Horse prejudice.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Personally I'm not a fan of anything with blue or wall eyes or anything with pink skin or spotted skin (don't know how best to describe it) around the eyes. Everything else I'm pretty happy to look at. I'm more a stickler for good conformation. My dad taught me as a child to look past markings on any horse to see good confirmation while I stewarded for him. I learnt so much in the middle of the ring.

Dad helped Gordon establish CHAPS, then did a stint with piebald and shewbald society before sitting on the judging panel for the appoloosa society. He was an established welsh breeder but saw the potential for coloureds to have a place on showgrounds when there weren't any. Dad was afirm believer in grading stallions and sat on the stallion grading panels for these societies for a while (possibly not the appoolosa society). He was incredibly proud to be the first to judge coloured classes at the royal welsh, bath and west and a few other large shows, he went on to judge at olympia (twice I believe). But you wouldn't believe the prejudice among the judges in the judges tent once they knew what he was there to judge. We would often sit alone for lunch as we were classed as part of the 'cattle section' at times. Good job dad was thick skinned! I'm incredibly proud of what dad acheived.

That said, I only own welsh ponies/cobs and doubt I would ever have a coloured by choice unless it was (in my eyes) outstanding.

dorsetladette

Visit site
See, some of us oldies on here can remember it being unheard of to see a "coloured" horse out hunting; back then the gypsy cobs' place was towing a cart or on a "site" somewhere.

Thank goodness things have changed!

Also a little bit naughty. Dad had a 'chestnut and white' cob which he used to die 'chestnut' and show as a welsh cob. It did very well until one day it rained!

ETA - this was a LONG time before CHAPS was established and as I stated above was a bit 'naughty' but I'm sure others have done much worse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Years ago I was stewarding at a BE event where one of the sections was won by a coloured pony who had been found tethered by the A12
eta that was maybe 20 years ago, so not such a distant past as I guess MiJods is referring to

First time through I read that as it had been found tethered by the A12 that morning 🤣

scats

Visit site
My friend got a coloured cob when we were growing up and he was known as the ‘cow pony’ and the only one on the yard at the time. He was absolutely ace but you just didn’t see many around.

I have no interest in warmbloods, but I love TBs. I wouldn’t choose a coloured cob but one of the best ponies I’ve ever had was a coloured cob x Welsh.

Annagain

Visit site
It's all so personal and there's nothing wrong with a preference, after all the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing, but that doesn't mean we have to be disparaging about other types. Some of my preference is very practical some is very arbitrary and some is neither but just about the way I feel.
I like a large, well-built gelding, mainly as it's a necessity for me as I'm well built myself but don't mind whether that's a hunter type or a cob type as long as it can carry me comfortably. There are TBs who would carry me but I just don't feel right on them - I always feel like I'm perched on a bar stool when I'd like to be sitting in an armchair.
I also like him to have as little white as possible. This is partly a practical thing (after 4 greys I'm done scrubbing and definitely done with melanomas) and partly an arbitrary aesthetic thing (I don't love coloureds with more white than colour but am very fond of a mostly brown or black one. That doesn't really make much sense but there we go!).

When it comes to finding the right horse though, I really don't care about breeding, colour or looks, temperament is all. He could be pink with purple spots and half orangutan for all I care as long as he's healthy, safe, kind and willing and I feel like we click.

P.S.My black section D was the least "typical Welsh" D you could get. In 14 years I don't remember one spook. He was feisty and stubborn and stupidly excitable but also fiercely loyal, talented and genuine. I just don't recognise the picture that many people paint of Welshies. Silly but safe was the way I always described him - he was huge fun and I still miss him nearly 20 years on.

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I think there is personal preference which we all have for various reasons, mainly that certain breed characteristics would make that horse less suitable for why we want a horse and then there is blanket prejudice against a breed, type or colour. I'm maybe not explaining it well but I wouldn't buy a 16.2 warmblood as at 5'4" and for what I do it wouldn't be the best fit but it doesn't mean that I can't admire them or that I have any prejudice against them as a breed.

That said when looking for last horse on my definitely don't want, or particularly like list was no more coloured cobs, don't like big white faces, don't like hair or feather and would never buy anything with a white tail, guess what I bought 🤣 and he was trimmed and legs clipped and I grew them out! And I adore him.

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
I mean I was a bit insulted when someone called my fell pony a cob 😅
Ha ha! I remember years ago a judge asking why I was in a M&M class with my friesian... Umm it was a pure registered Welsh Sec D! I was horrified and deeply offended. Not because I have anything against friesians, but just couldnt believe a showing judge couldnt even tell the difference!

Generally though I think its just personal preference, everyone has types / breeds they favour and ones they dont. Personally I dont look down on any types, but I wouldnt choose a heavy type as I prefer sportier ones. Simply opinion. The horse world is full of prejudice!

marmalade76

Visit site
Preference is not the same as prejudice, though, I have lots of preferences when looking to buy, mostly dictated by wanting an easy life so no greys/lots of white, no heavy feather; I like them small & hardy so they're cheaper to feed, have better feet, quicker to groom and clip and will fit in my trailer. I love big horses, I generally find them much nicer to ride than small ones, I just don't want to have to look after one and pay it's feed bills. Being a small person gives me more choise which is helpful.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I won't have another grey just because they take something cleaning. I'm not a fan of cobs generally for their looks but that's just my preference- now and then I see one I love. I've no issues in getting on on at the riding school. They did have one if she was bigger and I was looking I'd have bought her. I just sat on her and knew I'd love her.

The adult on ponies stigma seems to have vanished and is the trend. So many people reverting from horses to Highlands in my area.

Highland ponies - ideal or beginners, lazy. A lot are being bred now to be sporty and it depends on how much my mare is workedthe days prior as to whether I'd put a beginner on although that's less as she gets older. Wouldn't let a beginner hack her though without assistance on the ground.

Arabs - can't jump and are flighty. I've known one that couldn't work her legs ut to jump. I've got Tal who I'm very much hoping will be a Riding Club horse.
My frien d kept asking why I want an Arab, they look ugly, they're flighty. My boy stepped off the box, out to the field and quietly grazed. - Next day an Arab was for sale and she was tempted.

Friend has a standardbred and kept trying to persuade me to get one. They're lovely, I ride hers happily but again it's just not what I was looking for - likely because my heart was set on an Arab.
If I could afford them I'd have loads of different breeds.

The amount of times I hear never get a mare or I wouldn't have a mare. Ugh, I love my mares.

I bought my Highland mare 15 years ago and before she even stepped off the trailer the yard asked if I bought her as a project to sell. No, I loved her. That was my first glimpse of adults shouldn't have ponies prejudice and yet this was a riding school and what were one of the breeds they had for adults? Highland. Over the years loads of people have commented as shows how much fun I look like I'm having on my litte try her hoof at anything pony.
I've converted a few non Arab people over the years especially when Arabi was young and was kept at livery, so many people changed their views on them once they got to know him, everyone at the vets loves him the vet nurses used to fight over who looked after him.

fetlock

Visit site
I don’t care for anything with feathers (natives aside), with a common head, poor conformation and movement. More so if coloured too, and these types predominantly are coloured these days. The fields and hacking routes are teeming with them round here, and nothing else. The attraction of showing traditionals too I just don’t get. They just have me itching to take all that hair off and see what’s underneath.

Am I prejudiced or is it preference? Not sure, maybe both but I do like a nicely put together quality cob (not the grotesquely overweight ones masquerading as cobs in the show ring in recent years - a proper cob) and likewise, don’t mind coloureds if they’re quality enough for plaited classes.

But hairy + common isn’t for me, though age and portly physique myself these days is probably what I would need, were I to start riding again.

Hackback

Visit site
my welsh d mare is 50% arab - i actually think the arab blood is what has given her a more sensible brain! 😂 she’s really lovely now she fully trusts me - but boy, gaining that trust was much harder than gaining trust from the fuller arab blood gelding.

I never knew about arab prejudice - until a local unknown to me horse-person invited themselves to my home yard and asked if i was a snob!!! 🤣😂 At the time i had no idea where that comment came from, as especially at the time was living a notch-up from camping on this land, and i hardly look ‘posh’ - so it was a weird left-field comment i scoffed at, thinking she was weird!

The online world of horses revealed the arabian horse attitudes. I ended up with arabs accidentally…i wanted a cob! Haw haw! A plodding cob…..but a pregnant mare had no grass, was very local.…i had grass and love horses. I just love arabs now…so in love with their idiosyncrasies.
Their reputation isnt accurate, mine are really relatively chilled-out…just give them freedom to be horses and they thrive. The ones in egypt kept in stables 24/7 that are maniacal is what any breed kept in that way would behave like.

I adore all breeds…if its equine i love it 😍
I went to the beach with a friend - me on my Arab and her on her Section D. Unfortunately we picked a really busy day and the area closest to the car park was full of wind surfers, things getting pulled along in the sea with a mini parachute and the ones with a sail that go on the sand.

Of course both horses were horrified, so we made our way down the beach away from the noisy flappy things. The further away we got the more my Arab relaxed, but the Welshie couldn't let it go, oh no. He couldn't focus on anything other than the very distant activity. Friend was containing him but not enjoying her ride at all so we ended up coming home (and untacking back at the wagon is another story 😂 ). So dramatic - Arab was positively sane in comparison.

Caol Ila

Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but what does "common" mean? Is it a British thing?

What's the opposite of "common?" Rare? A Highland is a rare breed but a TB is common. Somehow, I don't think this is what you mean!

I think this thread is conflating preference with prejudice and stereotyping. But I guess we all do that in our heads, even when we think we're not. Most people have types of horse that they prefer, or ones they don't. To use the above two breeds, a broad stereotype would be "Highlands are slow and stubborn" and "TBs are nuts." But you can prefer Highlands over TBs because you like your horses small, cute, fluffy, and hardy. Or you can prefer TBs over Highlands because you like your horses sharp, fast, and very athletic.

marmalade76

Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but what does "common" mean? Is it a British thing?

What's the opposite of "common?" Rare? A Highland is a rare breed but a TB is common. Somehow, I don't think this is what you mean!

I think this thread is conflating preference with prejudice and stereotyping. But I guess we all do that in our heads, even when we think we're not. Most people have types of horse that they prefer, or ones they don't. To use the above two breeds, a broad stereotype would be "Highlands are slow and stubborn" and "TBs are nuts." But you can prefer Highlands over TBs because you like your horses small, cute, fluffy, and hardy. Or you can prefer TBs over Highlands because you like your horses sharp, fast, and very athletic.

It's a term more commonly used years ago, it means plain, working horse/cart horse.

paddy555

Visit site

common is more of a derogatory term in "hairy and common" not very special, (except of course to it's owner)

or like me, who obviously couldn't make my mind up you could have a TB highland cross. With that you get the stubborn part of the highland carried out at the sharp and athletic speed of the TB. So the benefits of 2 breeds in one (or not at the case me be :D:D:D)

Caol Ila

Visit site
common is more of a derogatory term in "hairy and common" not very special, (except of course to it's owner)

or like me, who obviously couldn't make my mind up you could have a TB highland cross. With that you get the stubborn part of the highland carried out at the sharp and athletic speed of the TB. So the benefits of 2 breeds in one (or not at the case me be :D:D:D)

I've occasionally wondered what a Highland-PRE cross would be like.

paddy555

Visit site
This comes from seeing the pictures of Tennesse Walking Horses with their stacked shoes and 2 year olds being ridden by heavy men and the peculiar Big Lick.

People think that all gaited horses are the same, and I have been thrown off a discussion group for defending gaited horses.

Of course, what most people don't realise is that Gaited horses were highly thought of. There are several different names, with some doing The Rack, which looks like a Spanish trot. Amblers, with their pacing trot were common back in the days of horseback travel, when they could cover many miles easily and comfortably for the riders. Most of the gaited breeds went to the New World, where they continued to breed them, but as carriage travel took over in Europe, the trotters took over, racehorses and even dressage horses.

Several breeds are naturally gaited including the Icelandic, as well as the american breeds.
To a point but when they see one gaiting towards them barefoot they still seem prejudiced. I rode Peruvians for several years. One was an ex stud stallion. He was magnificent yet no one seemed to even notice let alone be interested.

paddy555

Visit site
'Plain' in terms of what? Colour? Conformation?
we use the phrase "common or garden" and below is a definition of it.

You can use common-or-garden to describe something you think is ordinary and not special in any way. [mainly British]. It's not just a common-or-garden phone!

so any colour, conformation good or bad but not a special show quality animal.

Visit site
'Plain' in terms of what? Colour? Conformation?

Plain and common is more in reference to build and head shape. In yesteryear ladies and gentle rode fine, dainty, pretty horses. Small, neat heads, toe flicking movement etc - basically the Show Hacks and Riding Horses of today.

To be plain and common was a derogatory term used to describe the commoners work animals - the rough headed cobs that pulled the milk dray or did the logging etc. They were not pretty animals they were working class animals.

These days you would say a cob had a common head, possibly/probably roman nosed. A hunter or warmblood with a big head on its shoulder, no real refinement or glamour to it would be deemed plain.