horse names getting more odd ?

AceAmara

Visit site
Ive recently come across some odd ones! Lick (!) Woman.. and Boy ! Some perhaps more lacking in imagination than others. Are names getting more and more random or am I getting old :p

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Mine was Baby [when a yearling!], but new owner took her registered name [secret silver dancer] and came up with Evita , which I thought was perfect, she was a star!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Boy isn't really a new animal name. Prince Rupert had a big hunting dog called Boye or Boy who was a sort of figurehead in the royalist side of the Civil War - they thought he had supernatural powers! Before he was killed at Marston Moor, that is :p

WithoutWings

Visit site
I always found Cracker (the name of my 3yo cob) a little dull. As a stable name its great but as his passported name its a littler underwhelming. /:-D

blitznbobs

Visit site
I just think it's back lash from the 1980s and 90s when little tiny ponies had names like

darlingtons majestic dancing dark knight (made up)

Or

Llangrugnogs Dancing Fasinova ( my pony)

orbvalley

Visit site
Mine is call Madrileno or "Mad" for short! Suits him too!! Have me eye on a Connemara called Cocaïne for my next one, or Coco for short:)

diamonddogs

Visit site
Mary. Oh dear.

My mare's got a Sport Horse Ireland passport. I was asked for a choice of three names so I gave then Shamrock (her given name), Sham (what she's known as), and something else, which escapes me at the moment.

It came back as Shammy. :rolleyes:

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Many years ago when my horses were at livery the yard owners put a foal in our stable block as his was full. It didn't have a name and we started calling her foaly and it just stuck so when she was registered the owners just changed the spelling to Foley.

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
When I first got my boy, I hated his name if I'm honest nd cringed a bit when I told anyone it. I only like it now because it suits his personality down to the ground and now I can't ever imagine him with a name that suits him more than this one does!

His name is Geezer... And he's a complete dude :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I have got a retired riding school pony here who, when bought by the school, was named 'Beast of Bodmin'. They renamed her Tinkerbell, now she is 'Tinks'. Best of Bodmin suited her better.
My big horse is 'Prince'. Sigh.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
We live on a dairy farm and recently bought a piebald cob, called fox, that my sister predominantly hunts.

Oh the irony...she has every right to have an identity crisis.

rowan666

Visit site
my filly is called Tear, named because her breeder cried when she was born, i actually quite like it except shes a hairy skewbald built like a brick ***** house not a dainty grey show pony :/

my daughters sec A is Llewgarth denis the menace. He is a menace!

Chiffy

Visit site
Years ago the Father of a friend bought a couple of youngsters and turned them away for a while. The chesnut was called Russet but the bay was unnamed. He used to say, 'can you pop up to the field and check Russet and t'other one'. Yes, you've guessed it, when the bay was registered it became T'Other One!

acorn92x

Visit site
I've known some odd names I must say - Tinkerbell, Cobby, Morris, Bear, Cub and Cola are just a few! Funnily enough, 4 of them were actually all on the same livery yard and 2 of them belonged to my friends when we were about 10!

miss_c

Visit site
Currently (if using nicknames) we have Polz, Pudz, Hairy Egg and Old Baggage on the yard... (Genie is the Old Baggage!)...

I too have known a Pony, I wonder if it was the same one Paint Me Proud! Bay New Forest, about 14.1hh? I also once played a polo pony called Rabbit, he was absolutely lovely, and another (a mare) whose name translated from the Spanish to 'Beer'!

Mind you, I can't talk... Fanfare's nickname was 'Pondy'......