Horse failed vetting!! What now?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would walk away based on the history more than the vetting results. I don't think you said how they treated/rehabbed that.

Same!

Also agree with a PP who said you had it vetted for a reason. If you weren't fussed on the results then presumably you wouldn't have forked out for the vetting. Was the suspensory issue disclosed before the vetting? I would walk away. But if you decide not to, then I think it would be wise to spend a bit of time and effort getting to the bottom of how the suspensory injury happened, how it was treated, and what sort of state it's in now. Too much potential for heartache, IMO.

SpringArising

Visit site
I wouldn't be walking away, I'd be thinking about perhaps further investigations and split the cost with the owner? Plus I think vettings are like MOT's - only good for the day it's carried out.

Not really true, there are lots of things a vetting can pick up that the average Joe wouldn't - problems with their wind, eyes, lumps/bumps, sarcoids etc.

I don't understand why anyone would want to investigate an issue further, and pay for it, when it's not even their horse.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You had it vetted for a reason.

Walk away.

^^^ This.

I fell in love with a lovely little horse when I was looking; it was the same degree of lameness i.e. 1/10th.

I walked away. With great regret, and not a few tears coz I did love that little horse.....

But consider the even greater heartbreak if you bought a horse that basically in a few months time could turn out to be an expensive field ornament.

If the OWNER wants to commit to further investigations, then by all means let her do it! Her money, her choice. But why should you?? You'd be crazy to spent that sort of money on someone else's horse TBH.

Also consider that if the horse has failed vetting on "lameness" - the position regarding insurance that you would be putting yourself in for the future.......

So sorry, have been in your position OP and it pulls you apart.

Last edited:

maisie06

Visit site
I wouldn't touch anything with a history of suspensory problems, IMHO they rarely come right for long, it'll be nothing but heartache - run for the hills.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Commenting on the validity of a vetting, on what tests are done within the vetting achieves nothing. If you want a vetting then you have to understand that certain tests, whether you agree with them or not, will be carried out. When all the tests are done then you will be told if the horse has passed or failed. The vetting is a set standard & the horse either passes or fails. The vet will tell you & the decision is yours if you wish to purchase or not, simple. Don't blame the vet because he has carried out tests that you don't like, it's a standard they have to adhere to.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Commenting on the validity of a vetting, on what tests are done within the vetting achieves nothing. If you want a vetting then you have to understand that certain tests, whether you agree with them or not, will be carried out. When all the tests are done then you will be told if the horse has passed or failed. The vetting is a set standard & the horse either passes or fails. The vet will tell you & the decision is yours if you wish to purchase or not, simple. Don't blame the vet because he has carried out tests that you don't like, it's a standard they have to adhere to.

But its no longer a simple pass or fail as I understand it. I've been told you chat to the vet about what you want from the horse and they vet it and advise of any issues or concerns and if its suitable or not for what you are looking to do with it so you are better equipped to make an informed decision yourself!

wingedhorse

Visit site
My first horse, was 12 when I bought her.

I had a full 5 stage vetting which she passed.

I later found out she had had 6 months off with a front check ligament injury before I bought her. Never caused me or her next owner (I sold her to a home that kept her until mid 20’s without any issues).

But being lame on the leg that injured a suspensory, probably would be reason to walk away.