horse just bolted 5 miles down the road

pansy

Visit site
Sorry haven't read all posts what a horrible thing to happen - i cant imagine how you are feeling I am short on time - need to do horses before dark - did you say dealers have a Fb page ? Maybe put some comments on there as to what has happened or suggest that you might - if they block you could always go on as a friend

digitalangel

Visit site
I think you're being a bit quick labelling him a bolter, there are lots of reasons why he did what he did and while quite an extreme reaction, it's not unheard off.

You either send back, keep and take things a lot slower, or sell.

Personally I wouldn't be put off buying an animal like you have described if I felt he had potential but I have my own land, a very settled and laid back group and high hedges and trees.

ideally i would like to send him back. i believe it is the best place for him. i also have my own land and a very settled and laid back group. unfortunately i dont have any high hedges..... but through post and rail would be enough.

Flame_

Visit site
I maintain (against the majority on here) that an awful lot of horses have bolted, proper full blown, panicked, ain't stopping for nobody bolted but aren't deranged lost causes and "true bolters".

Many, many horses have it in them if they feel driven to it, but they certainly aren't all only good for dog food. You wanted a project (which is really code for PITA at least currently if not forever) that is probably what he is.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I maintain (against the majority on here) that an awful lot of horses have bolted, proper full blown, panicked, ain't stopping for nobody bolted but aren't deranged lost causes and "true bolters".

Many, many horses have it in them if they feel driven to it, but they certainly aren't all only good for dog food. You wanted a project (which is really code for PITA at least currently if not forever) that is probably what he is.

All horses have it in them to bolt they are flight animals .
I frankly think its ludricous to label a horse that done this as some sort of dangerous nutter on its first move from home it was over faced and panicked .

Polos Mum

Visit site
The breeders attitude would raise alarm bells for me. Most genuine people want their sold horses to end up in the right place and if he was as just uneducated and had done this I'd have assumed (very wrongly probably) that you couldn't handle his level of education and I'd be there in a flash to pick him up.

The fact they've told you to poke it is probably not a good sign.

Looks like you might have to clear up the mess of someone who wouldn't do the responsible thing by a horse they bred - very sad but not uncommon.

I can't think of many example of horses running through 2 sets of post and rail - but happy to be corrected if this is a common occurance

digitalangel

Visit site
i will re-iterate that i dont want to have to PTS. and i will try, while i can to do the right thing by the horse, but i will also be seeking to return the horse through the proper channels. im not even that worried about the money, i just want the horse in a safe situation.

In the meantime i will try to work with him and make sure he is safe and well cared for. i am however extremely worried that this will happen again if i turn him out. however will go back and slow things down/sedate for turnout in the short term. Last resort is PTS though. Ive seen horses get a fright and bolt, and ive seen ones who bolt with no self-preservation and i believe there is a difference, sorry about that.

splashnutti1

Visit site
The breeders attitude would raise alarm bells for me. Most genuine people want their sold horses to end up in the right place and if he was as just uneducated and had done this I'd have assumed (very wrongly probably) that you couldn't handle his level of education and I'd be there in a flash to pick him up.

The fact they've told you to poke it is probably not a good sign.

Looks like you might have to clear up the mess of someone who wouldn't do the responsible thing by a horse they bred - very sad but not uncommon.

I can't think of many example of horses running through 2 sets of post and rail - but happy to be corrected if this is a common occurance

I agree its probably not a common occurence but as i said in my previous post my lad ploughed through my post and rail wooden fencing and my electric when he got spooked so it can happen. It gave me a real fright at first and i was unsure what to do with him as he was just blindly running through things (including me lol), i am in no doubt that if he could have got on the road he would have gone for miles, took ages to calm him down, but he was new to the place so gave him the benefit of the doubt, did some basic ground work with him and he has never shown a hint of doing anything like it since, infact i dont even have the electric on now and he stays put, so can turn out okay :)

Every horse is different though, op hope it works out for you whatever you decide xx

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
All horses have it in them to bolt they are flight animals .
I frankly think its ludricous to label a horse that done this as some sort of dangerous nutter on its first move from home it was over faced and panicked .

agree completely.
if you dont have the skills or nerves to deal with him, gift him to someone who does.
this is not the horses fault at all and i cant belive people are advising filling him full of dope as though he's some kind of dangerous nutjob.

OrangePepper

Visit site
I am sorry to read of your problems with your horse.
I would always advise having a horse vetted, however cheap as they all cost the same amount of money and time to keep.
I would suggest that the warning signs were already there - the horse being a green 7 year old.
I would also suggest that it will take some time for this horse to settle and calm down in it's new environment and that you will need to persist to determine it's true temprement and character.
In view of the sum you paid fo the horse it is not worth the aggrovation, time or money taking any legal action against the breeder unless as a matter of principle in which case you will not come out of it spending less than about £10k on legal fees.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
To be fair to the OP here I expect (as we all would be) she was scared witless at this horrible event. I too would probably be hysterical with fear at something like this happening and the possible consequences.
Likely when she has had a little time to reflect and gather a good plan of action all will go well. We can all have shots out of the blue although not usually this serious and have a knee jerk reaction to it - very understandable.
I do hope that the horse is just green and scared and all will come right. I have a 4 yr old filly who is a handful at times on the ground and does the unexpected and one does get complacent if you have older well mannered horses who are settled it's easy to forget just how good they are. Mostof te good behaviour is down to trust and that needs to be grown with a new horse. Good luck OP.

Polos Mum

Visit site
i will re-iterate that i dont want to have to PTS. and i will try, while i can to do the right thing by the horse, but i will also be seeking to return the horse through the proper channels. im not even that worried about the money, i just want the horse in a safe situation.

OP don't get me wrong the right thing doesn't have to be PTS, it could be months of careful handling and education or vet investigations (v poor sight might make a horse run through fencing) but IMHO the breeder should have done this.

When I compare to the lovely Dolly who was brought up by first time foal owners and looks to be a pleasure to own it's a shame all breeders don;t put the same investment in early education!

be positive

Visit site
That the horse bolted from the field would not be covered by the statement that it does not bolt, buck or rear they are considered ridden vices, taking fright and galloping down the road when loose is totally different.

As for sedation, it will not last for long, sedalin is not going to stop it from having a panic and may not even relax him anyway, he settled when you first turned him out so may well do the same next time.
I don't know what the answer is in where you go if they breeders refuse to take him back, fighting through courts will take time and money, the horse may have a problem but the chances are the poor thing has been a victim of circumstances, lack of education in his early years, then maybe being a bit more than they could deal with, now passed on for little money just to get shot of their problem.

digitalangel

Visit site
noone here ever said it was the horses fault.

I would love to have the facilities and 12 ft high hedges to keep this horse from bolting onto the road. But i dont. I have to do what is right by the horse to keep him SAFE.

Every horse reacts differently to new situations. Ive had horses that have come off the boat from Holland that have never had a new home and not reacted like this. I do not have psychic ability sadly. Other youngsters i have had have not reacted like this. Ive never seen anything quite like it. Ive seen bolters but not like this. If that means i am 'overhorsed' or 'lack the skills or nerves' to deal with this, then so be it. I am saying i lack the *facilities* to deal with this and the time required to monitor the horse in turnout every day.

I need to keep the horse safe and the public safe and myself safe. Im not worried about labelling him but it was an extremely dangerous situation today that i dont want to repeat.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
agree completely.
if you dont have the skills or nerves to deal with him, gift him to someone who does.

Where are all these wonderfully skilled 'horsey angels' who are willing to take on other people's problems??

To be fair, the OP is in shock, as I suspect many of us would be given that situation. Hindsight's a wonderful thing and maybe she should have taken things a little more slowly but what's happened has happened, maybe once over the shock she'll be able to see a way forward more clearly.

OP, I suspect you haven't a cat's chance of returning the horse to the breeder (unless you dump him there) or getting your money back. Good luck, I've been in a not dissimilar situation, although your horse is a lot younger than mine was, so maybe there's hope.

luckyoldme

Visit site
its bloody terrifying. ive had my horse 5 years now but can clearly remember him galloping down the a1 followed by a truck.
thing is you only have so long to make a descision . In the case of mine it was I think an extreme reaction to change and being in the hands of a nervous new owner.
You sound like you have a lot more about you than I do with horses..i just bought him and thought at the time it was par for the course! We got through it and built up a fantastic bond...although I would never feel right selling him..i know what he is capable of under all that butter would nt melt .
I know it took a long time to sort out..I had to turn him away and build the bond up gradually by only bringing him in to do nice stuff. funny thing is he is the most easy to do horse you could imagine now and well worth the hard work....... bringing him back into work taught me so much and was most definitely one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

DW Team

Visit site
OP I have no advice ref the horse and bolting/returning him but just wanted to say I do hope you and he are ok and not to sore.

digitalangel

Visit site
Thank you Slightly foxed. Yes of course i am shocked and upset but also very grateful that the horse wasnt killed or anyone else was killed. also very grateful to the people who stopped and helped.

windand rain

Visit site
If you only collected him yesterday then I would load him up and take him straight back. If you anticipate a breach of the peace take a policeman with you Even a community one can bring a presence with him. They cannot refuse to take him back you may well have to pursue them through small claims to get the money back but as you say the horses welfare is paramount and if he cant be trusted you are already on the back foot. Get him back there and even if you have to hang about waiting for them make sure they know you mean business. He is not fit for purpose and is being sold by a dealer in the sense he is from a commercial breeder

Mariposa

Visit site
Must have been absolutely petrifying OP, I hope you're ok and your knee isn't too smashed up, sounds like you need a ruddy big drink

digitalangel

Visit site
Thank you. Its so good to hear im not the only one to have been in that situation and that others know how terrifying it really was for me.

Im no worldbeater but ive had projects before, youngsters before. have i dealt with this particular situation? no. but i doubt there is anyone on here who has dealt with every possible conceivable situation that can happen with a horse and if they have all the answers i would love to hear from them! Im not normally nervous of handling horses, i have some that arent easy already ( a rearer who is on box rest atm, joy! and a very sharp ridden horse ) and ive owned a few youngsters. but in all honesty, i didnt buy this horse as a forever horse, he was a project for me to bring on while my other horse was being rehabbed. Clearly this horse has more issues than i expected, but my worry is again the facilities and the time monitoring his turnout.

honetpot

Visit site
First of all what a shock and I can only imagine how sick to the stomach you felt. I think its all very easy to say this horse may not do it again, but if it does the owner and the owner of the land( who in this case are the same person) are liable. The horse was lucky it wasn't killed but every car driver that missed it had a lucky escape to. In law even you have secure fencing and gates and your horse gets out you are liable for any damage or injury that's why third party insurance is so important.
Whether this a one off or not unfortunately there is a duty of care, the breeder may be classed as a trader but that doesn't help you unless you want to keep it contained in a stable and fight through the small claims court. I think a safe solution would to turn it out in a fold yard or barn with company but its sound horrible I would probably get the hunt out and not have the worry.
A field neighbour of mine bought a pony and it has shown rig behaviour, breaking fences and attacking neighbours geldings. They had been told to either make sure the fence was secure or have it PTS. Last week it broke through the post and rail and seriously injured the neighbours gelding and it needed a four hour operation and it still might not recover. They have now put security fence panels but too late for the gelding. I just wouldn't want the worry.

JoannaC

Visit site
What a horrible thing to happen. I wonder if he did get zapped by the electric. I had a similar incident when I first got my mare as an unbroken 4 year old. She'd been fine for the first month and this particular morning she seemed a bit unsettled so I stayed in the field poo picking. She was near the fence and I think she must have touched it because she suddenly came belting down the field and then her rug slipped which completely freaked her out she then jumped out the field and proceeded to jump/barge through various fences around the yard. Thankfully she didn't get out onto the road but I still remember the feeling of terror and thinking she was going to kill herself. She can still be a bit of an idiot out in the field but touch wood has never done anything like it again but I do hate seeing her galloping round the field like a loon as it reminds me of that awful day. It does sound like your chap still has a mental age of 4 rather than 7 and hopefully it will all seem a bit better in the morning.

ihatework

Visit site
It's a really difficult one, OP I do feel for you.

I don't actually think you have done anything wrong - I don't think it is out of the question to expect a 7yo to turnout and have some sense of self preservation. You couldn't have predicted what he was going to do, despite retrospectively being able to explain why the behaviour may have come about.

Firstly, deep breath. Big glass of gin and a hot soak in the bath. He is okay and you are okay apart from being bruised and shaken.

I suppose next you have to decide what you are going to do. My main concern is that his 'breeders' have washed their hands of him. Now if that were my horse and I generally believed the horse to be a goodun, I would be worried sick if it displayed that kind of behaviour. At the very least offering to come and help/see what was going on.

None of sat here behind the computer screen can make a true assessment of either the horse or your ability to deal with the horse, so in my mind you need to partly go with your gut feeling and partly with some good unbiased experienced advise from a horsey professional that knows you.

You have 4 main courses of action:
1. Fight the breeders tooth and nail to get them to take the horse back and refund. This may work, it may not. But it will likely be a long and emotional journey that you may not win.
2. Sell/rehome the horse - honestly, can't see a massive market for something like this. Plenty of do-gooders out there that might not do the horse a favour though. Be very careful if you go down this route.
3. Have the horse PTS. Do you know what, I wouldn't blame you if you did, no emotional attachment and a case of cut your losses.
4. Keep the horse and work with him. Think very carefully about this if you do decide to do this.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here, you just have to do what feels right for you.

BBH

Visit site
It sounds horrific an experience and I can only imagine the terror you felt about what could have happened.

IMO the horse has made a catastrophic mistake but that Is all, just because you have had bolters before doesn't mean he is one. If you look at him in the cold light of day you have a horse who at the age of 7 had experienced very little. Your description of the lack of interest from the breeder makes you assume their horses were left to fend for themselves in a herd with very little / no chance of bonding with a human.

My advice - keep him stabled for a week , walking in hand, groom him , walk him around the new yard, let him bond and realise humans aren't bad and his surroundings aren't actually that scary.

Them put him in a small paddock with a quiet friend and again let him settle. Once happy them turn him out with another and in bigger field if required.

Once he has a chance to quieten and feel more confident he won't have anything to bolt from.
He has a lot of catching up to do and patience is needed whether that is from yourself or another experienced person.

Give him a fair chance and you maybe rewarded. Nine of this sounds his fault.

digitalangel

Visit site
Thank you ihatework. Seriously, thank you.

Yes this is exactly my conundrum. i was thinking of doing 1 and 4 together. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they have any advice. I am also saddened by the breeders attitude. I dont want to do 2 because i cant risk it. i may have to face doing 3. my gut instinct sadly says 3 because if this happens again i dont think the outcome would be a lot worse than it was at this time.

Yes while i was chasing him down and he was heading down woards the A road, it was going through my head of weether my 3rd party insurance (BHS) would cover this. it was only sheer luck the road he took is a 4 way intersection with the A41 so he was able to go straight over and not along the A41.

digitalangel

Visit site
I have had bolters before - but not like this a true, non-self preservation bolt. years ago i had a horse that would bolt inhand. she would take you on a skiing lesson then just ****** off. But she always had self-preservation about her.

Surprisngly, the horse rides quite well but there are other big gaps in his education which i was prepared for, ie groundwork. the plan before today was not even ride him for a while but work on the groundwork stuff fir a good while first.

i will re-iterate my first post - its not his fault he was clearly terrified.

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you ihatework. Seriously, thank you.

Yes this is exactly my conundrum. i was thinking of doing 1 and 4 together. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they have any advice. I am also saddened by the breeders attitude. I dont want to do 2 because i cant risk it. i may have to face doing 3. my gut instinct sadly says 3 because if this happens again i dont think the outcome would be a lot worse than it was at this time.

Yes while i was chasing him down and he was heading down woards the A road, it was going through my head of weether my 3rd party insurance (BHS) would cover this. it was only sheer luck the road he took is a 4 way intersection with the A41 so he was able to go straight over and not along the A41.

Well best of luck. Definitely stay safe, have a chat with the vet about sedation options ( I believe there is a long term injectable that might be worth considering) and build new situations up with him carefully. Always have a second person around just in case.

It would be nice to give him a second chance, you never know he may reward you in spades.