Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

Po Knee

Visit site
I have been checking in all day (shhhh don't tell work)...and I am so so pleased to hear the latest positive update.

Top marks OP and OP's mum for not giving up when a lot of us would have. Rosa is very lucky to have you.

Hugs to you all.

EventingMum

Visit site
That is good news. Well done on having the courage and confidence to fight for what you needed for Rosa. Many owners would have taken the line of "the vet knows best" and clearly that wasn't what was required in this case as you know your horse well. I hope she continues to improve.

High Hope

Visit site
So is there now a plan in place for moving forward with Rosa's recovery?

Yes. my decent vet has suggested a few pathways to take, and it depends on Rosa's response, so we're taking it each day at a time.

Obviously you can't guarantee much in medicine, but as long as she keeps improving, and hasn't told me she's had enough she's not going anywhere.

Judging by the last 24+ hours, the girlie definitely wants to live. She's not done just yet.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes. my decent vet has suggested a few pathways to take, and it depends on Rosa's response, so we're taking it each day at a time.

Obviously you can't guarantee much in medicine, but as long as she keeps improving, and hasn't told me she's had enough she's not going anywhere.

Judging by the last 24+ hours, the girlie definitely wants to live. She's not done just yet.

So pleased to hear that she is doing well now - and that you have some options to consider. What a difference a good, knowledgeable vet makes.

Doris68

Visit site
So pleased! I can see that you now have confidence in the advice that you've been given and that's the best news. Forge ahead Rosa.... and you too HH!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Just read your thread and am so glad that horsie is picking up and continues to do so.
I fear I can guess the vet in use, and I no longer use them for their misdiagnosis and arrogant ways.

High Hope

Visit site
Just read your thread and am so glad that horsie is picking up and continues to do so.
I fear I can guess the vet in use, and I no longer use them for their misdiagnosis and arrogant ways.

It's not the local hospital mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a slightly out of area one.

I refuse to use the other one for the reasons you have mentioned above.

The vets I am using has an excellent reputation in their area, and apart from this one little upstart who thought letting my horse fade and suffer was the only option (and he's leaving the practice as of today!) , I'm very impressed and happy with everyone who has come out to me so far.

This morning the stronger pain killers are well out of her system by 12 hours or more, she's eating and drinking like a trooper and she's so bright, someone who didn't know her very well wouldn't know anything was wrong !!!

Happy mummy post!!! :)

As of this morning, even though I'm almost afraid to even think it, I think we're might actually make it! :) :) :) :)

Still taking each day as it comes, but she's so improved this morning she's clearly taking massive leaps in the right direction :)

ETA she's only on danilon, now I can get her to eat it. 'm convinced the Metacam wasn't doing anything effective, and that's why she was fading so badly

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Brilliant, HH. I hope that when her headache has subsided, she remembers how lucky she is to have you. You've really fought her corner where many would have given up.

Such admiration for you, and the brave little horse too.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I hardly dared say this before, but now she is looking so well.....

It is my experience that when you nurse a horse through such an illness you will have such a strong bond. If you think you and your horse got on well before - get ready!

I have seen this a few times from my own and others' experiences. Good luck for the future, and I am guessing your horse knows what a special partner you are! X

Pebble101

Visit site
I have been following and am so pleased to hear this post. FWIW I would have done exactly what you have done.

Is the vet leaving because of how he treated you?

Princess16

Visit site
It's not the local hospital mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a slightly out of area one.

I refuse to use the other one for the reasons you have mentioned above.

The vets I am using has an excellent reputation in their area, and apart from this one little upstart who thought letting my horse fade and suffer was the only option (and he's leaving the practice as of today!) , I'm very impressed and happy with everyone who has come out to me so far.

This morning the stronger pain killers are well out of her system by 12 hours or more, she's eating and drinking like a trooper and she's so bright, someone who didn't know her very well wouldn't know anything was wrong !!!

Happy mummy post!!! :)

As of this morning, even though I'm almost afraid to even think it, I think we're might actually make it! :) :) :) :)

Still taking each day as it comes, but she's so improved this morning she's clearly taking massive leaps in the right direction :)

ETA she's only on danilon, now I can get her to eat it. 'm convinced the Metacam wasn't doing anything effective, and that's why she was fading so badly

I'm so pleased useless vet has left - gives others a bad name and there are lots of good ones out there.

Well what a turnaround! I do sometimes wonder at people whose first response is PTS - just goes to show what determination and effort can do. I appreciate that every case is different but only YOU know your horse and what they can/cannot do.

Anyway I am sooooo pleased things are looking up for the lovely Rosa.

P.s. You do know we will want a photo of the lovely lady we all have been rooting so badly for :)