would be interesting to see how many horsey people actually contribute to horsey charities?!
* puts hands up* I know I don't!
crazy.gif

Smash

Visit site
You have no idea what I, or anyone else give to charity. Just because people don't feel the need to shout about it doesn't mean they do Jack.

Personally, I prefer to give my time rather than money, but I do it because I want to, not because I'm expecting some congratulations for doing so.

MooMoo

Visit site
I'd rather not get mixed up in the JG/Amersham thing thank you. And i dont intend to start a discussion about it on here either.

I still dont see your point, if they can help a horse/pony/donkey then why shouldnt they? I think i have missed something from that completely.

YorksG

Visit site
You appeared to be suggesting that people who were vociferous about horse welfare would be unable to think of helping equine charities without your suggesting it.
Re clairel, I do not intend to discuss any charity donations I may or may not make on an open forum.

mle22

Visit site
Smash - you are right I do have no idea. That's not the point. I was just suggesting that if more of us did it would be a good thing. I'm not sure where the aggression is coming from. Anna Sewell made a difference with Black Beauty in this country and we can help make a difference in other countries.

clairel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You have no idea what I, or anyone else give to charity. Just because people don't feel the need to shout about it doesn't mean they do Jack.

Personally, I prefer to give my time rather than money, but I do it because I want to, not because I'm expecting some congratulations for doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never mentioned how much anyone contributed, just feel it would be interesting to know if the people on here supported charities?!
There is no alternate motive here!
Why the hell is everyone so defensive today?!

clairel

Visit site
No not you MooMoo!
It's just I've been on here twice today and both times have ended up feeling annoyed at peoples reaction to some of the posts. Just because it is a fairly anonomous forum doesn't mean you can treat people however you want!
A bit of kindness and tact goes a long way! Were not all perfect!

YorksG

Visit site
If you consistantly get a particular type of respons to your posts, then perhaps it would be wise to look at how you come across in your posts?

MooMoo

Visit site
Yayy!! Phew...

I dont see why it matters if people know if you do or dont give to charity. Is it really that big a deal?

I dont donate (if i see a collection or something at a show i usually do), I feel bad about that. At the moment I cant drive but when I can I'm hopefully going to sign up as a volenteer (sp?!) for a horse charity. They're pretty valuble too, plus I think it would give me some good experience.

D

Donkeymad

Crikey, so many aggressive threads here tonight!

I spent today giving donkey and carriage rides. Every penny I took was donated to a local Animal Hospital. A few weeks ago I did the same for a local Cat Rescue. I have taken in a neglected old donkey, for life. Shall I go on?
Personally. I do not like to 'boast' about what I do or how much I give. However, I see no reason not to recommend donating. Charities need help raising funds. The brooke is one I am happy to support, I believe a very high percentage of their donations goes into helping the animals. They do not take in peoples 'cast offs' but work abroad educating people in caring for their animals, that they rely on for their income, in order to keep them healthy and pain free.

mle22

Visit site
Yes you are right YorksG, having a bit of humility and human kindness does seem to consistently bring about a certain strange response.

YorksG

Visit site
Does it, the tone of the posts I have read do not seem to have any of these qualities. Rather I have found them to be hectoring and rude.

clairel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you consistantly get a particular type of respons to your posts, then perhaps it would be wise to look at how you come across in your posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about responses to my posts!
I'm not that bothered about how I come across as I'm big enough and ugly enough to deal with the consequences.
There has been some unjustified reactions on a couple of posts today.
This post was not called who wants a star on their arse post... it was I believe a genuine question?!
Don't reply if you don't like the question!!!

barnybaby

Visit site
To be honest, I don't give to any animal charities anymore.

After doing some very deep research I believe my reasons for no longer giving to these charities are indeed justified. I will not air these reasons as I don't wish to get into a debate.