Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Thank you for all your comments.
For 2 hours after the vet came she was down and lightly fitting,
For the last 45 mins she's been stood up, last 15 mins she's been eating her haylege and looking brighter.
I'm trying not to be too optimistic, but so far she's improving well

My partner came up with me today, he won't leave me on my own (thank god)

Good to hear! We'll all be keeping everything crossed for her!

cblover

Visit site
I'm sending you my best wishes, I know how hard it is to watch your beautiful horse suffering. I lost my fabulous clydesdale mare just over a week ago and I can still feel the gut renching feeling deep in my stomach.

Be kind to yourself, be strong, have support around you so you can do the best for your horse. It's not easy but I'm rooting for you both. Take care. Xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
For the last 45 mins she's been stood up, last 15 mins she's been eating her haylege and looking brighter.

Oh wow. That sounds really hopeful. I'm keeping everything crossed for her x

LD&S

Visit site

That's even better than I had hoped for, I hope she continues to improve, so nice you have company too, good luck.

High Hope

Visit site
After a good 15 mins, she's spent the last few hours going down hill again. I don't know what to do.
Shes now back to lying on the floor stargazing :(
Vet is coming back at 4. In my heart, I don't think she's going to get better.
But I don't want to give up :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
could be due the drugs wearing off. Hopefully she will pick up again for longer next time. As she'd been so bad and then did get up and ate some haylage, I would have a little bit of hope.

Merrymoles

Visit site
could be due the drugs wearing off. Hopefully she will pick up again for longer next time. As she'd been so bad and then did get up and ate some haylage, I would have a little bit of hope.

Yep - the eating was a good sign. Hang on to that. Any animal recovering from injury goes up and down a bit. She is probably very tired.

Orca

Visit site
Good news that she got up! I had a dog who used to fit. For up to a week afterwards, he would be somewhat dazed, as if he felt 'hazy'. He would be very quiet, gaze into the distance and be quite clingy. Fitting (for whatever reason) can be confusing and incredibly exhausting, so I would expect a horse to be somewhat up and down through recovery. Keeping everything crossed that she keeps getting better.

Doris68

Visit site
I didn't want to read and run. I'm so very sorry - what an awful thing for you and your dear horse to endure. I'm hoping that she turns a corner. You will do the right thing because you're a caring and responsible owner. Kind thoughts and hugs.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Been thinking about you all day. Give her longer on the drugs I reckon unless she really goes down hill. The fact she was up and eating makes me think it could just be the drugs have worn off. I know she appears to be suffering but she probably won't know much about it, it's much harder for you. How did she hit her head?

Have absolutely everything crossed for you.