Horse not enjoying flatwork

Visit site
So I have a 15.2 ISH showjumper mare that only moves well when we jump. When we flat she is lazy and has her ears back... does anyone have any advice of exercises that will keep her stimulated because obvs i can’t jump every day and it makes me sad seeing her like this :(

Orchard14

Visit site
What's she like to hack and do you have good hacking available? IMO schooling is pretty dull and very hard work for horses so I don't blame her. You can do everything you can do in the school out on a hack, especially if you have any fields to ride in, but generally horses find it a bit more interesting. I would hate for your mare to go sour so maybe just give her a break and switch it up a bit?

Shay

Visit site
We've had seevral who got like this from time to time. You can turn away if your comeptition schedule permits - I always tried to turn away for a good 4 week block once or twice a year so they could go back to just being horses. Relax and have a mooch. But other than that Orchard is absolutely right. They get school sour so spend a few weeks only jumping in the school or at competition and do any schooling out on hacks. We had one who we never had in the school at home - we only jumped at competition and just hacked the rest of the time to keep him sweet. He was brilliant!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OP is your horse feeling well and comfortable? I'm asking because I have seen horses that light up for jumping but are crabby about flatwork because something is hurting them. The adrenalin of jumping seems to overcome whatever is niggling, but that doesn't apply to their flatwork so that's when it becomes apparent. Ears back and feeling lazy would be pretty common symptoms.

FWIW my horses work in the school quite a bit and I have never had one go school sour. varied and interesting sessions where it's clear to the horse what is expected and good work is rewarded help to keep them interested IME.

Sail_away

Visit site
Reluctance to work could be a sign of pain. My horse is schooled three to four times a week flatwork as we don’t have any hacking. If she likes jumping, canter poles or raised poles could get her interested. Flying changes are similarly exciting to my horse, it might be an interesting thing to teach her. On the whole I find the most engaging things for horses are the ‘tricks’ you teach them rather than their general way of going - so, turn on the forehand, walk pirouettes, flying changes rather than drilling shapes and circles. I throw a few in to my schooling sessions just so he’s listening - might be worth a try.

Leandy

Visit site
Agree with some of the above. Horses are pretty obliging beasts and are perfectly happy to work even at something which might seem repetitive unless they find it uncomfortable. So check soundness, fit of tack, your own riding. Is schooling comfortable for the horse? I don't go for the you have to keep it "interesting" (ie constantly varied) at all times for them to generally be content. Most horses thrive on routine and the familiar, it is things outside their comfort zone they dislike and resist. Grazing in a field for hours every day looks pretty boring and repetitive to me but to a horse that is just a perfect way to pass the time.

milliepops

Visit site
Agree with some of the above. Horses are pretty obliging beasts and are perfectly happy to work even at something which might seem repetitive unless they find it uncomfortable. So check soundness, fit of tack, your own riding. Is schooling comfortable for the horse? I don't go for the you have to keep it "interesting" (ie constantly varied) at all times for them to generally be content. Most horses thrive on routine and the familiar, it is things outside their comfort zone they dislike and resist. Grazing in a field for hours every day looks pretty boring and repetitive to me but to a horse that is just a perfect way to pass the time.
I do agree with this, personally I mean a varied session to mean not drilling the same circle for 45 mins ;)
That way lies aching muscles and a dizzy rider!

Hallo2012

Visit site

this 100%

Leandy

Visit site
I do agree with this, personally I mean a varied session to mean not drilling the same circle for 45 mins ;)
That way lies aching muscles and a dizzy rider![/QUOTE

Yes, I think we need to keep schooling varied because it (a) relieves pressure and stress caused by continuing one activity for too long and helps overall development of muscles etc etc and the way of going which is the aim of schooling and (b) keeps the horse's attention on us because he is waiting for the next instruction so he remains "on the aids" and obedient and doesn't go either dead to the aids or get distracted and inconsistent by spotting things to gawp at. So, OP when you say she is "lazy and has her ears back" is she actually resisting you here - which would seem a sign of discomfort? Or is she lolloping along quite happily and softly but switched off and half asleep? If the latter, then I agree this is an issue with you not schooling for responsiveness and obedience and a good way of going.

Leandy

Visit site
Sorry, new to this and didn't get the quoting thing quite right above :)

Yes, I think we need to keep schooling varied because it (a) relieves pressure and stress caused by continuing one activity for too long and helps overall development of muscles etc etc and the way of going which is the aim of schooling and (b) keeps the horse's attention on us because he is waiting for the next instruction so he remains "on the aids" and obedient and doesn't go either dead to the aids or get distracted and inconsistent by spotting things to gawp at.

So, OP when you say she is "lazy and has her ears back" is she actually resisting you here - which would seem a sign of discomfort? Or is she lolloping along quite happily and softly but switched off and half asleep? If the latter, then I agree this is an issue with you not schooling for responsiveness and obedience and a good way of going.

Last edited:

Orchard14

Visit site
FWIW my horses work in the school quite a bit and I have never had one go school sour. varied and interesting sessions where it's clear to the horse what is expected and good work is rewarded help to keep them interested IME.

To be fair - historically I haven't met a school soured horse either, it's just one of those things you hear a lot. And I do agree with ruling out discomfort.

I've competed up to Advanced/a couple of PSG's and we don't even have a school at home, everything gets taught out hacking or in the fields. I credit my horses enthusiasm, 'sharpness' and 'hotness' on this which is always well received by the judges, not to mention power and fitness.

milliepops

Visit site
I'm sure it helps :) My small tour horse won't hack solo and we aren't allowed to ride on the turnout hills so we just have to make do :p

OP hasn't actually stated whether she has a school or not but assuming so, it would be a facility you'd want to be able to use when it's dark/too wet on fields/just because/etc

Regardless of the location though, I think it should be possible to flatwork school a healthy horse in a suitable place from time to time so the OP either has a physical problem, a riding problem or a training problem that needs to be addressed :) need a bit more info from them at this stage ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had a couple of school soured horses .
The worst of the lot was Fatty he had been shown which I can safely say he must have hated .
He point blank refused to work in an indoor he would work in an outdoor for me but for anyone else he just would not go forwards properly .
I am sure if he had been for me I would have got round it but as he was a hunter for MrGS ,so we left him to it .
We schooled on grass in the summer and he would lunge in the school if needed in the winter .
If I owned OPs horse I would start taking it in the school for short periods and insiting that it marched forwards in walk on long or loose reins and I would be prepared to use one or two schooling whips to show what I wanted as soon as the horse walked forwards for a few moments I would reward it and take it out of the school .
I would be looking to make slow progress towards where I wanted to get to over a six month period .

oldie48

Visit site
I've had a school sour horse. He'd been ridden internationally by a para rider and although competed by a grade 2b rider was kept schooled up by a professional. He was fantastic to hack, would happily pop a jump or two very sensibly but was a complete pain to school. He had loads of variety and was not drilled but he just did not want to do dressage. He was a bit of a toad in that he'd warm up nicely at a competition but as soon as the bell rang he'd drop behind the leg. He had a mind of his own and despite having all the moves up to Adv med, would do a spectacular med trot he was such hard work. He was as sound as a pound and on occasions would do some really lovely work. After struggling with him for 5 years i sold him as a hack with full disclosure and his new owner adored him. she had great success doing veteran showing classes and low key RC dressage but mainly did loads of off road hacking and sadly lost him recently in a field accident.

Visit site
Worth getting a vet check in case something is not quite right.

OP - what kinds of things are you doing in your flatwork sessions?
usually because she is quite fit we do flying changes and pole work... I gave her a couple days off to regenerate basically so am going to see how she is today because im starting to believe she’s just tired bless her

Visit site
Sorry, new to this and didn't get the quoting thing quite right above :)

Yes, I think we need to keep schooling varied because it (a) relieves pressure and stress caused by continuing one activity for too long and helps overall development of muscles etc etc and the way of going which is the aim of schooling and (b) keeps the horse's attention on us because he is waiting for the next instruction so he remains "on the aids" and obedient and doesn't go either dead to the aids or get distracted and inconsistent by spotting things to gawp at.

So, OP when you say she is "lazy and has her ears back" is she actually resisting you here - which would seem a sign of discomfort? Or is she lolloping along quite happily and softly but switched off and half asleep? If the latter, then I agree this is an issue with you not schooling for responsiveness and obedience and a good way of going.
yes i mean she moves and doesn’t show any signs of like bucking and showing genuine pain i honestly think flatwork just bores her

Visit site
I'm sure it helps :) My small tour horse won't hack solo and we aren't allowed to ride on the turnout hills so we just have to make do :p

OP hasn't actually stated whether she has a school or not but assuming so, it would be a facility you'd want to be able to use when it's dark/too wet on fields/just because/etc

Regardless of the location though, I think it should be possible to flatwork school a healthy horse in a suitable place from time to time so the OP either has a physical problem, a riding problem or a training problem that needs to be addressed :) need a bit more info from them at this stage ;)
She’s just been vetted and quite harshly at that so i doubt anything is that wrong with her.. she behaves well but just seems bored with flatwork, i am probably going to give her a week or so of just hacking because my friend did that with her horse and she came back better than ever so might give that a go, thank you for your advice!

Wheels

Visit site
usually because she is quite fit we do flying changes and pole work... I gave her a couple days off to regenerate basically so am going to see how she is today because im starting to believe she’s just tired bless her

Is this horse new to you? Just with you saying she had a recent vetting?

Has she been worked very hard recently? Otherwise it's difficult to understand how a fit horse would be so tired that she is ear pinning and not wanting to go forward properly.

Do you do any stretching and lateral work with her?

Visit site
Is this horse new to you? Just with you saying she had a recent vetting?

Has she been worked very hard recently? Otherwise it's difficult to understand how a fit horse would be so tired that she is ear pinning and not wanting to go forward properly.

Do you do any stretching and lateral work with her?
yes she is new.. i know her old owners and i also know that she is a fit horse. I don’t think i have been very helpful providing info so sorry everyone! She was one of 25 horses for her old owner to ride so in the few days before we bought her im assuming that she wasn’t ridden very much and lost some fitness. She’s been given a few days off and im going to keep my rides shorter or instead just hack her to rebuild some fitness for summer. I’ll start doing some stretches with her now that’s a good idea! She goes on the walker a few days a week for a leg stretch too