Horse Cremation

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
This is a very touchy subject for me (as I am waiting for my girl's ashes to come home.)

In 1995 I used a company in cheltenham which my vet organized. Very nice truck was clean (I always check) .(since a bad incident)
Got a nice letter from them too.

When I lost my pony in 2007 I used one again recommended, though I thought it was the same as vets did not say different.

Truck clean sympathetic etc GEBS.

Well Same company for my mare of a lifetime. Truck smelt was dirty/ muddy . I made him clean it a bit.................. I said already I wanted her to travel solo.

Today I checked and my cheque had not cleared so ask livery to ring them for me . Abrupt guy said * oh call call again and *** will answer* Why the hell did he not pass the phone to *** I don't know.

Livery phoned again spoke to **** and said My friend is too upset to call and wonders why cheque has not cleared and wants her home for Christmas. *** said "Oh I will return *IT* tomorrow or thurs". MY friend said " she is not an it" " oh sorry" he said.

Now this is from a company who say they will treat the animals with respect while they are in their care. This should include when they are over the rainbow too , not just body it should include after.

Now does anyone know of a good horse cremation for future reference for me and any one I know or know the name of the one in cheltenham they might have changed names as this was 1995.

Just goes to show If I had not checked the truck grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Loosing a horse/ pet is hard enough without being treated like this :(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:

Snozzo

Visit site
Hi, how upsetting for you to have to go through that.

I sadly had to have my very special pony pts at a show in Worcestershire and on the recommendation of a fellow competitor used James and Mandy Howell, Individual pet and equine cremation at Stourport on Severn. They were absolutely superb and treated both Snowy and myself with total respect and compassion through the whole process. Would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

unbalanced

Visit site
I haven't got any recommendations, I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this is being made any harder than it needs to be for you. Hugs xxx

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Its such a hard thing to go through.

I lost my lad in June.

So sad and still miss him terrible.

But once they are gone they are gone.
Whether the truck is dirthy or not doesnt affect the horse.
To the people working their its just a job, if they took it personally then they couldnt do that sort of job so to them the horses are all just "its".

KSR

Visit site
The people I use in the midlands are as respectful and professional as I and my colleagues are when removing someone's mum/dad/granny/grandpa/child from their place of death..

Imagine the uproar if us funeral service professionals treated our deceaseds as "it's"..

Providing equine cremation services is as important to many owners as the correct procedures for a funeral.. If you advertise to provide a service, it should be done to the best of their ability.. It is different from fallen livestock recovery or a run of the mill slaughterhouse..

Just a job yes.. Correct ways of doing things, yes..

Just my opinion, having been on the receiving end of devastating treatment in the past..

riding_high

Visit site
summerleaze pet crematorium in south wales, very nice people. when they travelled across the bridge to collect my old mare they didn't mind that it was late at night and were very sympathetic and considerate. the guy explained to my OH what would happen and if he wanted to leave before he started to load her.

they brought her ashes back to me in person with a lovely card and they also put a picture of her in a frame (i didn't know my OH gave them a picture of her) and returned to me.

Pale Rider

Visit site
You have my condolences, we lost one of ours last week. A real old man in his mid to late thirties, not quite sure how old he was but we got him as a 6yr old in 1980. He'd started going blind and dropping weight so we thought it was time. We were all very sad and upset.

When the deed was done, he went in the local knackermans fallen stock waggon. My view is when they are gone they are gone, its what happens in life that is important.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Grafton breavement service. They are fab. Used them for 2 of my horses Won't have anyone else

that is what the initials stand for in my post. This is who did her. First time was fine this time I am not happy
No joke the truck smelt like rotting carcasses. The truck should be clean IMO if your spending over £ 700 on individual.
cremation

Pale Rider I understand your views there are lots of people who think that way. I have friends too who think that way, its just a body etc

There are lots of people who think there is life after death or like to have ashes back etc, I think different I want her truck to be how a hearse should be clean . I mean how long would it take to hose it out?

And when their web site says

I take great care to ensure that each horse that is with me for their end is carefully treated and respected.
When the time comes, be it planned or unforeseen circumstances, Equine Bereavement Services is there to make it as easy as possible for you

How can it be easy when owner see the truck and has to chase them to return the horse only for them to say "oh when did we do her", they should know, this is why I could not make the call they should phone us and say When is it convenient to bring ( horses name) home. Not too much to ask IMO

When the time comes for our cherished horses to leave us its a very personal thing how we as individuals choose
them to go, and what service we want. None are wrong or right its just the chosen option by the owner

This is not so if truck is dirty and smells, Some owners like to watch them hauled in (I could not) . Owner could smell and view the inside of the truck and see the state its in.

I think if you offer as an owner to pay extra for your horse to be picked up solo ( as I did) rather than a buy one get one free and dump one persons horse onto another Its wrong .

When the pony was picked up in september the owner had to have PM as they needed to see how bad the leukemia was etc, well all this blood would have spilled out onto the shire below then onto the yard and a trail up the road. .
Sorry but that is me I do not think its right specially when children come here and see trail blood etc.

Last edited:

Buds_mum

Visit site
As with pr we used the fell monger for silvers body, it felt right for *him*, he went to the hounds. He midly tolerated human company and would not like to be sat on my shelf imo.
Fell mongers are where considerate, just business like. You expect though so not too bad.

You have paid and used a service of which you expect to handled as a customer in a kind sympathetic way, it really isn't on, I feel for you.
For what it worth if god forbid anything happened to buds, or when it does, I will have his ashes back as he would like nothing more than living in the house like a large dog if he could :p

I do hope you get your mare home to you soon xxx

Buds_mum

Visit site
Can't edit on my phone. Even the fell mongers lorry was spotless. And the guy patted his neck before winching him.
So you should expect top class from a crematorium x

BlackVelvet

Visit site
How awful!

When I lost my lad I dealt with a lovely company, I rang her in tears and she rearranged her day so they could go and pick him up asap so he wasnt left at the vets. He was dropped off 2 days later and they carried his ashes into my horse and spent time talking over how he was looked after and how she would never pull an animal around. She made a horrible situation a litter more bearable, I cant imagine how horrible it must be for you to be spoken to like that..

fizzer

Visit site
I completely agree, our animals are like family and we give them the send off they deserve. People have different views and each will do as they see fit.

We used Kingshill from Warwickshire the last time and they were spot on. When OH picked our little youngster up we lost they took him to a little quiet room which was dedicated for this purpose and he was on the table with a lovely little flower arrangement. OH said it bought tears to his eyes as it was so moving. They were very understanding and very professional.

Highlands

Visit site
Hi, how upsetting for you to have to go through that.

I sadly had to have my very special pony pts at a show in Worcestershire and on the recommendation of a fellow competitor used James and Mandy Howell, Individual pet and equine cremation at Stourport on Severn. They were absolutely superb and treated both Snowy and myself with total respect and compassion through the whole process. Would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

The Howells were wonderful when we lost our beloved girl, typically she never did anything by halfs and died on top of a hill after loads of rain on water meadow. I was crying my eyes out. Since we were local they were out within 40 mins, collected and rang to say that had got her back safely. They saved her rug shoes and mane for us. They have had 2 of our dogs and both times have been professional and helpful. I live along a next lane and there was loads of opposition to it but it is well run and is a great example of an excellent business.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Don't read if you are going to be offended but just setting out some facts of life re some pet cremations for you all.

There are some pet cremation services that will fill your cask with any ashes, not necessarily your own animal and all of them are rip off merchants when you actually analyse their costs and what they charge you which is another reason why I would never recommend cremation at all to anyone. If you want something other than your precious memories to remember them by then I'd suggest locks of mane or their shoes as a more cost effective exercise at a sad time but you all see death differently and need different things to be able to grieve, I appreciate that. Good job we are different else they'd all be out of business.
Sorry you had this hassle L, but looking at it from their side it could well be they are very busy, their previous collection over ran on time so they were in a hurry to get on to your collection on time so washing the truck was of secondary importance to them; if it was first thing in the morning then that was unforgivable of course. You were actually quite lucky as it's a fact of life that many times, they will collect several before returning to base to ease their costs and time, they are dealing with dead animals after all, not people and are in the job only to make money. Yes, those animals still deserve their respect, of course they do but some might not show the respect that you want because it is your own animal but it is just another animal to them.
Those are just some things to be aware of when you order a pet cremation, they might be very different to what you'd expect from a human one; yes, some companies are very good as mentioned on here but there are also some that aren't.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Sorry that you’ve had a bad experience, L.

Yorkshire Equine Crematorium – we’ve been unfortunate enough to have to use them twice in the last 12 months or so and they were absolutely brilliant. They do standard disposal as well as individual jobbets with all the bells and whistles, and I cannot praise their professionalism enough. It makes a difficult situation so much easier. I hope I don’t have to use them again for a while though.

Sadiemay

Visit site
Sounds morbid but as my girl was getting on in years I decided to research the best equine cremation company. After looking into several companies offering this service and speaking with them. I decided to use Equine &Pet Services based in Cheltenham, even though I am based in Surrey.

So that the crematorium that went down in her Euthanasia Plan. Sadly and very unexpectedly in July of 2011 (on a Sunday) my sweet girl fell seriously ill. The vets did all they could but she was deteriorating by the minute and there was no chance to stabilize her enough to get her to the Equine Hospital. Ultimately she was dying before us so I took the vets advice and gave her peace.

My husband called Giles and he was with is within 3 hours. It was the most traumatic devastating day so far in all my 35 years and I couldn't leave her body for a long time, Giles was very patient and understanding and didn't rush me at all. I didn't watch them getting her out of her stable but my husband and YO assure me it was very gentle and she was handled with great dignity.

A week later we collected her ashes, they were in a beautiful (BIG!) sealed solid wood box with one of her shoes and a plaque with her name, date of birth and date of death. Its very tastefully done. He gave us a guided tour of the actual crematorium including the incinerator, and talked us through exactly the process from collection to ashes. I found it very reassuring in a strange way. He made us feel very welcome and didn't try to rush us at all. I was distraught and he showed us a lot of sympathy. kindness and understanding.

So I would recommend them. If fact when we lost our elderly cats within days of each other earlier this year we took them to Giles at Animal and Pet Services to be cremated as we trust their service completely.

Its not the cheapest crematorium. My girl was 14.1 and the cost of collection, individual cremation and the ashes returned in a handmade wooden casket with plaque I believe was around £800 or maybe a bit more, I cant remember. But it was worth every penny.

Pale Rider

Visit site
I'm a bit suprised people will spend this sort of money on a horse when it's dead.

A lot of people object to paying this sort of money out when the horse is alive, for some training for example.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
For some its no different than for people.

We don't have to justify our motives or have them questioned
Horses have a way of getting into your blood and become relatives and family members.

I will spend what I have to to give them a dignified ending, as I said no one can question your motives on the chosen send off.

This thread was for me to find an alternative cremation service.

No one is questioning how you could send your horse to the kennels some might find it barbaric though they would not say that here.
just except that for some us this is our chosen option whether you agree with it or not.

As for the cost so what if the person wants to spend that on their pet good on them I say

I would always have an account for this purpose so when the time came I had the funds.(which I did first time round)

I am lucky to have a rich hubby so money is no issue, other people who are less fortunate would have their own means.

Last edited:

Sadiemay

Visit site
Pale Rider,

My girl had been my best buddy for nearly 20 years and was very much an important family member. She had seen me through some very tough times and at times was the only thing that kept me going. I wouldn't dream of not having an individual cremation. We wanted her back home with us, its where she belongs as do all our pets that have passed away.

Its a very personal thing and this way feels right to us. I appreciate its a lot of money, we are fortunate enough to have the the funds to be able to do this.

Highlands

Visit site
Since I am ill and off work have just watched you have been scammed, on bbc1 and yes about peak pets, taking money and returning with bonfire ash.

Pale Rider

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, if people want to do this thats fine by me.

Dead people are lucky to get an individual cremation in some places, from what I've heard, but if thats what folk want for their horses, fine by me. :)

Highlands

Visit site
I'm a bit suprised people will spend this sort of money on a horse when it's dead.

A lot of people object to paying this sort of money out when the horse is alive, for some training for example.

I had Emerald for 18 years , she was everything to us. We miss her to this day. Since she barely had a day off in all that time she justified having a decent end. I could never send my loyal friend to the kennels.

To me £500 is little to spend in return for what she gave us. Digging a hole in the ground for a pet is not a good idea when you land floods.

She was never insured and yet my premiums would have cost me more, I think I had the vet till she was ill twice to her, far cheaper than paying x pounds for insurance.

Don't get me wrong insurance has its place but there are many people who never have to claim!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I had Emerald for 18 years , she was everything to us. We miss her to this day. Since she barely had a day off in all that time she justified having a decent end. I could never send my loyal friend to the kennels.

To me £500 is little to spend in return for what she gave us. Digging a hole in the ground for a pet is not a good idea when you land floods.

She was never insured and yet my premiums would have cost me more, I think I had the vet till she was ill twice to her, far cheaper than paying x pounds for insurance.

Don't get me wrong insurance has its place but there are many people who never have to claim!

I am like you Highland about an hour ago while typing the above thread my gal was returned and placed in my car :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I dropped all my insurance when they said laminitis is an illness and we do not cover it.

So I said oooooookkk. so I dropped all the insurance on the pony and Diamonds son. placed it into a bank account and set up weekly debit straight into that account instead of the insurance company.

over the past 3 years i have paid them £ 5000+ in policy for all 3 animals. And never used any of it which is why now I have a set bank account.

I would if I was on my own open a separate account just for my choice of resting service, so when the time came to cremate one of them the funds would be there and I would not feel the pinch.

I cannot face seeing her casket so she will remain in my car till hubby comes home Friday:( and she will join my others upstairs

Pale Rider

Visit site
I am like you Highland about an hour ago while typing the above thread my gal was returned and placed in my car :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I dropped all my insurance when they said laminitis is an illness and we do not cover it.

So I said oooooookkk. so I dropped all the insurance on the pony and Diamonds son. placed it into a bank account and set up weekly debit straight into that account instead of the insurance company.

over the past 3 years i have paid them £ 5000+ in policy for all 3 animals. And never used any of it which is why now I have a set bank account.

I would if I was on my own open a separate account just for my choice of resting service, so when the time came to cremate one of them the funds would be there and I would not feel the pinch.

I cannot face seeing her casket so she will remain in my car till hubby comes home Friday:( and she will join my others upstairs

Thats a very good idea, we found that just a basic policy on our horses was costing a fortune and with the number we had, was just not worth it. I too set up a savings account, just for vets fees and the like. We have not had to add to this fund at all over the years.

Emma S

Visit site

I have to admitt I agree with you on this one. Although it is down to the individuals opinion and I have nothing against people who like to have their horses cremated.

I lost my lad in October, he meant the absolute world to me and under very unfortunate circumstances my friends horse also had to move on.

We arranged a date for them both to be done (together but seperately, if that makes sense) by an absolutely fantastic guy, he was very kind and settled both horses down. They were both shot and left on the same truck together and the mans business supplies zoo's. Not an overly nice thought, but once it had happened he was gone and no longer 'my boy'.

It still hurts a lot but I dont think it would have been any different to me to have had him back.

EstherYoung

Visit site
I think having a savings account is a very good idea - just the euthanasia costs can be expensive on their own no matter how you decide to dispose of the body.

Please don't think ill of people who don't go the whole 'solo cremation' way, though, L. Much as I'm a soppy old sod and I love my horses to bits, I have no use for a wheelbarrowfull of heavy ashes (because that's what you get if it's done properly). It's not the horse, it won't bring the horse back, and personally it would end up upsetting me more because I'd then have to work out what the heck to do with them. At the end of the day disposing of half a tonne of dead horse is going to cause logistical problems and there is no way of doing it prettily. All we can hope is that whoever we get to do the deed does so professionally and sensitively.

Highlands

Visit site
I have a separate bank account for mine, a rainy day fund, budget £1000 for Freddie and daisy. This is the incase of treatment fund.......

This is my insurance, I would listen to my vet and decide using there opinion, I could never put a horse through a procedure cos its insured....

And yes I have heard a 'friend' say this.....

Victoria25

Visit site
I have to admitt I agree with you on this one. Although it is down to the individuals opinion and I have nothing against people who like to have their horses cremated.

I lost my lad in October, he meant the absolute world to me and under very unfortunate circumstances my friends horse also had to move on.

We arranged a date for them both to be done (together but seperately, if that makes sense) by an absolutely fantastic guy, he was very kind and settled both horses down. They were both shot and left on the same truck together and the mans business supplies zoo's. Not an overly nice thought, but once it had happened he was gone and no longer 'my boy'.

It still hurts a lot but I dont think it would have been any different to me to have had him back.

^^ This.

I lost my boy a few months back - completely unexpected - we'd only had him 18 months - my friend (who's a farmer) removed him from where he'd fallen and he just 'took him' and I said please can you just deal with everything from your place ... I dont want to know who took him from there (so please dont reply telling me) - its still painfull but I wouldnt have wanted his ashes. My friend took a lot of his tail (thank god she was there as it wouldnt have been something I'd have thought of) and we're having a bracelet made at the moment from Equitails.

Had it been my life long arab then I may have wanted her ashes back? I dont know :(