Horse prejudice.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but what does "common" mean? Is it a British thing?

Remember common also has a classist derogatory meaning in the UK Someone could be described as being "a bit common" meaning rough or lacking in taste, manners and breeding. Same with horses, a lady or gentleman would have a refined hack or blood horse; a large head or hairy legs would suggest lack of breeding and not suitable to be seen riding.

Visit site
I've given up having preferences with horses these days, I've enjoyed (and not enjoyed) riding and caring for so many different types over the years.

I didn't used to like spotty horses, and certainly not greys....and what do I own now? A spotty and a grey 🤔

I LOVE a good grey! I don't go in for the keeping them religiously clean, I'm more of a clean it when it needs it kind of person 🤣 but there's never a better site than a sparklingly clean grey! I would love to have another grey shetland but some of the ones in Britain are so inbred I wouldn't touch them. The ones I do like are in Denmark and Brexit has made it far far too expensive to import one now.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I LOVE a good grey! I don't go in for the keeping them religiously clean, I'm more of a clean it when it needs it kind of person 🤣 but there's never a better site than a sparklingly clean grey! I would love to have another grey shetland but some of the ones in Britain are so inbred I wouldn't touch them. The ones I do like are in Denmark and Brexit has made it far far too expensive to import one now.
Crikey, cleaning up a grey Shetland must be a mission! Your back must be made of stern stuff...I used to admire how clean you always managed to get the wee coloured job for his outings.

Fortunately my grey is becoming fleabitten as fast as she is greying out

Visit site
Crikey, cleaning up a grey Shetland must be a mission! Your back must be made of stern stuff...I used to admire how clean you always managed to get the wee coloured job for his outings.

Fortunately my grey is becoming fleabitten as fast as she is greying out

A grey is easier than a coloured! If it looks yellow it looks the same colour all over. If a white bit on a coloured looks yellow it looks 5x as bad next to the brown or black patches 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't like fleabitten greys 🙈 they end up looking spotted 🤢🙈🤣🤣🤣

abbijay

Visit site
I haven't read all of these but having had clydesdales for 14 years I could (literally) write a book on this topic in all it's forms!
My favourite 2 come from my first one day event back in 2010 with my first clydesdale:
To a steward I know, "Is that a SHIRE doing a dressage test?" "Actually that's a clydesdale, and he's doing the whole event!"
And as I rode toward the show jumping I overheard a pair of young teenagers, "oh my god, let's go and watch *that* jumping, it'll be hilarious". Overheard the same pair after we jumped a very nice clear, "it's so unfair letting a horse *that* big in the starters" (starters was 70cm).
If I had a pound for every time I've had a snide comment about my beloved cart horses I probably could buy a very nice saddle, if not a new horse! Thankfully if i also got a pound for every time I have had a passing compliment about my horses I would probably have twice as much money! I am now old enough that I couldn't give a flying fig about the haters but I embrace every compliment!

paddy555

Visit site
I haven't read all of these but having had clydesdales for 14 years I could (literally) write a book on this topic in all it's forms!
My favourite 2 come from my first one day event back in 2010 with my first clydesdale:
To a steward I know, "Is that a SHIRE doing a dressage test?" "Actually that's a clydesdale, and he's doing the whole event!"
And as I rode toward the show jumping I overheard a pair of young teenagers, "oh my god, let's go and watch *that* jumping, it'll be hilarious". Overheard the same pair after we jumped a very nice clear, "it's so unfair letting a horse *that* big in the starters" (starters was 70cm).
If I had a pound for every time I've had a snide comment about my beloved cart horses I probably could buy a very nice saddle, if not a new horse! Thankfully if i also got a pound for every time I have had a passing compliment about my horses I would probably have twice as much money! I am now old enough that I couldn't give a flying fig about the haters but I embrace every compliment!
how interesting. Don't suppose you have any pics? Would love to see your horses competing.

The recently closed Adventure clydesdale centre was close to us and it was like the earth moved when the ride came down past us.

toppedoff

Visit site
i absolutely adore Clydesdales, id love to get one (theres on on dragons driving who would suit me very well!!) itll be great to see more out and about competing

abbijay

Visit site
how interesting. Don't suppose you have any pics? Would love to see your horses competing.

The recently closed Adventure clydesdale centre was close to us and it was like the earth moved when the ride came down past us.
Any pictures... only several thousands...
This is the day i mentioned (turns out it was 2011, not 2010!) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.179615252099054&type=3
And this was a hunter trial i did with him https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.219171864810059&type=3
There are loads of pictures and videos on my "horse" fb profile https://www.facebook.com/ArclidAlfie/ and more recent ones on my "page" https://www.facebook.com/dressageclydesdale
Over the years we have had a go at most things you can think of! Definitely a point in principle for those who have equestrian prejudices!

suestowford

Visit site
A few pages back there was a pic from the USA about 'Gypsy vanners'. That made me laugh a bit, as it referred to them as 'purebred gypsy vanners'. I mean, there could be anything in the background of a coloured cob, I can't see how they can be purebred anything.

I too have had the 'carthorse' comment while out riding a Fell.

I think it was Birker who said they'd never have a brown car. My car is brown and although I rarely clean it, it doesn't show the dirt much at all. I wasn't sure at first but now I like it :)

Boulty

Visit site
I don’t think either the current pony nor the previous one did anything to dispel any prejudices against their breeds! The chestnut Welsh was absolutely everything you’d expect in terms of being an idiotic spooking, snorting dragon. The Highland puts in no more effort than is required into any activity that isn’t eating (or being a thug) & is described as slovenly by my instructor (who loves him really). He also thinks he is in fact a dog which seems to be another breed trait.

smolmaus

Visit site
A few pages back there was a pic from the USA about 'Gypsy vanners'. That made me laugh a bit, as it referred to them as 'purebred gypsy vanners'. I mean, there could be anything in the background of a coloured cob, I can't see how they can be purebred anything.

I too have had the 'carthorse' comment while out riding a Fell.
This is something I have been vaguely thinking about if I want to show my little rescue cob. Obviously she has no recorded breeding but I think you can get a passport from TGCA based on breed standard? And then Google ads kept showing me DNA testing!

If my girl has sweet itch would it mean she won't pass a breed standard inspection with half a mane? 😂

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
A grey is easier than a coloured! If it looks yellow it looks the same colour all over. If a white bit on a coloured looks yellow it looks 5x as bad next to the brown or black patches 🤣🤣🤣🤣

When I had my first pony who was coloured and more white than bay, it was in Devon where there's red clay soil. They were permanently stained orange and it looked worse on the coloureds. A lot of greys still have a little colour and that bluish tinge looks OK once you get the stains out whereas mine was actually white or not.

Ratface

Visit site
And as for Arabians not being able to jump - I'll have you know that my now-retired purebred Arabian won a showjumping class at HOYS prior to my buying him, and my late purebred Crabbet gelding won a showjumping class with me at a local riding school event!
Both were rather "opinionated" about which way to go and how fast they could get round, but they would happily rattle up to anything I put them to and scramble/soar over it.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I was dressage writing for the PSG class of a CDI when a PRE came in. The judge turned to me and said "urgh, they should just stick to fiestas and tricks, they're not for dressage". Me then having to point out how I have PREs...

I find that a lot of the prejudice from PREs has been due to a lot of very low quality ones being imported and then being ridden badly so everyone thinks they're terrible sewing machine.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was dressage writing for the PSG class of a CDI when a PRE came in. The judge turned to me and said "urgh, they should just stick to fiestas and tricks, they're not for dressage". Me then having to point out how I have PREs...

I find that a lot of the prejudice from PREs has been due to a lot of very low quality ones being imported and then being ridden badly so everyone thinks they're terrible sewing machine.

My instructor told they are all lame!

nagblagger

Visit site
And as for Arabians not being able to jump - I'll have you know that my now-retired purebred Arabian won a showjumping class at HOYS prior to my buying him, and my late purebred Crabbet gelding won a showjumping class with me at a local riding school event!
Both were rather "opinionated" about which way to go and how fast they could get round, but they would happily rattle up to anything I put them to and scramble/soar over it.
This reminded me of my arab who won a 'chase me charlie' from a trot, i was wimping out and wanted a refusal as it looked huge, but he took control and soared over it - i was just the passenger!

equinerebel

Visit site

This is so true! My piebalds best friend is a grey. They can both be equally disgusting, but mine will always look 100% worse!

cauda equina

Visit site
And I read somewhere that Shifari ran in point to points!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I used an Anglo-Arab stallion on my mares back in the early 70's, he was by Hassani of Fairfield who was a show jumping Arab and out of a TB mare. He was called Ombre Solaire and later went on to compete in Arab racing. When we first went to view him I was offered a ride on him but couldn't as I was in sandals (infected toenails) so my sister got the ride. She got off looking as though she was in heaven. He was a lovely horse and I had 3 super foals by him. I only stopped using him because I got my own stallion.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Horse prejudice is a thing, for sure. It even crosses over to competing. A friend who was writing at a dressage comp told me that a judge said, "Baroque horses have no place in this sport" and it wasn't the first time I heard that. FWIW the judge gave us a score of 65% (a PRE, of course) but had no comments on the sheet so 🤷🏼‍♀️ weird.

I, of course, prefer Iberians, but really I'm fairly open to most horses that are well out together for the job. I need a sharp, sensitive, intelligent, and somewhat hot horse in order to get along with it well enough. That's just my type, and generally my type is too sensitive for most people, but that's fine. Generally I won't buy a gray, but I'm also open to if everything else is perfect, I might buy a gray!

Very slim chance of me ever owning another Warmblood though!

paddy555

Visit site
Any pictures... only several thousands...
This is the day i mentioned (turns out it was 2011, not 2010!) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.179615252099054&type=3
And this was a hunter trial i did with him https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.219171864810059&type=3
There are loads of pictures and videos on my "horse" fb profile https://www.facebook.com/ArclidAlfie/ and more recent ones on my "page" https://www.facebook.com/dressageclydesdale
Over the years we have had a go at most things you can think of! Definitely a point in principle for those who have equestrian prejudices!
what an amazing set of pics, thanks so much for the links. Love them. Totally magnificent and so nicely turned out. :D:D

paddy555

Visit site
I used an Anglo-Arab stallion on my mares back in the early 70's, he was by Hassani of Fairfield who was a show jumping Arab and out of a TB mare. He was called Ombre Solaire and later went on to compete in Arab racing. When we first went to view him I was offered a ride on him but couldn't as I was in sandals (infected toenails) so my sister got the ride. She got off looking as though she was in heaven. He was a lovely horse and I had 3 super foals by him. I only stopped using him because I got my own stallion.
I remember both Hassani and Ombre Solaire. :D