Horse prices

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
Apologies, I didn't mean to sound judgemental about what you need.

I think anything with Connemara in it seems to be pricier. Have you thought about a Welsh Section D? Some of these are super sporty and will do the job you're after. You will definitely find one for less than £10,000. A reputable showing yard are selling a HOYS quality Section D mare for £9,500.
No worries! Didn’t think you were haha, yes I have looked into Welsh Ds but I’d ideally like something 15.3+ and most Welsh Ds I come across seem to be 14.2-15hh which as someone who is 5ft8 I feel a bit out of place on

AntiPuck

Visit site
this is what confuses me too… where did all these people with five figure budgets come from… why’d they all suddenly want horses now

I think that a lot of people are/were in a similar situation to myself, wherby they did have the money pre-covid (or they saved it over covid due to not going anywhere) but they didn't have the time or right living situation. Obviously covid allowed a lot of people to move out of cities etc. so it made horse ownership suddenly possible for those people.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
horses just seem like a constant loosing battle lol
well that bit is certainly true!

Lots of people did seem to save ££ during lockdowns etc. my expenses all stayed the same as i am home based anyway and have no life outside the horses. My last remaining rideable horse retired and I'm permanently priced out now the market has gone bonkers so i have hopefully just sourced a nice loan horse that will tide me over. Have you considered that? especially if you're able and willing to bring something on, there might be something out there that would be suitable.

SEL

Visit site
I've seen one recently mid 4 figures for a horse that has bolted in the past - so experienced riders only. In the past that would have been a couple of hundred as a project horse.

I think if you want native X TB then you might even be looking at more of a premium. Connemara seems to be commanding a premium.

Depressing for those of us who just want something sane and sound.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
£10k a year to get to 9? So would she be worth £90k? Being honest I never understood how breeders did afford it before! But I also don’t understand where all these rich horsey folk with money suddenly came from, as I’d say the large majority of people can’t afford five figures… seems like a constant loosing battle of high cost of breeding that barely makes any money and high cost of buying that most can’t afford… horses just seem like a constant loosing battle lol

this is a professional producer - it wouldn't have been bought if it was just an average horse. As I said in my post international prospect. 5 year old eventers are going for £300k if they look exciting. 3yos were going for £50k at the big auctions.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Something sound and with fair confirmation, I don’t particularly care about breeding/ proven lines either, I also don’t think I need a big fancy warmblood either, would consider a cob x tb or like I say Welsh x Connie at my yard that I’m thinking of offering for, but I can seem to find any like this for under £10k?
Look at Quantock Hill Ponies - they are surprisingly sporty as usually native crossed with arab or trake. Being near the quantocks a lot of friends have them and they are nice. Around 15.2hh. One person I know has just gone GP on their Quantock Hill Pony.

Patterdale

Visit site
Look at Standardbreds or standie cross. They are usually around £2-4k even in this market, and they are just the most fantastic, under rated horses. They are tough, sound, cheap to keep and usually reasonably level headed, often with the best of proper Irish breeding.
Mine has previously driven, but is now jumping well. He’s brave as a lion, forward, does everything asked with a smile on his face, and he was cheap as chips.

Definitely worth considering.

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
this is a professional producer - it wouldn't have been bought if it was just an average horse. As I said in my post international prospect. 5 year old eventers are going for £300k if they look exciting. 3yos were going for £50k at the big auctions.

fair enough but I just want a nice little allrounder, how much does it cost to raise a horse with no competitions record till 4? Genuinely curious as if I can’t find a horse I may just consider breeding my own lol
But thank you! I will look into Quantock Hill Ponies

teddy_

Visit site
fair enough but I just want a nice little allrounder, how much does it cost to raise a horse with no competitions record till 4? Genuinely curious as if I can’t find a horse I may just consider breeding my own lol
I think this massively depends on set up and resource. There probably is no accurate approximation.

I was based on stud farm who's annual crop is between four and eight. Their overheads are low as they have their own stallions and they have ample acreage. The owner says about £1.5k per annum for trimming and forage for youngstock.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it'll cost a few grand in hay and feed alone, vaccinations, farrier visits, any other vet care that is needed, however much the stud fee was plus, say £1k vet fees to get in foal and do care of in-foal mare (VERY best case scenario) and that's assuming the breeder owns the land and isn't forking out rent or livery.

I'm breeding my own going forward because it's an easy way to spread the costs, my hay is done at cost price by my husband and he is a farrier plus we have fields to run them on. absolute shoestring... still works out a fair whack.

chaps89

Visit site
the horse world is so diverse though. i think there are a lot of people who scratch along keeping their horses with any spare pennies they have. and others have thousands a month to throw at their hobby. up to now it's been fairly possible to do either of those things. i expect the scratcher-alongers might start to struggle more and more now. but there has always been a bargain bin end of the market as well as the top end and that will probably continue for as long as there are bargain bin types of horses.

I honestly can’t find bargain bin end anymore. I’ve been keeping an eye out but the coloured cob green as grass that used to be ten a penny and around £1-2.5k are still sitting around £3-4k and up.
Very average horses with health issues (anything from hocks, metabolic, kissing spine and more) are still £1k +

In theory I have the budget to buy something half decent but I personally won’t sink that much money into something that will inevitably lead to vet bills and heartache. Seems my cut off limit of money I could write off as lost is a couple of grand max, that limit will be different for everyone else of course! And for me it’s tarnished by my last one being a walking vet bill which is why I’m cautious.
So I am minus a ridden horse right now.
Thankfully given as I don’t know what I’d want next (do I want to find a schoolmaster ready to drop down the levels or a 3 year old to back and bring on or something in the middle?!) and have a couple to ride I’m embracing a healthier bank balance and my gym membership for now!

Curiously when I was looking last night, I felt amateur performance/more competitive horses didn’t seem to have increased in price so much (the £10-25k bracket)?Although I admit I’m less familiar with that market.

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I honestly can’t find bargain bin end anymore. I’ve been keeping an eye out but the coloured cob green as grass that used to be ten a penny and around £1-2.5k are still sitting around £3-4k and up.
Very average horses with health issues (anything from hocks, metabolic, kissing spine and more) are still £1k +

In theory I have the budget to buy something half decent but I personally won’t sink that much money into something that will inevitably lead to vet bills and heartache. Seems my cut off limit of money I could write off as lost is a couple of grand max, that limit will be different for everyone else of course! And for me it’s tarnished by my last one being a walking vet bill which is why I’m cautious.
So I am minus a ridden horse right now.
Thankfully given as I don’t know what I’d want next (do I want to find a schoolmaster ready to drop down the levels or a 3 year old to back and bring on or something in the middle?!) and have a couple to ride I’m embracing a healthier bank balance and my gym membership for now!

Curiously when I was looking last night, I felt amateur performance/more competitive horses didn’t seem to have increased in price so much (the £10-25k bracket)?Although I admit I’m less familiar with that market.
I would say that the comp horses are up

2019/2020 RC all rounder you in the 6/8k something nice
2022 - 15k is a budget to find a comp all rounder

BE100 horses are at 25k and certainly many are more at what would have been 15k

Not saying this is wrong. I would say are less about at the good end of the non pro competitive market which is also prob keeping price high

scruffyponies

Visit site
We have just lived through a period of unprecedented 'free money' being pumped into the economy. Lots of people have bought into horses with their furlough cash and lockdown time. It has also been the kindest winter for horse owning I can ever rememer. It won't last. Inflation, energy prices and the odd vet bill will soon inject a bit of reality. Right now the same people who bought 10k horses are considering if they are prepared to give up their foreign holidays (remember them?) for good to feed it, and run the gas guzzling 4x4 to tow it.

When there are more sellers than buyers, those with money worries and horses at livery will only hold their idea of getting back what they paid for so long.

Melody Grey

Visit site
No worries! Didn’t think you were haha, yes I have looked into Welsh Ds but I’d ideally like something 15.3+ and most Welsh Ds I come across seem to be 14.2-15hh which as someone who is 5ft8 I feel a bit out of place on
I’m a fraction shorter than you at 5ft 6 or 7 and have a 15hh Welsh x (in profile pic) who is a pocket rocket.....so try it, you might like it.
....but be warned most Welsh/ Welsh x are at least 50% idiot!?

scruffyponies

Visit site
I have looked into Welsh Ds but I’d ideally like something 15.3+ and most Welsh Ds I come across seem to be 14.2-15hh which as someone who is 5ft8 I feel a bit out of place on

You might be surprised how they take up the leg. I wouldn't have thought your height would be an issue.
There are also a fair few about which are bigger. My friend's D is 15.3hh. Mine is 15.1.

teddy_

Visit site
You might be surprised how they take up the leg. I wouldn't have thought your height would be an issue.
There are also a fair few about which are bigger. My friend's D is 15.3hh. Mine is 15.1.
I was just typing this!

I was going to say that a well muscled, 15hh Welsh Section D will be more horse than a taller Connemara x Thoroughbred type, in terms of substance.

IME, they have the athleticism of some much sportier types. I have seen D's flying over the biggest lines of hedges.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Something sound and with fair confirmation, I don’t particularly care about breeding/ proven lines either, I also don’t think I need a big fancy warmblood either, would consider a cob x tb or like I say Welsh x Connie at my yard that I’m thinking of offering for, but I can seem to find any like this for under £10k?

I get what you are after, it is what I was after.

I didn't care about breeding, but wanted sound, sane, good looking, as in a leg at each corner, straight moving, fair conformation. Enough engine to do grassroots BE and enough quality to do BD and feel nice (as in not stuffy or stiff). Enough common sense to be a nice hack and simply fun.

Last year, I couldn't find one for love nor money. I am of an age that I decided, heck with the budget, I will up mine to get what I want, and still couldn't source one. I originally intended to budget to 15K, then went to 18, 20 and was even starting to look at up to 25K. If ever I saw one, it was gone before I could get in the car and get there.

In the end I bought a 4yo, unseen from Ireland. He was a gamble, but was a shade under 10k. He was/is green, doesn't have any notable breeding, sire is ID, dam unknown breeding (but looks like it would be a connie). He is everything I wished for (apart from being grey LOL) but I had to gamble to get him.

It wasn't just that prices were silly, it was that you couldn't scramble to get to actually view!

Polos Mum

Visit site
OP it might be worth looking at the charities that loan out ridden horse - especially if you are near and can call in for a chat rather than just fill in online forms (which they get 100's of)

The one below is way too small for you but I know they have larger horses out on loan - they aren't all rescue cases, some are born there and have had first class care their whole lives, others are gifted (with a hefty donation) when people die so they take on really nice horses - clearly those never get as far as being advertised!

This one would do a lovely job for someone and these guys are a great charity to deal with.

https://bransbyhorses.co.uk/welfare/rehoming/horse/alfie-2/

I can't see prices coming down in the short term so maybe outside the box thinking

sport horse

Visit site

Please do look into breeding your own. When you have done it please put the figure you come up with on here.
Please also bear in mind you may not end up with what you want - nothing is a given in breeding.
Please also consider that your mare and foal may die during birth - it happens not infrequently.
Your foal will be on a death wish from the minute it is conceived.
It will be 5 years from the beginning until you have a four year old ready to break. Can you break and produce it yourself or will you need to buy in help?
Will you be able to start it from the beginning in competitions or will you need to pay someone else - and by the way all the entry fees and travel producing that nice safe hack, all rounder to compete up to BE 100 cost - a lot!

Horse prices have gone up because they have been too cheap for too long so many breeders have stopped breeding and that goes right across Europe (Ireland IS in Europe!)
Remember the old horse saying 'It costs the same to keep a good horse as a bad one'. Save up and buy the best you can afford. Livery is very expensive so do without a horse for a bit and put the savings towards your next horse. If you are honest with how much you spend on keep, vets, insurance, livery rugs, travel, entry fees and that blingy browband your savings may grow faster than you think!!!

honetpot

Visit site
I have a connemara x cob out on loan. I tried to sell him just backed, he was very straight forward, but no one wanted to put the work in. So he sat in the field for four years, until someone thought it was worth their time putting the effort in. I often wonder if I had asked twice the price, if he would have sold, now the money is immaterial.

windand rain

Visit site
Having spent £210 on routine pre backing checks in a week I really do know how much just extras cost. My last foal is rising 13 now (god how time flies) She cost me £3500 by the time she was 24 hours old, Paid me back a thousand times in fun and enjoyment but not a penny in money. By the time she left me she had cost in the region of £10,000 and I gave her to her rider who loved her and was the best rider/home for her. I would hope prices had gone up in 13 years for getting them on the floor so even at those costs breeders will make nothing or pennies so must do it for love. Haven't done it since as 1) couldn't afford to and 2) have not got the facilities now. Buying young might get you what you want but even then it is a risk. Made horses are always more expensive but depending on who made them can be wonderful or awful.

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
Please do look into breeding your own. When you have done it please put the figure you come up with on here.
Please also bear in mind you may not end up with what you want - nothing is a given in breeding.
Please also consider that your mare and foal may die during birth - it happens not infrequently.
Your foal will be on a death wish from the minute it is conceived.
It will be 5 years from the beginning until you have a four year old ready to break. Can you break and produce it yourself or will you need to buy in help?
Will you be able to start it from the beginning in competitions or will you need to pay someone else - and by the way all the entry fees and travel producing that nice safe hack, all rounder to compete up to BE 100 cost - a lot!

Horse prices have gone up because they have been too cheap for too long so many breeders have stopped breeding and that goes right across Europe (Ireland IS in Europe!)
Remember the old horse saying 'It costs the same to keep a good horse as a bad one'. Save up and buy the best you can afford. Livery is very expensive so do without a horse for a bit and put the savings towards your next horse. If you are honest with how much you spend on keep, vets, insurance, livery rugs, travel, entry fees and that blingy browband your savings may grow faster than you think!!!

As I’ve said I completely understand breeding a horse is expensive and have always known about the risks of breeding but my salary has not increased and is not likely to dramatically increase any time soon…so I have to look into alternative options if I want to have the type of horse I want…I always wanted to breed my own one day anyway, or at least buy my own foal. Just considering all options, and breeding is one of the options for me

SO1

Visit site
Maybe they have inherited money due to a loved one dying from Covid. A lot of elderly died before their time.

The amount of inheritance tax recieved by the government shot up during the pandemic.

this is what confuses me too… where did all these people with five figure budgets come from… why’d they all suddenly want horses now

McGrools

Visit site
As another poster said, ex-racehorses seem to be sensible money at the moment. I bought one in August from Newmarket for £2,500. He is sound as a pound, great conformation and will easily fly round a BE90 with some schooling. He has been seen several times by my vet physio (has also worked for FEI) for check ups, and he loves him. You don't need to spend £10,000.

chaps89

Visit site
Ex racers. A be90 is well within their ability. I think more and more folk are realising their potential. They are lovely well mannered people by and large and have plenty potential xx

i just wish they came in smaller! 16hh and up is just too big for me nowadays. I used to enjoy helping re-school some back in the day though. I remember being unceremoniously dumped by one once, never sat on a horse who could spin so quick before ?

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
Without seeing the horse it’s impossible to say but I think that the horse OP described would easily fetch 8 k .
Actually that’s what I was thinking of offering… but reading these replies make me think even that’s not enough, I guess no harm in trying! Will speak to the owner when I next see her

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I think covid also made a lot of people realise that they need to seize the day. Maybe they had given up horses for whatever reason and with reduced living costs (WFH and no social activities available to spend on) had more disposable income.
I bought a “COVID horse”. I’d had to sell my mare due to my divorce 2 years earlier, I worked from home for 18 months saving around £500 a month. No where to go had never wanted to give up horses in the first place and then I lost 3 colleagues in the space of 2 weeks to covid and I thought sod this I need horses back in my life.
A lot of people had disposable income and nothing to dispose it on.