Horse leg fracture

Dru

Visit site
Hi,

My poor horse has a fractured lower leg. No idea how it happened as she was on box rest for a different injury at the time. She's at a hospital but they won't operate as it's too risky so I just have to wait and see if she gets through the next few weeks without a catastrophic event. If she does make it then surgery might be an option.

Has anyone had a horse leg fracture heal without surgery, is surgery always needed?

Lucyad

Visit site
It depends what bone imagine, but my horse fractured his tiba (kick injury - through under his belly and impact to his inner thigh basically - ouch!). He was cross tied in horsepital for 3 months, box rest with hand walking for 3 months, small paddock turnout for a month or so, then gradually back into work. He has had no further problems with it since, and was back in full work within 1 year.

Good luck, hope your horse recovers as well!

leflynn

Visit site
Mine fractured his leg from a kick by another horse, it was an upper radial fracture and he had no surgery and recovered fine, it all depend son the type an dlocation of the fracture as to what your vets will advise - good luck!

Dru

Visit site
I thought my husband was the only one to use 'horsepital'! It's her cannon bone in a rear leg. There's no dislocation at the moment and she has a Robert Jones bandage due to a wound on that same leg. She can walk around the stable and has been lying down and getting up herself. It's such a worrying time.

ellie_e

Visit site
Mines currently on week 5 of box rest for a 10cm hairline fracture of the radius! Shes been cross tied for 4wks, but have just let her off the cross ties this last week as she was becoming distressed. Vet recommeneded DuraPlex by KER so have been using that 3 times a day for about 2wks. Shes walking sound and is looking good. We re xray in a week!

Dru

Visit site
Against all the odds, it looks like my horse is recovering. Xray showed lots of callus forming so we're moving in the right direction. Broken leg also has an infection which ruled out surgery in the end.

Mule

Visit site
Against all the odds, it looks like my horse is recovering. Xray showed lots of callus forming so we're moving in the right direction. Broken leg also has an infection which ruled out surgery in the end.

Great news. Big relief

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Glad it's healing keeping fingers crossed for a full recovery

Dru

Visit site
It always annoys me when you search for something and there's no conclusion to the thread, so for anyone who has searched for broken legs here's what happened following a spiral fracture of the cannon bone...

Horse made a full recovery. 7 weeks in hospital followed by a further 5 months on box rest. A couple of months after coming home we started walking out by hand daily, building from 5 mins to 30 mins over the weeks. The point of this was to encourage mineralisation of the bone. During the last month she started going out in a paddock no bigger than 2 stables for a bit each day as preparation for turning out with the other horses.

Seven months after breaking the leg she went out in the big field and shortly after I started riding her again. Built her up very slowly but we were jumping again by the 1st anniversary of the injury.

The only sign that anything happened are the multiple scars she has from bandage pressure sores.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for updating, as you say it can be frustrating when there is no conclusion to a thread. I'm so pleased that your horse made such a good recovery.

HashRouge

Visit site
A wonderful update OP, I'm so glad your horse made a full recovery!

My mare has bandage pressure sore scars too - I suppose they are better than the alternative!

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
So glad your mare recovered.
I didn't see this thread when you put it up last year but will put my story of a broken leg on here now. I will just mention that this was the early eighties so some things may be a bit hazy. The horse was a yearling colt and he broke his hock in various places. At the same time he cut nearly through his tendon on off fore, break near hind. he was left loose in the foaling box and was bandaged up by the vet after xrays. He was in the box for about four months and then started turnout in the small indoor. I don't think he went back out with the youngsters until about month eight. He was kept entire and was used at stud for a couple of years and he never had a problem with his hock while covering. I backed him at four and he was cut as a late five year old. He was sold to someone who kept him until he was put down at 29. She did all sorts with him and although no world beater he did a bit of everything and was sound. He was a big horse, 17.1 at maturity.