Horse hunting, is it just me?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Or do others find it depressing?

Between the pages of 26-30 year old unsound ones which are a "heartbreaking sale" because the owner has a new one, to the over-produced youngsters that have 'imminent breakdown' written all over them, I am now loathed to even open sales sites.

I'm more worried now that I will end up buying for the wrong reasons; pity or anger, than that I won't find one at all.

Am I too fussy? Or to precious? Had wanted a youngster. Found an 18 month old German warmblood filly that I liked the initial picture of- but next photo, it is being lunged with a Pessoa and they are trying to get a serious outline out of it. Another promising looking one 'might be in foal'- at three. The well-bred ones all appear to be started terribly early.

Millie is still going wonderfully but I've only got her until her owner is recovered from her illness. Original plan was that baby could grow up while I get back into riding at a decent level with Mils and I'd give her back around the time that youngster would need backing. Now I'm thinking ready-made might be better and then worrying that ready-made might come with ready-made problems.

Husband has suggested that I might be commitment phobic since losing Lady G.

No real point to this but if anyone has any words of wisdom, they'd be much appreciated.

majors

Visit site
It is so hard, I bought one 3 months ago after looking for 8 months, wanted been there done that, ended up with a not long over from Ireland 5 year old who is brill so sweet and quiet. I liked him the minute I saw him. One day you will know the one, good luck

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Its not you LadyG - I think the more we look we can read in between the lines of a sales advert - we ve seen so many photos the "no-nos" are immediately obvious. You ll have to harden your heart so you don't buy out of pity and keep meeting as many likely candidates as possible and like majors said - the right one will find you.

Abacus

Visit site
I am so astonished by the 20+ years old horses that have been in a home for years and are now for sale. We owe them more than that, even if it's a peaceful dignified end without the disruption of a new home and routine.

Of course there are exceptions - the children's ponies that go on for years and can still give a lot in their 20s, or a few horses that are still perfectly capable of being a lovely hack for someone later in life. But those are the sort I would only consider passing on by word of mouth and strong recommendation - not just on a sales site.

I doubt you have commitment phobia - you are just being cautious about buying the wrong one after (presumably) having the right one before. A new horse feels strange to ride and is difficult to choose. Take your time...

Equi

Visit site
I've been looking for a year for a horse. There's so little available im going to buy my loan horse even though he's not exactly what I wanted and older than I would like but the only one I did see was way out of my price range by several thousand.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I see horse buying as like house buying, you set out with an ideal in mind and along the way you compromise. It may not be just what your looking for but it ticks enough boxes or it steals your heart. I was looking for a bomb proof but not dead 15hh cob horse, that could do low level dressage ( I'm too lazy to do more then that) and was up to my weight. I wanted it established in three paces, good to do and travel, as I do everything in my own. The big stipulation was that it hacked on its own, no drama. I gave myself a good budget and off I went.

I returned with a 17hh Clydesdale X ????

He hacks on his own no drama , I jump more them him. Leave him alone and he will plod around, pick up the reins and he is forward going. He is good to do.....now....I ironed out a few bits like standing at mounting block, picking up feet. Travels well and is great at shows on his own, just with me. Had no steering, fantastic brakes ( just say whoa. ) I have now established walk and trot and am building up my resolve to attempt canter in the school :O

So in no way on paper would this horse have been on the cards......but he still is turning in to a fantastic buy. I think that sometimes you need to think outside the box and try things you might not have considered.

soulfull

Visit site
It's a nightmare!!
what is sad for me is the number of 6/7/8/9 that are lame

I was looking for 7+ 15.2 cob already established in all paces.

I've just bought a 4yr 15.3 cob that I'm having to re back as so much was missing from his education

soulfull

Visit site
It's a nightmare!!
what is sad for me is the number of 6/7/8/9 that are lame

I was looking for 7+ 15.2 cob already established in all paces.

I've just bought a 4yr 15.3 cob that I'm having to re back as so much was missing from his education

rachk89

Visit site
I am so astonished by the 20+ years old horses that have been in a home for years and are now for sale. We owe them more than that, even if it's a peaceful dignified end without the disruption of a new home and routine.

Yeah i saw lots of them when looking for a horse too. People just cast them aside once too old they don't love them and it's not heart breaking. If it was they would keep them or try to just find a good home for free. I would never sell my horse when he gets too old. Will owe him more than that by then.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Other than when my horse died and I was looking for a replacement I have mostly enjoyed it as I was just browsing and saw one I wanted to buy lol.

I would say take the pressure off and the right one will come along. Daisy appeared in my life when I was at my lowest ebb and she is absolutely amazing. Not exactly what I thought I was buying (she's a hand smaller than advertised and I bought her unseen) but better than I could have imagined.

Batgirl

Visit site
I would say look to your smaller but reputable studs not 'producers', where I livery breed one or 2 a year, quality sports horses, all started slowly and given a good all round education because the owners care about the horses and less about their profits. They have a yearling through Ramiro Z and Opposition Buzz lines, stunning!

LouisCat

Visit site

This... we've had our Connie nearly 10 years and he's now 19. He's still in full work etc but I can't think of anything worse than waiting until he's retired and then selling him... It would genuinely break my heart.
if I couldn't keep him I'd rather send him to a retirement home, a friend runs a lovely one and the horses seem very happy in a herd

Holly831

Visit site
I have the opposite problem! I have my gorgeous 6 year old for sale (I bred him). I didn't back until 4.5 and then turned away as he was still growing (he's 16.3) brought back in to work 3 months ago (now just 6) and everyone says too green for his age! I do what's best for my horses with the aim of them having a long and healthy ridden career (& life) but it seems that's not what the dressage market want.

Batgirl

Visit site
I have the opposite problem! I have my gorgeous 6 year old for sale (I bred him). I didn't back until 4.5 and then turned away as he was still growing (he's 16.3) brought back in to work 3 months ago (now just 6) and everyone says too green for his age! I do what's best for my horses with the aim of them having a long and healthy ridden career (& life) but it seems that's not what the dressage market want.

Exactly the problem for the stud I am at - potential in the dressage world seems to mean already done it!

Amye

Visit site

That's crazy. When I was looking for a horse around 10 months ago I would have relished a horse like that! I wanted to buy a young horse who had done a bit but something I could work with and grow with, I saw some lovely youngsters but they were all being jumped massive tracks or pushed too much and they were only 4 years old. Considering I wanted a horse around 16hh or over I just wish they'd waiting until the horses were a bit older and more mature. The 7 year old I got vetted had basically be ruined by hard riding when he was young and was likely to become very lame if he kept jumping higher and higher :(

I ended with an unfit 14 year old somehow :D Not what I was looking for but it was a 'he chose me' moment and I love him to pieces! He will be with me for life even after he is retired (or, god forbid, if I can't keep him off to a retirement home or with a friend or something!).

I also saw lots of oldies being sold because they weren't good enough to compete anymore and it made me very sad :( All the adverts said how lovely they were and great and they had done so much in the past it made me think, the horse has worked so hard for you and you can't return the favour and give it a lovely home forever? I know some people genuinely cannot keep the horse anymore due to circumstance but that can't be true for every advert.

OP like many have said the right one will come along eventually but I agree that looking at some of the adverts is quite depressing.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I'm finding a hell of a lot of horses are ridden into the ground at a young age, and it seems to happen more if they show potential. The worst was a rising 4 year-old (so actually THREE) that was jumping courses of 1.20 at home. Poor thing will be crippled by 7 :(.

Bessi

Visit site
I know of a couple of nice yearlings for sale depending on what you are after, they are from the same small breeder who i have just bought my foal from and will have been turned out and being horses with other young stock..

My main lad is 8, has been lame for a year and we are attempting rehab, if he can't be rehabbed he will have a few years retirement and then i will make the decision for him there is no way he will be going to anyone else.

pennyturner

Visit site
I was given a lovely NF gelding that had done 'everything' at PC before he was 5. Then he developed 'back problems', and was thrown into a field for 5 years. Poor blighter had presumably finally told them he'd had enough.
Nothing wrong with him - having re-backed him and given him plenty of turnout and varied work, he's done 10 years for us with never a sorry day. :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm looking for a happy hacker/allrounder: have seen nine horses to date, only TWO of those was as described in the advert basically.

I'm sick of being taken for a fool, of being told blatent lies, of people thinking its OK - because I want something that's not a plod and is decently forward going - to then think that its perfectly OK to expect me to ride something (6yo) that goes up on its hind legs as soon as its asked to leave the yard on its own, and oh no it "had never done that before".

Or the "ideal family pony" that refused to be caught and tanked through the fencing; and napped and bronced when asked to go forward away from its fieldmate. Ideal family pony? Yep, sure, and nope that one had never done it before either!

Or to have someone show me a lovely sweet mare who was basically very sad, and was in obvious pain when ridden (back??) - when we arrived at the yard the seller said "oh, she's got a bit of a cough". Yep, and snotty nose to boot, and feet in a dreadful state, and anomalies in the passport. Myself and friend are both YO's with other people's horses in our yards and as there has been outbreaks of strangles around, we were not best pleased at being asked to view what was basically a poorly horse, after an hour's journey each way.

Saw a lovely little strawberry roan on Sunday; the owner had very sensibly arranged viewings at a dealers yard, and was waiting till everyone had viewed before making a decision. The guy at the yard told me candidly that if it was his choice (which it wasn't), he'd have liked her to go to me........ however the owner wanted her to go to a family - so that's where she was going. Bleddi typical, the first and only horse I've seen that would've suited me like a hand-in-glove - and she's the one that got away. A lovely little mare, perfect in every way, as sweet as apple pie. Call me pathetic if you will, but this has been such a heartbreaking horse-search, and I'm so disillusioned and sheer desperate, that I sat down when I'd heard the news that she wasn't ever going to be mine, and cried myself through a bottle of wine :( :(

I really don't know where I'm going to go from here TBH. Just feel thwarted, disillusioned, and emotionally very fragile.

Last edited:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I really don't know where I'm going to go from here TBH. Just feel thwarted, disillusioned, and emotionally very fragile.

Don't give up , it will happen , I'm so sorry you lost out on the little mare. I would have been inconsolable if i had lost Kevin. I knew he was right as I left the yard the first night but I was trying to be sensible and all that. Luckily I'd found my way to a responsible and honest dealers yard so I was looked after.

rachk89

Visit site
I'm finding a hell of a lot of horses are ridden into the ground at a young age, and it seems to happen more if they show potential. The worst was a rising 4 year-old (so actually THREE) that was jumping courses of 1.20 at home. Poor thing will be crippled by 7 :(.

Jesus Christ 1.20 courses at 3?! I wouldn't have even allowed my horse when he was 6 to do that high. Poor horse.

You saying that though reminds me of a horse for sale up here. He is a warmblood really excellent lines there was something about a grade but i can't remember what. But priced low and i am pretty sure it was to do with how low his pasterns tilted at on his front legs. Looked like over jumped and he would go lame often. Surprisingly still for sale over a year later. Can't think why I was going to suggest him to a friend but saw his legs and went "nope!".

gryff

Visit site
I'm being told that I'm crazy to consider an unbroken 7 year old. There must be something wrong with her if she's not been broken in by now...I don't think so, but comments like this are making me have doubts. Her breeder likes them to be horses until they are fully developed, which again, I understand. I'm not sure I can stand the "told you so" comments if she's tricky to back.

Micropony

Visit site
No it's not just you. I count my blessings that I have been very lucky and my horses have literally found me at the right times.

Those adverts for 'much loved' old horses who are being moved on to make room for a newer model make me particularly sad and cross. 'Much loved' my a**e. The owners are too stingy to pay for a dignified retirement and too gutless to make a difficult decision.

Best of luck with your search.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm being told that I'm crazy to consider an unbroken 7 year old. There must be something wrong with her if she's not been broken in by now...I don't think so, but comments like this are making me have doubts. Her breeder likes them to be horses until they are fully developed, which again, I understand. I'm not sure I can stand the "told you so" comments if she's tricky to back.

I would have no problem with this if the breeder can show you others of a similar age or put you in contact with people who have bought them.

Otherwise, you could do what I did with my last one and offer to buy it at a higher price subject to seeing it walk and trot with a rider. The dealer agreed immediately, so I knew it was genuine and I was then left with a choice of backing him myself or buying him at the original price unbroken. I let her back him as I was backing another at home and he's been problem free in terms of being happy to carry a rider.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It makes me feel sick seeing horses in their late teens and twenties being sold its just so wrong .
While I rarely find it hard to find a horse to buy I agree it's a nightmare out there I can never decide if the owner showing me a lame horse is stupid or just hoping I was stupid .
A fair quanity of sellers are fantasists and a fair few are downright liars .
Horses with ' scope to burn ' ( hate that saying) are competent over 90 cm straight movers are not it's very frustrating .
I think it's even harder if you need to find a made safe hack and are not in a position to train the horse to be what you want so many horses are not hacked alone now a days so finding a sound safe on its own horse for a novice rider is very hard.

MrsMurs

Visit site
I feel your pain LadyG. Been looking for several months now, tried five, have all and sundry sending me adverts but I am so desperate to get it right that I sometimes feel like I am being too picky. My search parameters have changed from everyone's dream sweet all rounder, 7 - 11 years, can take me hacking, go BE, AND let my granny ride it! I am now finding, having been pipped to the post several times that I need to act quicker, widen my search to older, younger, bigger, smaller, stretch the finances, don't stretch the finances ... you name it, I've considered it. Where I'm at now is that I am no longer pressuring myself to buy. I am actively searching, going and trying ones that really stand out on paper and following intial phonecall, but I now know it's not going to happen overnight. I'm thinking long term gain, not rush to buy and regret. I know what I want to do with my horse and I know what type will be a good match. I also know he's out there somewhere. Until I find him, I'm happy to continue with my lessons with a fab instructor.
Wish you all the best in your search.
Also just want to add that there are some really decent sellers out there. With all the bad press recently it pays to be wary, but I've met some really lovely people during my horse search who I hope will remain contacts.

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
I'm sure most of you know this, but, please don't write off the 'well-loved 20yo' right off the bat. Some of those owners are in difficult circumstances, and face PTS a fit, happy horse who may well have 10 good years left in it (esp. if it's a pony). It's criminal that so many horse-shoppers won't look at anything over 12, when an established, mannerly oldie would suit them so much better.

sidsmum

Visit site
I completely agree! I lost my section d to colic and had originally been looking for a short term loan horse whilst I saved up to buy in the new year.

I got so disheartened by the number of bare faced lies I was being fed (I still don't understand the point of lying about a loan horse - surely it's just going to be returned to you!?) that I decided to bite the bullet and buy.

I had to tell one owner their horse was lame and no despite you saying he'd be okay I wasn't going to continue riding him! Another, which tried to bite everyone, one that when put back in the field promptly clambered over the electric fencing and pulled it all down.

I saw one advert which was described as a challenging ride but can sort of be ridden in blinkers! I passed that advert by!

Another one took off with me and when we finally stopped I discovered that they had put the wrong bridle on him and the bit was too big.....I very nearly gave up!

My criteria for buying ended up being a gelding between 6-9 years, 14.2-15.3hh with a little bit of bone and something I could have fun with around the 90cm mark.

I spotted an advert for a little 14.1hh cob mare just turned 8. I disregarded her initially as I was thinking more around the 15.2hh mark but I kept coming back to the ad. Arranged to see her and it was the best viewing I have ever had and made me realise just how much I love ponies!

I was there for about two hours, saw her travelled to a ménage, tried her there, saw her hacked, I rode her up and down a bridle path, took her back to her home and then jumped her in the pouring rain in a field...the owner was lovely, it was all uncomplicated and needless to say a few weeks ago she came home with me!

So yeah, I totally agree, it is a nightmare, but perservere you will find the right one! :)

Last edited: