Horse dropping weight fast, anyone else?

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

It may be time then to consider where you keep him? Clearly if he is loosing weight he needs more food, that is hay. If his stable's not big enough for him, and ultimately you can't keep him satisfactorily where you are, maybe it's time to move??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well our yard is actually up for sale, so Ive been looking for the last month,but there are no decent yards with spaces, still looking.
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well our yard is actually up for sale, so Ive been looking for the last month,but there are no decent yards with spaces, still looking

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, so your problem may be solved utlimately.....

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He's not hungry then by the sounds of things, try not to worry too much, and just up his Alfa if need be
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, he is out in a heavyweight full neck rug, so is never cold, he doesnt get a winter coat though!
grin.gif

I will email topspec and see how much alfa oil I can give him, he will eat it all day if he can
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
I have always had trouble keeping weight on Baron since I got him. But since swapping from speei beet to Fibre Beet about 2 months ago the difference is amazing. Not only is he keeping his weight but he is still gaining it. I admit he is in at night, but this time last year he was dropping weight quite quickly.

He also gets alfa oil, barley, baileys No.1, pink powder and a cup of soya oil. But he got all the above before and its only since I started feeing fibre beet that the weight has shot up. May be worth a go, especially if you are already feeding some sort of sugarbeet type feed.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried adding Baileys number 1 to his diet? its great for weight gain and doesn't tizz them up - My TB is thriving on it at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is on topspec feeds and balancer which he does well on, its the roughage that is the problem, hard feed can only do so much.
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have always had trouble keeping weight on Baron since I got him. But since swapping from speei beet to Fibre Beet about 2 months ago the difference is amazing. Not only is he keeping his weight but he is still gaining it. I admit he is in at night, but this time last year he was dropping weight quite quickly.

He also gets alfa oil, barley, baileys No.1, pink powder and a cup of soya oil. But he got all the above before and its only since I started feeing fibre beet that the weight has shot up. May be worth a go, especially if you are already feeding some sort of sugarbeet type feed.

[/ QUOTE ]

hanks i fed alfa beet ast year but havent this yr with him being on alfa oil, I may have a look at he fibre beet, because I thik it can be used as a hay replacer.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason he is not getting hay in the field???
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes ive said it about 5 times in the thread LOL
grin.gif

they are out in a large herd, the other owners horses are still fat or not needing it yet.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry
crazy.gif
didnt read all the above posts.

Im sure if he is gettign hay during the day and then its only 2 weeks till there is hay in your fields he will be fine
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL dont blame you, there were lots!
grin.gif

Yes I think i w try some fibre/alfa beet just to keep him topped up in the mean time...he wont complain!