Horse cremation/incineration

Fransurrey

Visit site
A thread I never wanted to write. My pony is quite ill.and there's a real chance I'll lose him if he doesn't improve. After 2 days, he's not responding to treatment and he's an old boy. I'm therefore thinking of my options, as I won't be able to when the time comes. Hoping to donate him to my local vet school, but if not, how much is a cremation for a pony of around 300 kg? Cost will probably determine whether I go for individual or not.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I am so sorry xx

I recently had mine cremated. It was around the £350 mark inc collection. She was 14.2, I opted for group cremation and no ashes. I did take some hair instead.

Pc2003

Visit site
I’m sorry. It’s a horrible time.

When I had my childhood pony of a lifetime pts in 2012 I opted for individual cremation and ashes back in a presentation box etc. In hindsight I probably wasn’t thinking straight at the time and didn’t check costs etc. When I got the bill it was over 1000 pounds inc euthanasia etc. I struggled to pay it.
So whilst she still sits in my living room now, I wouldn’t have it done again. Take care x

Fransurrey

Visit site
Thanks, guys. I did think individual would be expensive. I would ring them direct and ask, but I cry when I think about it, so not sure the conversation would be meaningful. I did think fallen stock, too. Our hunt does have an incinerator and I'm sure I can find the contact somewhere. I know with my cats I just see a body, rather than 'them' when they're pts, but of course they're small enough to bury at home. At the mo, I'm erring towards fallen stock and take mane hair (it's long!).

The Trooper

Visit site
I can't comment on the disposal method, but it cost £180 for a friend of mine to have her
Thanks, guys. I did think individual would be expensive. I would ring them direct and ask, but I cry when I think about it, so not sure the conversation would be meaningful. I did think fallen stock, too. Our hunt does have an incinerator and I'm sure I can find the contact somewhere. I know with my cats I just see a body, rather than 'them' when they're pts, but of course they're small enough to bury at home. At the mo, I'm erring towards fallen stock and take mane hair (it's long!).

I'm so sorry Fran, i'll just share my experience with you.

My friend had a mare PTS a few months ago and we got the local fallen stock guys to come and uplift her. The Gent who came out to collect her was fantastically dignified and respectful.

If you do choose to use fallen stock please make sure you are not there/not looking in their direction when they are loading your lad onto the wagon. Say your goodbye and leave them to it.

Stay strong x

Fransurrey

Visit site
I can't comment on the disposal method, but it cost £180 for a friend of mine to have her

I'm so sorry Fran, i'll just share my experience with you.

My friend had a mare PTS a few months ago and we got the local fallen stock guys to come and uplift her. The Gent who came out to collect her was fantastically dignified and respectful.

If you do choose to use fallen stock please make sure you are not there/not looking in their direction when they are loading your lad onto the wagon. Say your goodbye and leave them to it.

Stay strong x
Thanks, Trooper. I've seen it done and know there's not a lot of dignity involved. The guy wasn't rude, but not exactly sentimental, either. Sadly there's no polite way of moving such a large dead weight, is there?

Hoping I'll not need any of these options, but he's been iffy for a little while. I put the loose poos down to mild weather (he has EMS), but he suddenly went ataxic overnight into NYE. That and the lack of response to antibiotics and bute suggests to me something more sinister and I'm not putting a 27 yo through the mill. It's bad enough stabbing him in the muscle every morning to give i.m. antibiotics.

twiggy2

Visit site
Don't worry about crying on the phone, it's something they will experience often. Many people phone thinking they are ready and are not, it's part of offering cremation services, you may even find it helpful to talk things through with someone who is not emotionally invested in what is happening but has some understanding of what you are going through.

ihatework

Visit site
For a group cremation with no returned ashes I think it was around the £250 mark. If you want individual with the ashes returned I’m pretty sure it started £650 upwards, depending on how you wanted the ashes returned - sack, wicker basket, oak casket etc - I think the latter was nearer 1K.

Interestingly, when I talked it through with the knacker man, he said to only have them back if I specifically knew what I wanted to do with them and to bear in mind my 16.2hh would generate approx 20kg of ash!! That really helped my decision to have a group cremation and to put money into a really nice, bespoke piece of jewellery instead.

tashcat

Visit site
Ours was around £400 mark just for the cremation and ashes returned (vet bill was nearly £3k).

We lost ours in hospital but in a way that worked out for the best, as I got to sit with him for a while after we lost him, and then didn't have to stay and witness the disposal.

His ashes are in a beautiful handmade wooden box in the house and I really appreciate that I can still go and sit with him. We also took tail but even 2 years later I can't bring myself to do anything it as it feels too final, as silly as that sounds.

So sorry OP, thinking of you.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I lost my mare in November last year, PTS was £183 and removal was £140 that was without ashes back and was not individual, bloke was nice and pleasant, I went for a walk wile my daughter took charge while she was removed. I took mane and tail so I could make something with her hair.

honetpot

Visit site
I have used the hunt and two fallen stock companies and they have all been really good. I go away for 20 mins and come back and it’s all cleared up. I leave a bucket of soil. The hardest thing is the head collar hung up, I am not overly sentimental but I can not bare to move it.

pippixox

Visit site
Not got my bill yet for standard pts and disposal. Individual is crazy money and I don’t feel attached to ashes. My vets came to PTS and I got him sedated first before the big needle, so he was half asleep in my arms. Vet then held the rope when they fell due to the thud. I sat on the floor with him for a minute and then I walked away while the vet called the disposal man who was politely waiting out of sight up the road until I was ready. Well organised and dignified, plus I didn’t have to do the extra phone call to them or stand and watch the winch.

pippixox

Visit site
Socks head collar is still hanging by the barn, can’t bring myself to move it after a put it their after I said goodbye

LaurenBay

Visit site
I kept my mares head collar along with a few other bits, her stable name plaque, a fleece rug and a brush. I also kept some tail hair, which the lovely HHO elves clubbed together and got me a voucher to make a bracelet.

The vet made the call to the people who collected her, I don't think I could have done it. The call with the vet is when it really hit me and I broke down in tears and cried myself to sleep. Can your vets make the arrangements for you?

OP I am truly sorry you are facing this, my advice would be to spoil your Horse as much as you can and have someone with you who can drive you home after (I found I was quite shaken) I also didn't book anything for the rest of the day so I could go home.

Regarding the ashes coming back to you, I guess it really is a personal preference. I didn't have my Horses ashes back for 2 reasons. 1. cost was almost 1k. 2. friends that have had the ashes back have all said they wish they hadn't, they paid a lot of money and they don't have room for the ashes and most are just sitting in the boxes in cupboards. They made the decision when they were very emotional and fragile. To me once the Horse has passed they are gone and the ashes are not them. But I can appreciate to some people will take comfort in having the ashes back. But don't feel that you have too. The people I used sent me a lovely card as did my vet.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Our local hunt came for my girl, huntsman was great, very respectful and carried out my wishes. I took hair and some fur from her cost me £130.

My friend had her old boy PTS by vet due to colic. It was about £200 for the vet and cremation was nearly £400. Lovely gent collected him as she couldn't be there but it all went smoothly.

Sorry your chap isn't well.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I believe that when the spirit has left the body, then the body is just dead meat, so I don't have the ashes back. It is cheaper that way, and I have said my goodbyes and left them to it. Our fallen stock guy actually runs a maggot farm for fishermen. The men who come out are fantastic, polite, understanding and take time to tell me how wonderful my horse was. I have no issues with what they do after they have gone, and I think I paid £200 for removal. Well worth the money as they arrive well before time and park just up the road, then wait for the vet and then wait until the deed is done before even stepping onto the property.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We lost 2 last winter, both about 16hh. The Equine Crematorium came to shoot and remove them both, group cremation, no ashes returned. The cost for each was £210 for the whole thing. I second the advice to not watch the removal, that really isn't a memory that you need.

ETA, I would recommend the service to any-one.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hoping I'll not need any of these options, but he's been iffy for a little while. I put the loose poos down to mild weather (he has EMS), but he suddenly went ataxic overnight into NYE. That and the lack of response to antibiotics and bute suggests to me something more sinister and I'm not putting a 27 yo through the mill. It's bad enough stabbing him in the muscle every morning to give i.m. antibiotics.

I'm in the same county as you, if you want to chat, or need help, drop me a PM with your number and I'll call x

The collectors I use are the same cost whether they just collect or pts and collect, nice chaps, very considerate.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm in the same county as you, if you want to chat, or need help, drop me a PM with your number and I'll call x

The collectors I use are the same cost whether they just collect or pts and collect, nice chaps, very considerate.
That's really sweet of you, thanks. About to go up and give evening feed/bute. Who knows, he may yet perk up. I think we're lucky in Surrey to be spoilt for choice. I agree about ashes, I think. It's something I considered for him because he is my first pony - been in my life for 25 years. I may well run home. I just can't see me wanting to be around anyone. Haven't asked vet if they can make the call, but I'm sure they will. I'll most likely be booking return visit on Friday and will talk it through then - even if he's started recovery at least I'd know for the future.

At the mo, I've just been considering injection, rather than bullet, I think because I want to hold him. I've seen the bolt gun used on deer, though, so will think about it. It would make things easier, as I'd only have to deal with one set of people.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm glad I posted here. Let's hope this is all academic, but at his age, I'm not optimistic, especially as I've only ever had to get the vet out to him once before, when he had LGL in 2008!

3OldPonies

Visit site
So sorry to hear you are facing up to something so traumatic. The only advice I can give is based on when I lost my beautiful Prince last March in similar circumstances. I feel tremendously guilty that I let him go a day too late and he had the most awful night of his life beforehand because stupidly I thought he was just suffering the usual upset that he occasionally had trouble with for years before because of the snow and stress that ensued because of it. He was 29. I know it's a really, really, horrible, terrible thing to get to grips with, but you sound a wonderful owner, and although I don't know you, I just don't want anyone to have the guilt feelings that I do months later.

For what it's worth, PTS (injection)and emergency vet examination (it all happened on a Sunday) were about £400 and group cremation, no ashes back was around £220.

Chippers1

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are going through this. I had my old pony PTS and cremated by the same company. They use the bolt gun and i chose not to hold him at the time but he was very kind and gave me as much time as i needed. They also didn't mind that i corresponded only by email as i couldn't bear to actually talk about it. I chose them too because I could book a specific time and date rather than when the vet was able to come. He was my first pony too and very laminitic (normally was kept in a turnout pen with hay) so had his last day out in a field with a huge sugary feed. He was individually cremated and I had all his ashes returned in a wicker box which they had included some mane and tail hair in. He was about 300kg and it cost me £600, which I figured was 3 months livery so was do able. His ashes are buried in my mum's garden with a pear tree planted on top as pears were his favourite 😊

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
So sorry to hear you are going through this.
The vet sorted out disposal for me as I was in a state at the time but the last who came shot and removed her. It was around £140 cash and I took tail hair, though i still haven't opened the bag it's in after 18 months. I chose not to have ashes back so she went as a group cremation at the pet crematorium

Sending a hug at a horrible time for you ❤

TelH

Visit site
My old boy died suddenly from a heart attack about 18 months ago. He weighed approx 325kg. I paid for collection of his body, individual cremation, ashes returned in a basket and his shoes removed and returned with his ashes. It was around £650.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sending very best wishes and hoping the old boy can rally for you. I opted for individual cremation some years ago now with a sizable horse. It was the wrong decision and left me with a massive bill. I was stunned at the amount of ash that was returned in a large hessian sack. It took 2 of us to pick it up and I felt absolutely no compassion at all despite having owned and loved the horse from 6 months of age to 28 yrs of age. This massive brown sack was not reminding me of the ever naughty, full of fun and mad as a box of frogs Welsh cob affectionately known as Jonesy.

Scattering the ashes was not feasible due to the quantity so we dug a hole under a tree in his favourite spot out in the fields and I put his rug in the hole with the ashes on top. I did cry at that point but it was the sight of his rug in a hole rather than the ashes that upset me. In hindsight I should have said my goodbyes when the vet was with us and left it at that. I have learnt from that experience and now realise that the body is a vessel for the character and soul of my horses. When the final kindness has been done only the soul and memories remain in my mind and the knowledge I did my best for them, they didn't suffer and only knew kindness from start to end of their time with me.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have learnt from that experience and now realise that the body is a vessel for the character and soul of my horses.

This was very much brought home to me when I had a dog pts at home. She was 15 yrs old, terrified of the vet's surgery ever since she had to stay overnight and lived with 6 other dogs of varying ages and sizes, who all loved her to bits. The vet did the deed with her lying on the rug in front of the fire, the other dogs stood back respectfully until the vet stood up, then the others rushed to say hello, standing on the body, as if it were the rug. They would never have done that when she was alive, they treated her with respect but they knew that the essential Cassie was no longer there.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Coming back to update.
It appears he has rallied! Wednesday evening I discovered that he'd eaten pretty much all the hay I'd put out (a lot!) and had his head in the feed bin. I saw a couple of poos with some form to them, too, although shelter wall still splattered, as were his legs.

Yesterday there was more form to the poo. I didn't even have to wash his bum and couldn't take temp as bum was so dry and I didn't have Vaseline. I gave 3rd i.m antibiotics yesterday morning and he objected massively. I chose another spot to day 1 (day 2 was other side) and he bucked so high the needle and syringe flew out. Caught it in my hand and so had to stab another bit. Due to return of appetite, lack of staggering and temp coming down (now normal from 41), vet thinks he's doing well and I picked up oral antibiotics yesterday afternoon. He ate that fine today and with some solid poos I decided to risk him in a smaĺl paddock which has little grass. I'm penning him back in this eve and all being well he'll go back out with his lady tomorrow. He's lost the severely tucked up look and now looks fat!! I honestly can't believe the turn around in him! We're not out of the woods completely, as the drugs may still be masking something more sinister. If he continues to improve, he'll be checked over next week anyway, as they're all having teeth done.

What a roller coaster, eh?? :-/