Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

Alec Swan

Visit site
Well, apparently john Keen agrees with us and my own vets!!
He must be losing the plot too!!

He's prescribed another drug which she's been given tonight that will last 24 hours. In the meantime he has asked the visiting vet to source the drug my vet suggested two days ago, that was promptly ignored by the junior vet with the ego.

He's also insisted Rosa be given a large Vit B injection to try and give her a boost after being allowed to deteriorate.

She's not out of the woods yet but she does have an expert on her case, at last.

P.S. the vet left 15 minutes ago and Rosa is now eating and bright again. Maybe a vitamin injection wasn't such a silly idea after all, either.

Has John Keen visited and seen the mare?

Alec.

*Sahara

Visit site
Op I hope the vets visit is a positive one.

I know she probably looks nothing like herself at the moment, but (if you haven't seen it) this is a link to a charity where they really do bring horses back from the brink. Some of th before pictures have to be seen to be believed, if the other prognosis is good, this may give you some hope x

https://www.facebook.com/princefluffykareem/?ref=ts&fref=ts

This is the specific horse I was thinking about as soon as I read your post. This horse couldn't stand and now is up at walking.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1027820660597076.1073742478.198177013561449&type=3

Wow, they're doing some great work.

*Sahara

Visit site

He's prescribed another drug which she's been given tonight that will last 24 hours. In the meantime he has asked the visiting vet to source the drug my vet suggested two days ago, that had been ignored by the junior vet with the ego.

He's also insisted Rosa be given a large Vit B injection to try and give her a boost after being allowed to deteriorate.

She's not out of the woods yet but she does have an expert on her case, at last.

P.S. the vet left 15 minutes ago and Rosa is now eating and bright again. Maybe a vitamin injection wasn't such a silly idea after all, either.

That's fantastic news, so happy for you all, keeping everything crossed ;)

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site

He's prescribed another drug which she's been given tonight that will last 24 hours. In the meantime he has asked the visiting vet to source the drug my vet suggested two days ago, that had been ignored by the junior vet with the ego.

Great news! For me, the fact that she's still willing to eat (on pain relief) is a good sign. Could there be a possibility that he jaw has also been injured? Would also agree with others about a portable x-ray though, to ascertain the severity of her injuries.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
People now calling for PTS should read the thread again. When the mare received adequate pain relief, she rallied and ate well. I think HH and Chloe are right. This mare even whinnied a welcome when her pain relief was adequate. Sometimes all they need is pain relief and time.

However, I would have xrayed her by now, but the OP has not had the best veterinary support.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ditto any chance of getting a good enough portable xray? It would at least eliminate some possibly more major things though granted you might not get a pic of any micro fractures. Glad you seem to have her more comfortable and a decent bod on side.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Excellent news! I would have thought it obvious to anyone with a couple of brain cells that pain relief is vital. That is why people with fracture s get codeine/morpheine. And why human head injury patients are put into a coma for at least several days
Still got fingers crossed for you all, HH & Chloe

Chloe-V

Visit site
From clinical veterinary examinations they're happy that even if there are micro fractures anywhere, she isn't showing any signs of neurological damage.
She may well have a tooth damage high up but they think that will stabilise itself soon and can be sorted in time and they don't wish to open her mouth to look, in case they de stabilise something.

Portable scans and X-rays have been discussed but they've decided that they won't necessarily show anything up useful at this stage and it wouldn't change the treatment anyway at this point.

Last edited:

High Hope

Visit site
Great news! For me, the fact that she's still willing to eat (on pain relief) is a good sign. Could there be a possibility that he jaw has also been injured? Would also agree with others about a portable x-ray though, to ascertain the severity of her injuries.

The pain relief she has been given won't be effective for hours. The amount she's perked up is entirely down to B vitamins.

My decent vet says she doesn't want to xray, there's no point and it's unlikely to show anything as they think it's so minor (if there at all)

The option is there to MRI or CT, but I won't make her travel for that

She's picking up dramatically :)

Unless she deteriorates for reasons other than vet incompetence, she's not for the knacker just yet.

Last edited:

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
The pain relief she has been given won't be effective for hours. The amount she's perked up is entirely down to B vitamins.

My decent vet says she doesn't want to xray, there's no point and it's unlikely to show anything as they think it's so minor (if there at all)

The option is there to MRI or CT, but I won't make her travel for that

She's picking up dramatically :)

Unless she deteriorates for reasons other than vet incompetence, she's not for the knacker just yet.

I'm so glad to hear it! Rosa sounds like a real fighter, bless her.

Please keep us updated. x

Princess16

Visit site
Just logged on to read this thread - what an emotional roller coaster.

HH I too would be doing every last possible thing humanely possible before giving up on her. Got every possible orifice crossed for Rosa (lovely name btw).

Hoping the pain relief kicks in and she starts eating.

Your mum sounds a very formidable woman - lucky you have her on side :)

Feival

Visit site
My gelding did this almost 5 years ago

buzzie_zpsqznbvj2n.jpg

At no point did he stop eating or go as down hill as Rosa and I still demanded x- rays, nothing was broken. But no way in hell would I have accepted my vet saying x-rays where not needed. I also wouldn't have left him in pain for longer than a day or 2 in the poor health Rosa has been in, I am very pleased for you and her that you now have a better plan and a better vet, But I would have done things differently sorry. I'm not saying you are wrong as you know her and are with her.

Puzzled

Visit site
Glad she's picking up. Still can't understand why a vitamin b injection wasn't given initially..I'm not a vet but I suggested it some time ago..it would seem like common sense to me. What were there views on tube feeding her to help build up her strength...not sure if her head injury would rule out this option?

I.M.N.

Visit site
In the last 3 years I've had as many horses put down, all young, all with degenerative, debilitating and incurable conditions, to this day I still regret not doing more for them even though there was absolutely nothing to be done.

What I'm trying to say is when you have an animal PTS it will be on your conscience for the rest of your life, you have to make sure the weight of it is as small as possible. You're the one left behind.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm so pleased she's picking up, if horses eat that's half the battle sometimes.

What does a vit b injection do? Is it for shock? I might have missed it somewhere in the post sorry.

All those say they should have done xyz, we all know hindsight is 20/20 and we are meant to trust veterinary professionals, it's sometimes only on digesting the information that you think, hang on a minute!

Bryndu

Visit site
This is all excellent news :)

Bone pain can be seriously painful...and the fact your girl eats when she has pain relief is good news.

Not xraying the girls jaw is not a good idea....a missed jaw fracture which may indeed need wiring? Had this happen many years ago with a horse who was in excrutiating pain after a head trauma which had caused a jaw fracture and nerve pain....
Not sure if you are in to Homeopathy...but mag phos for nerve pain is amazing....

Keep nagging for the xray...after all...you are paying the bill...not the vet :)

Best wishes
Bryndu

Micropony

Visit site
So pleased Rosa is more comfortable now, that alone is cause for celebration! And that feeling when you've been powerless to act, but knowing the vet advice and support you're getting just isn't right, and then you get a different vet and lo! you have a plan and a way forward, that is a fab feeling.

Really hope you're on the way now to getting this sorted.

Bet that arrogant young a**e of a vet who wouldn't give pain relief is getting some, er, CPD from his colleague right about now. Hope he learns from this and doesn't inflict his nincompoopery on some other poor horse and owner in future.

Everything crossed Rosa and her people have a good night, and that tomorrow is a better day x

LD&S

Visit site
Delighted to hear you're getting somewhere, I know vets, doctors and the like have training but it doesn't make them perfect and the attitude from the young vet is awful. I'm so pleased you battled on and I really hope you have turned a corner now you have a decent vet advising.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm so glad she's picking up. I'm the last person to say put to sleep if there is a chance of recovery.
Hope she's getting the correct treatment now.
I would really want xrays asap if it were me though.
There really is no way the vet can know if there is more serious damage without them.
Good luck and I hope she continues to improve.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Some good news it seems. At last.

I'm in the same camp as people who've wondered why x-rays aren't being taken. Surely, if the horse is comfortable enough to stay still for the few seconds it takes, what is there to lose? The vet would either know what he/say was working with if a fracture showed up, or they'd be none the wiser - but why not? I must admit I find that slightly confusing, bearing in mind what Rosa has been through. Maybe I'm missing something, and if so I'll stand corrected.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Some good news it seems. At last.

I'm in the same camp as people who've wondered why x-rays aren't being taken. Surely, if the horse is comfortable enough to stay still for the few seconds it takes, what is there to lose? The vet would either know what he/say was working with if a fracture showed up, or they'd be none the wiser - but why not? I must admit I find that slightly confusing, bearing in mind what Rosa has been through. Maybe I'm missing something, and if so I'll stand corrected.

I have to agree with this- it may not change management however atleast you know what your dealing with then and it may give some pointers as to what is affecting her most- even a small crack in jaw/tooth could be an issue and unless your vet has X-ray eyes a physical exam will not show that!
Hope she continues to improve today but I really would be requesting xrays

exracehorse

Visit site
My horse had an X Ray after a head injury. He reared up and over on the concrete yard. He had a head fracture behind his eye and there was a loose bone chip.

Chloe-V

Visit site
Update...
this message from my daughter early this morning;-

"Shockingly, she's eating her hay, has drunk a lot, devoured her breakfast and whinnied at me".

Believe it or not, I'm a private person and not taken to public debates etc, so the only reason I came onto here was to stand my daughters and Rosa's corner when she was seriously struggling to deal with it all.

I wasn't completely in the dark as I personally do have some medical training, albeit in humans and a long time ago.
That, along with many years of horse ownership and having had three horses with head injuries in the past, all different causes btw, does give me at least an instinct that certainly tells me when I'm being 'bull shitted' by a vet who doesn't know what to do, so he does nothing! Sadly for Rosa, he was so conceited that he wouldn't take advice from any of his peers, let alone Edinburgh.

I've come across his like in the NHS too...I'm sure a lot of you can also relate to that one.

I had been asking for Vit B and/or an electrolyte infusion last week....how dare I? he knew better!!

I won't keep a horse alive at all costs, but I also won't give in when I'm convinced we have a very good chance of success with other obvious avenues to try.

Once again i'd like to thank all of you who have been such a support to her, I know it has helped.

Rosa isn't on opiates now btw, so I'm still rooting for her.

Last edited: