Horse owners attitude

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Opinions please...i am being unreasonable!

We have quite a large herd turnout, approx 35 horses in approx 25 ac. There is one horse there that kicks the others repeatly, chases and kicks and corners at the gate.

The yard owner has told her to ensure she gets her horse in early as there has been 2 horses lame in the last month and another 2 kicked but been ok (mine being one of them) she sometimes ignores this and leaves them standing at the gate whilst she does all her jobs. I went yesterday to get the 3 in i look after and managed to get 2 past them (big bolshy friesians with NO manners) and with the 3rd they cornered her and kicked her repeatly! lucky i didnt get hurt but the poor mare. The owner, at the point of me calling mine to come in, knowing hers were at the gate begging to come in, walked off into her stable to leave me to deal with them:mad:

After all this i went in (bearing in mind she told the yard owner that if anyone had a issue just come and speak to her) and said 'just to let you know your horse and just pined another horse and kicked it repeatly' to which her reply was 'oh well, never mind' :eek:

I was soooo angry, how can you not care that your horse is hurting others and do nothing about it like bring it in and tie it up.

I'd like to add he gets fed nothing but straw and sugar beet occasionally so to be fair prob not the horses fault, hes just unhappy and starving poor thing! Althugh he doesn't have shoes on thank god, so thats a plus (this is the girl who does their feet with a angle grinder from the barefoot thread lol) think she is a sandwich short of a picnic....the whole yard thinks that :D

In this situation what would you do..... she is however leaving in june so i would be relunctant to leave with my horse as i look after 3 horses there.

vieshot

Visit site
Not surprising with so many in a field. Wouldn't put my pony put with thirty five others in the first place if I'm honest.....

Sophstar

Visit site
Can you not fence off a section of the field off for your horse/horses you look after? We had a similar problem at our yard when the newest livery (again every1 thinks has a screw loose) put her 2 geldings who act like stallions out into our established herd that has 4 mares in. After a night of the mares being chased we asked her to remove them as the herd had been calm before hand. Luckily another new livery who knew their horse kicked instantly put her gelding out seperately and slowly got introduced into the mini herd of other bolshy geldings:rolleyes:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
To be honest, it's up to the YO to sort this out, and fence off a separate area for her horse(s?). You can't expect her to organise her routine around when you want to bring your horses in, even if her horse(s) are causing trouble.

Horses are horses, some of them are more aggressive in the field than others - if you don't like this, you have to go to a yard where they have turnout for your needs.

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Not surprising with so many in a field. Wouldn't put my pony put with thirty five others in the first place if I'm honest.....

Totally understand what you are saying, i have thought this many times but all the yards round me just have 'mud' fields, ours surprisingly has some grazing :)

x-di-x

Visit site
Speak to your yo again? explain that you spoke to her and her attitude. reminder her that you yourself were very nearly injured and it was by luck alone you weren't. (if you were yo liability insurance would have to pay). the livery may well be leaving in june but tbh if she/horse is that bad - she should be asked to go sooner imo.

The YO as a duty of care for you, a paying customer, and should take all reasonable steps to ensure your safety when enterning/leaving the field, as she is aware of a problem horse.

zaminda

Visit site
35 horses on 25 acres? Sorry but that is an accident waiting to happen!
I would say the yard owner needs to tell her to bring the horse in earlier, she also has a responsibilty to make sure the horse is being cared for properly, so if it is starving as she isn't feeding it, yard owner should take issue with that!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Difficult one, although she is leaving in June, the risk in the meantime is unacceptable.
I would have a word with the YO. If the problem is only when horses are being brought in, then I'd ask that the owner brings in at an agreed time everyday before the others come in.
If the horse is agressive at other times, then, I'd get mine out of there immediately, either by moving to another field or finding tempory grazing til the horse goes.
35 horses in 25 acres sounds too much TBH anyway. Stressful for horses and owners, particularly with different routines and horses coming and going.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had a problem with a similar set up though not as many but the horse is question was targetting mine, basically they were 2 horses that should not have been together.

So I left, my must have for any yard is now that they have a few smaller herds so that the yard manager can adjust the herds to ensure the best mix of personalities.

Even if she leaves the next horse could be aggressive and with that set up they have no way of managing this. With 35 horses you are lucky that there is only one that is aggressive.

Not sure the feed is an issue if the horse is not underweight. With spring grass coming through and you said your grazing was good, a bit of sugarbeet and straw may be appropriate to a horse that maintains it's weight

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Thankyou everyone, i'm going to print this off and take it into her, just the mention of insurance will prob scare her lol. I did call her last night and she totally understood and said she'll tell her i just hope she listens! I just wanted to vent and make sure i am right in venting and she is out of line.

I understand that people have routines but her mum doesn't work and she works shifts. Her mum somedays comes and gets them in and others doesn't bother. Its more the fact when she is there she does all her jobs first and leaves them out there as we are all trying to wave them away from the gate to get ours in :mad: really i just think the 2nd she walks on the yard she should get them out the field and tie them up on her tie rings.

apart from him the field is so chilled, everyone who visits comments, it's not ideal and i would NEVER EVER run my yard like that but unfortunatly that is the way it is and she won't change it :(

Thanks for the replies :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Agree - overstocked mixed herd on relatively limited land is asking for trouble.

However, this statement makes me want to bash my head of a brick wall. Honestly :confused: It gets straw and sugar beet and access to grazing (presumably in field) therefore why the devil would it be "starving" or unhappy about it?! If it's emaciated call WHW. If it isn't, as I expect since you don't mention it resembling a hatrack, maybe leave off criticising people's methods for keeping their horses from becoming obese :cool:

I'd like to add he gets fed nothing but straw and sugar beet occasionally so to be fair prob not the horses fault, hes just unhappy and starving poor thing!

0310Star

Visit site
Have to agree with the others, 35 horses in 25 acres is asking for trouble!!
The mixed herd part wouldn't concern me but that huge amount most definitely would.
I would speak to the yard owner and explain the ladies attitude to her and see what else YO can come up with!

guido16

Visit site
Agree - overstocked mixed herd on relatively limited land is asking for trouble.

However, this statement makes me want to bash my head of a brick wall. Honestly :confused: It gets straw and sugar beet and access to grazing (presumably in field) therefore why the devil would it be "starving" or unhappy about it?! If it's emaciated call WHW. If it isn't, as I expect since you don't mention it resembling a hatrack, maybe leave off criticising people's methods for keeping their horses from becoming obese :cool:

^^^^^^^^^^^
This...........

AdorableAlice

Visit site
35 horses on 25 acres,

The yard owner is hardly going to want to step in is she/he. If the 35 horses are paying £20.00 a week for DIY the yard owner is raking in £700 a week, thats £36,400 per annum. She/he isn't going to be worried about who is kicking the living daylights out of who with that sort of income coming in.

I am undecided whether the owners on this yard going to catch in a field of 35 are brave or daft ! I certainly couldn't cope with it from a safety point of view or finding the money to pay for never ending injuries to my horse.

Reading this post makes me realise that I and many others are very fortunate to be able to keep horses at home or in small caring yards.

Mypinkpony

Visit site

Its been discussed many times by many people of the yard about calling the WHW, they in my opinion are not abused they are just not fed correctly either, horses abused are emaciated, rotting feet and desperate for saving, these are not that. the WHW are spread thinly and i wouldn't waste their time on a case like this. They are underweight, they are friesians, big strong handsome magnificant animals, these are not, these are dull bony and dead eyes :( i HATE it when people have their horse obese so believe me when i tell you i totally understand what you are saying and it is not a case of this. :eek:

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I used to be on a yard where there was a 30+ mixed herd, turned out in quite a small area for the size of the herd imo, mine was at the bottom of the pecking order, so would stand right back and wait for me to clear the way, he would then come through to me knowing I would protect him and make a successful exit from the field.

Out of the 25 acres isn't there a field the trouble makers can be put in ? surely they don't let them roam the whole 25 acres at a time ?

Mypinkpony

Visit site
35 horses on 25 acres,

The yard owner is hardly going to want to step in is she/he. If the 35 horses are paying £20.00 a week for DIY the yard owner is raking in £700 a week, thats £36,400 per annum. She/he isn't going to be worried about who is kicking the living daylights out of who with that sort of income coming in.

I am undecided whether the owners on this yard going to catch in a field of 35 are brave or daft ! I certainly couldn't cope with it from a safety point of view or finding the money to pay for never ending injuries to my horse.

Reading this post makes me realise that I and many others are very fortunate to be able to keep horses at home or in small caring yards.

Ha ha try £36 a week DIY and thats the cheapest in the area, the yard owner spends from 7.30am-10am everyday there......I'll swop her for my life :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your YO needs to sort this out. No. 1 by having manageable herd sizes, and no. 2 by removing this horse from the field.

If and they won't - move.

Marydoll

Visit site
Your field is overstocked imo.
Speak to yo to fix this out before someones horse, or handler is seriously injured or killed. The yo if theyre providing livery has a duty of care to you and your horse. Personally i wouldnt have went there with that set up, and if it developed after my arrival i'd have hit the road running, the safety of my horses and myself are paramount.

Mypinkpony

Visit site
I think all the 'yardies' just need to push she has her own paddock..... this thread should help me, even if the YO doesn't care....she should read black and white...thanks guys :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
:eek:
They are underweight, they are friesians, big strong handsome magnificant animals, these are not, these are dull bony and dead eyes :( i HATE it when people have their horse obese so believe me when i tell you i totally understand what you are saying and it is not a case of this. :eek:

Again, your YO needs to deal with this.

Muppet yard, for muppet people by the sounds of it.......:eek:

JFTDWS

Visit site
They are underweight, they are friesians, big strong handsome magnificant animals, these are not, these are dull bony and dead eyes :(

Either they're underweight - condition score of below 2 - and a BHS welfare officer could advise the owner on improving their management, or they're ok weight (condition score 2-3) but lacking muscle due to lack of correct work, in which case they're not starving. Either way I don't agree with the use of "starving" for horses who are being fed regularly - they may be malnourished as the feed isn't keeping enough condition on, but in my opinion that is not the same as "starving".

mtj

Visit site
I'm happy to supply your YO with the details of my late Arab's fatal injuries from a similar situation (much smaller herd - but evil other mare).

To clarify, the injuries included a severed artery, so had the attack not been witnessed, my horse would have been found dead.

As the other horse has already been seen to injure others, your yard owner and the horse's owner could be found liable. Horses ARE subject to the Dangerous Animals Act.

Capriole

Visit site
I think all the 'yardies' just need to push she has her own paddock..... this thread should help me, even if the YO doesn't care....she should read black and white...thanks guys :D

be careful about showing her this thread, whether anyone here agrees with the YOs setup or not (which I dont fwiw) she might well take exception to some of the things youve said and show you the door instead.

Id have a word and explain the problems again, and if things dont change...move.

Mypinkpony

Visit site
Either they're underweight - condition score of below 2 - and a BHS welfare officer could advise the owner on improving their management, or they're ok weight (condition score 2-3) but lacking muscle due to lack of correct work, in which case they're not starving. Either way I don't agree with the use of "starving" for horses who are being fed regularly - they may be malnourished as the feed isn't keeping enough condition on, but in my opinion that is not the same as "starving".

Sorry its just my wording, im angry still, :mad:

Your right, they are slightly underweight and defo lacking condition, always searching for food but have a straw bed (someone just told me they don't have sugar beet anymore, my mistake) of which they can eat so not starving.... Better explained?:eek:

Mypinkpony

Visit site
I'm happy to supply your YO with the details of my late Arab's fatal injuries from a similar situation (much smaller herd - but evil other mare).

To clarify, the injuries included a severed artery, so had the attack not been witnessed, my horse would have been found dead.

As the other horse has already been seen to injure others, your yard owner and the horse's owner could be found liable. Horses ARE subject to the Dangerous Animals Act.

Im so sorry to hear that about your horse, it was a 5 year old arab mare that i was bringing in yetserday. :-(

OWLIE185

Visit site
This horse is clearly capable of damaging other horses and people so I very much hope at the very least that it does not have any rear shoes on.

Your yard owner does have a duty of care to both the liveries and horses.

I would ask the yard owner (with the support of all the other liveries) to provide this horse with an individual paddock where it can do no harm to you or your horses.

The last think anyone wants is a seriously injured person or horse.

(Also make sure that the horses owner has got third party public liability insurance to no less than £10,000,00) (Ten million pounds) so rthat if there is an accident they have sufficient cover. Not all insurand policies provide cover to this level.

Last edited: