horse just bolted 5 miles down the road

Templebar

Visit site
Do you not have a landline you can use and a camera not on your phone? Also get a friend to help you they will have a phone with camera. But really if your taking pictures for evidence a phone camera will not cut it as you cant make out the detail.

digitalangel

Visit site
also i dont see how PTS would benefit me at all. would be out of pocket the price i paid for him, plus money to fix fencing etc, plus PTS costs... maybe i can work with him.. i dont know but i would struggle with a horse that does not respect fencing and its a dangerous situation for all involved. Ive owned horses for years, have my own yard, compete etc had young horses before.. and if it was just an overhorse situation i would put my hands up and say.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
im sitting here shaking and crying just had a horrible experience.

Picked up a new horse yesterday - 7yo but green, direct from the breeder. He had been ridden on their yard but not hacked much and basically found out he has big gaps in his education - not had rug on, not been tied up. Turned him out next to another horse yesterday and he seemed fine. Today i turned him out with a buddy and when i went to switch fields with another horse and moved him next to another horse he went crazy. went through the post+electric, then over/through 2 lots of post and rail and then onto the road. i was chasing him to no avail but someone stopped in the car and we followed him in the car. he was heading towards the main road so i called the police to alert them. we tried getting in front of him, and stopped the car across the road a few times, but he ran me down. just before the main road i made a divebomb bu missed and he kicked my in the knee. somehow and i really dont know how he went straight across the main road without getting collected by a truck. about a mile from thew a41 he finally slowed to a trot , we managed to get past him and another divebomb meant i got him. some lovely horsey people stopped and i put him in a stable there ans got my lorry and went to collect him. hes soaked, sweating but stopped blowing and ive shut him in a stable for now.

The breeder is adamant that they wont take him back because of diseases he might have from being on my yard. All my horses compete so theyre all UTD on all jabs. theyre all in excellent condition.

I knew i was taking on a green horse, but i was not expecting a horse that is 7 and backed to be this unhandleable. ive never had to deal with this situation before, and i have had green horses before. If my fencing cant hold him, nothing will . Im left with a big fencing bill, a horse that is dangerous ( he also kicked my dog yesterday ) the breeder is simply not interested, the horse is a danger to himself and others and i couldnt pass him on to someone so im facing having him PTS. IM in tears, my leg is killing me, the breeders attitude is simply making me angry, im sorry for the horse because hes sweet as really, its not his fault hes just scared.

can i have a cup of tea please? and some peas for my knee.

Horrific.

1. I hope you have a receipt from a breeder
2. Wont have him back due to disease on your yard??? cope out I bet they knew what he was like.
3. Ask BHS what you can do
5.Try once more then take him to small claims
6, Tradiing Standard, although they are pretty useless in my experience
7. Sounds like some serious fails on the breeders part in training this horse, at 7 to behave and not even tie up.

Say if you don't take him back you will take him to small claims, costs here https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees.

try here > https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

He will have to cover your court fees as well as his if you get judge in your favour. Sometimes the threat is enough . Believe me I did it to a few liveries who refused to pay.

I smell a rat and would not buy from them. I bet this has happened before .

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think you need to take stock before you seriously consider putting this horse down - you've had a terrible shock.

Phone the BHS now (work must have a phone?)

Take photo's tomorrow of your fencing (you must surely have a camera?)

Sedate him to turn him out - but try turning him out exactly the same as yesterday, no change.

Was he turned out this morning - as yesterday? Or did you leave him in until lunch time?

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Oh dear, what a messy situation all round. I must say though in the poor horses defence (not slating you OP) but he's 7 and you bought him from his breeders. He's had 7 years of familiarity and suddenly his while life and routine changes.
It's bad enough or us humans who can understand change but for him it must be terrifying, hence the blind panic bolt.
Last time I moved yards my horse took a good 6 months to truly settle in. I'd had her for 5 years at this point (most of her life as she was 2 when I got her) so she knew me and she knew the routine which stayed the same. It takes time to adjust.

I just hope everything ends up well for you and the horse.

digitalangel

Visit site
am going to use a friends phone and call the BHS. no camera, only camera i have is on my phone. have sedalin so will sedate. was turned out this morning was fine ..calling bhs now

suestowford

Visit site
I was just thinking about this - have you been in touch with the Dodgy Dealers page on fb? Isn't that MrsB's page as well as Epona Stars? They may know more about the breeder.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
I think youve misread my post. i didnt take any buddies away. i was aware he needed time to settle, i just moved them from one field to another so he could meet the other guys over the fence. i was trying to introduce him to other horses over the fence. he was introduced to his first buddy yesterday over the fence.

please tell me what other effort i should have made?

i only made a grab to try and save his life, from going on the A41.

knowing how much of an isolated life he has led up until now, i think i would have let him settle with one other horse before moving the others around-mine are all very settled and know each other very well but when they move in to new paddocks (individual turnout) they still act like idiots, its bound to be unsettling for a new, nervous horse, even more so when he's so not used to it.

granted i too would grab a horse to stop an accident but dont blame him for kicking you, that was my point. you did the right thing to get him but he shouldnt be labelled dangerous for panicking and kicking out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
was turned out this morning was fine ..calling bhs now

Ok, so this situation arose after you made a change. His second change in as many days.

I'm sure you'll be able to work around this. Horse is obviously a sensitive soul and is going to need some sensitive management.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
im sitting here shaking and crying just had a horrible experience.

Picked up a new horse yesterday - 7yo but green, direct from the breeder. He had been ridden on their yard but not hacked much and basically found out he has big gaps in his education - not had rug on, not been tied up. Turned him out next to another horse yesterday and he seemed fine. Today i turned him out with a buddy and when i went to switch fields with another horse and moved him next to another horse he went crazy. went through the post+electric, then over/through 2 lots of post and rail and then onto the road. i was chasing him to no avail but someone stopped in the car and we followed him in the car. he was heading towards the main road so i called the police to alert them. we tried getting in front of him, and stopped the car across the road a few times, but he ran me down. just before the main road i made a divebomb bu missed and he kicked my in the knee. somehow and i really dont know how he went straight across the main road without getting collected by a truck. about a mile from thew a41 he finally slowed to a trot , we managed to get past him and another divebomb meant i got him. some lovely horsey people stopped and i put him in a stable there ans got my lorry and went to collect him. hes soaked, sweating but stopped blowing and ive shut him in a stable for now.

The breeder is adamant that they wont take him back because of diseases he might have from being on my yard. All my horses compete so theyre all UTD on all jabs. theyre all in excellent condition.

I knew i was taking on a green horse, but i was not expecting a horse that is 7 and backed to be this unhandleable. ive never had to deal with this situation before, and i have had green horses before. If my fencing cant hold him, nothing will . Im left with a big fencing bill, a horse that is dangerous ( he also kicked my dog yesterday ) the breeder is simply not interested, the horse is a danger to himself and others and i couldnt pass him on to someone so im facing having him PTS. IM in tears, my leg is killing me, the breeders attitude is simply making me angry, im sorry for the horse because hes sweet as really, its not his fault hes just scared.

can i have a cup of tea please? and some peas for my knee.

To which I would add if he was ok yesterday he could have been either drugged or sedated or buted up and now its worn off.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
God you poor thing.

I was just going to say, with regard to what is happening to the horse right now, I would get the vet out and get him on Sedalin. This will really take the edge off, and help you to make plans.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ok, so this situation arose after you made a change. His second change in as many days.

I'm sure you'll be able to work around this. Horse is obviously a sensitive soul and is going to need some sensitive management.

I agree , a seven year old whose never been away from home and cost £1000 I would have been expecting trouble .
Use sedation for a few days keep him with one friend ATM and establish a strict roultine .
I hope your knees ok soon.
Take a deep breath .

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
God you poor thing.

I was just going to say, with regard to what is happening to the horse right now, I would get the vet out and get him on Sedalin. This will really take the edge off, and help you to make plans.

the only thing with that Shy is the vet might want to take bloods to see if there is anything else wrong and they wouldn't want that to mess the results.

WelshD

Visit site
I dont have much that is constructive to add but would recommend that you take screenprints of anything that will back up your case that you have found online

(press shift and prtscn at the same time then click to a blank word document and right click and paste)

digitalangel

Visit site
I wasnt expecting a made horse - so which is why i asked questions about the fencing he had before, routine he had before. I honestly though i was doing all the right things, introducing over fence. had a buddy etc. what i wasnt expecting was himt o go through that many fences and in a blind panic. having since gone though breeders fb i can now see shes had problems with a bolter before - it doesnt reference him specifically but i know she was riding him last year. i dont want to PTS but im not sure i have the time he needs and wouldnt feel right about selling him on knowing he can do this.

I agree , a seven year old whose never been away from home and cost £1000 I would have been expecting trouble .
Use sedation for a few days keep him with one friend ATM and establish a strict roultine .
I hope your knees ok soon.
Take a deep breath .

splashnutti1

Visit site
First off all so sorry you had such an awful experience hope you feel a bit better soon, it must have been very scary?

Not sure if this will help but i had a similar thing happen (not quite as bad) my new horse who was only 3 and a half but had been ridden a year in ireland ( sold to me as a 5 year old but knew he wasnt) had been with me a week and was in with my old man and shetland (only those 3 on the yard) all was fine till the weekend when i took the old man out of the field to ride ( left shetland in the field with new horse) now old man was only being ridden in the field just across the drive from where my new lad was! suddenly he flipped galloped through 3 electric fences, jumped over post and rail onto the drive, fortunatley galloped down the drive towards stables then crashed through more post and rail fencing and another electric fence before galloping madly round and round the field where old man was, took ten mins to calm him down enough to get hold of him and then had to shut him in a stable with both doors shut till he calmed down!!! he was unbale to get on road as luckily my yard has 6ft thick hedgeing and trees all the way round.

I eventually got him back out of stable once he was calmer, did some inhand ground work with him for an hour in a dually (he hadnt done much groundwork prior to me having him,), re stabled him overnight then turned him back out next morning! he has never done it since and have had him a year and a half now.

i think he had never seen electric before, he got a shock which spooked him but once he had time to calm down and realise that the fence hurts if touched and learnt to expect a shock he has been fine! now has great respect for all fencing :)

if you feel your lads problems are un fixable then i would contact bhs for advice xx

Charlie007

Visit site
Absolutely frightening. I collected a horse a few years ago that proved to be dangerous. After having no
luck with the seller we loaded horse up, took him back and parked lorry blocking off his drive. In the end he swapped the horse and we ended up with an absolute cracker.

dianchi

Visit site
I am sorry that you have had this, but new horse never left home in 7yrs I would have gone a lot slower with a routine personally.

Anyway deep breathe no point worrying over spilt milk.

Important things here are- A do you still want the horse, if not then go down BHS route and return to breeder.

B- yes you do want horse and how to manage. Personally I would sedate for turnout for a week, keep the turnout in a strict routine, do not leave alone or in the dark.

You will have to treat him like a 5yo broken this year, and take it all slow.

My girl it turned out was a rearer and had been returned twice from where I got her from, none of this was told to me and I bought sold as seen. After about 2 months she did rear with me, but it was to a situation not just cos she could as others would have said.
Your poor boy has run from a confused situation nothing more, you don't know if this was the horse spoken about before so you cant make that call.

Keep calm and plan out what you are going to do.

Annagain

Visit site
I think I'd be inclined to just take him back with no warning and leave him there - providing you can get in there to do it and it's not all locked up. Did you notice what the setup was when you were there? You can then start on getting your money back. I would feel a bit guilty about doing that to him, and it's probably not the right thing to do legally, but if they refuse to do the right thing I don't see what else you can do?

If I'd bred him, had him for 7 years and knew that he was so upset going somewhere new I'd want him back for his sake, so there's obviously something fishy going on.

In the meantime, definitely get him on sedalin.

doriangrey

Visit site
What a horrible experience for you. I have no advice to offer about where you might stand about returning the horse. I can only add get your knee checked out and make sure you stay safe around the horse. Sorry you had to go through it, I've chased my horse up the road before when someone left the gate open and even though she wasn't in a mad panic the scenarios going through my head were awful. Feel better xx

digitalangel

Visit site
Thanks, just got off phone with BHS... they said to check my home insurance ( just about to ) and persue a claim as misdescribed. ( was decribed not a bolter, have witnesses ). Now i know it may just be a one-off and i know why he ran he was obviously terrified and hindsight being what it was maybe i could have gone slower, but honestly thought was doing all the right things, had a buddy, not alone, gradual introduction to rest of the horses over fence, etc. he was moved with his buddy to the next-door field.

So what do i do now? good question. Yes i could load him up and go sit in their drive, but the old guy was pretty set in his ways - i nearly walked away because he changed the price when i came to pay for him so i ended up paying 50 quid more than i thought he was anyway and the granddaughter seemed nice enough i dont think she would be able to do much. But i feel the situaton would likely escalate and not in a good way.

Do i want a horse that bolts and has no respect for fencing? no. i specifically asked them if he bolts bucks or rears. i specifically asked what he was like being turned out and told he was fine, that he was used to post and electric. i was prepared for a project and something that needed work and filling in the gaps of his education and there are some pretty big gaps. for my budget i expected that.
the breeder mentioned no issues with being turned out. hes also quite difficult to catch at the moment but i expected that. i mentioned my concerns to the breeder regarding him not having ever been away from home and even asked for a trial - they said he would be fine and no to a trial. so i had my eyes open.

I dont feel it would be responsible for me to sell him on. he would worry he would do the same thing. i honestly have to ask myself if i truly have the time to deal with the issues he has.. i am not sure. i work full time and i have 2 others. my plan was to work with him on the ground for the first 2 weeks anyway, didnt dream of getting on him for a while. however, i feel needs monitoring in his turnout and im not sure i can do that. i do watch the horses through the window, but if he went again i would have no chance of catching him.

My worry is some horses are just blind bolters - and i think he might be one. ive seen one before that bolted like that and there was a big nasty accident with someone getting seriously injured. Nothing stopped him and how he didnt kill himself or someone else i do not know. Now i could slow his routine down and sedate him and work with him, but my worry would be in the back of my mind of what if he did that with a rider on board. i am trying to look at the bigger picture here.

Booboos

Visit site
I think you are entitled to return him if he does not suit for purpose, but don't communicate with them via FB or phone. Write a letter saying the horse is not fit for purpose (or whatever wording TS advise) and send it recorded delivery.

Having said that I think you are a bit quick to label the horse a bolter. He had a fright and took off. Thinking back Freddy did kind of similar to me, when he was 5 years old. He had an injury and had been in a small electric fence pen with his buddy, a mini, I had only owned F for about a month or two at that stage. I went to get both of them and somehow the mini stepped out of the gate opening before I had a headcollar on F. F panicked, took off, took the fencing with me (which got wraped around my legs and pulled me to the ground, but luckily then came free of the horse so I was not dragged) and took off galoping around the farm for half an hour. Luckily he stopped at the cattle grid but still two of us and buckets of nuts still could not catch him for half an hour - he went completely bonkers.

What I mean is that that's horses for you sometimes. Had this happened 2-3 years into ownership you would put it down to a really bad day. Freddy hasn't done anything like this before or after, it was just bad luck.

digitalangel

Visit site
right this minute he is in a stable - dont want to sedate him just yet because of the colic risk. i will speak to the vet in the morning and see what he suggests re turnout and sedating. 2 of my fields are ruined anyway, and need to get the fencing fixed.

catroo

Visit site
I think you're being a bit quick labelling him a bolter, there are lots of reasons why he did what he did and while quite an extreme reaction, it's not unheard off.

You either send back, keep and take things a lot slower, or sell.

Personally I wouldn't be put off buying an animal like you have described if I felt he had potential but I have my own land, a very settled and laid back group and high hedges and trees.

digitalangel

Visit site
yep maybe i am a bit quick but just reminds me of the experiences ive had before. ive had bolters in the past, and i believe there are 2 kinds, one which will bolt but will protect himself and one that runs blind into anything. he was running at cars and they were getting out of the way.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Unless you can prove that when you asked about bolting it was in context of turnout I don't think it gives you any come back from the owner .
The horse was probally fine turned out with them it was away from home from for the first time and its seven and panicked I don't think its a given they knew it would misbehave.
if you take them to court that's what they will say we could not have foreseen the horse doing this .
However if you don't want the horse seek to return it PDQ then take them to the small claims court.