Horse prices

nutjob

Visit site
Bit of a thick question but how do people run a scam like this? Surely if you called you’d want to go and see the horse? Or do they ask for a deposit before seeing?

I think they are mainly aimed at the very large no. of folks who are now buying unseen. You may transfer the money and get a different horse or no horse at all. Alternatively, it could be deposit to secure first viewing. Possibly a dodgy dealer where you turn up to find a similar looking horse, hence always best to get a copy of passport before viewing. You could turn up and oh dear that horse has been sold, never mind you travelled for 3 hours to get here, have a look at this one, don't worry that it's painfully thin, snotty nose and lame in at least 1 leg. Since covid the dodgy dealers and outright scammers have been having a bonanza. There's also one where they just use a premium rate phone no. so they get money just when you call. No need to have any horse involved in that one at all. May be more that I haven't come across yet!!

Ceifer

Visit site
I think they are mainly aimed at the very large no. of folks who are now buying unseen. You may transfer the money and get a different horse or no horse at all. Alternatively, it could be deposit to secure first viewing. Possibly a dodgy dealer where you turn up to find a similar looking horse, hence always best to get a copy of passport before viewing. You could turn up and oh dear that horse has been sold, never mind you travelled for 3 hours to get here, have a look at this one, don't worry that it's painfully thin, snotty nose and lame in at least 1 leg. Since covid the dodgy dealers and outright scammers have been having a bonanza. There's also one where they just use a premium rate phone no. so they get money just when you call. No need to have any horse involved in that one at all. May be more that I haven't come across yet!!
Ah I see. I didn’t think of seeing unseen. God what a nightmare.

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
I feel like prices are already starting to come down? Or maybe not come down but those at a high price arent selling...
I have only started to look properly over the past 2 weeks so i was only seeing the price tags but i see the same horses pop up on facebook... perhaps they will drop soon?

Also if anyone is interested i enquired about the horse at my yard and theyre not looking to sell but said if she was thed probably ask for £7-8k

marmalade76

Visit site
i just wish they came in smaller! 16hh and up is just too big for me nowadays. I used to enjoy helping re-school some back in the day though. I remember being unceremoniously dumped by one once, never sat on a horse who could spin so quick before ?

Being a shortarse, I also wish they were smaller! Looking for a second horse as my boy is currently on his own and (might not go well with some but) I don't want an unridden companion, if I'm going have have to pick up it's poo & cough up for keep, it may as well be useful! Whilst I could afford another few grand to spend on another horse, the husband would have a fit so looking like an ex-racer is the only option and with the contacts I have, I can get one for nowt (though I won't be allowed to sell on).

As for these silly prices, has anyone tried getting it? When I decided to sell my 14.2 arab who hacked, schooled & jumped like a stag last year, there were lots of enquiries but only a couple of viewings. He then failed a flexion and in the end went to a friend for less than half the money he was originally advertised for.

The other thing I find annoying is the high price of oldies, they may well be worth their weight in gold but I'm not paying through the nose for something that's only two or three years away from retirement, sorry.

AntiPuck

Visit site
I feel like prices are already starting to come down? Or maybe not come down but those at a high price arent selling...
I have only started to look properly over the past 2 weeks so i was only seeing the price tags but i see the same horses pop up on facebook... perhaps they will drop soon?

Also if anyone is interested i enquired about the horse at my yard and theyre not looking to sell but said if she was thed probably ask for £7-8k

I've also noticed a bit of a shift in the last month, but it might just be that those particular horses have issues that aren't being disclosed in their ads. Interesting, either way!

Birker2020

Visit site
I've also noticed a bit of a shift in the last month, but it might just be that those particular horses have issues that aren't being disclosed in their ads. Interesting, either way!
Asking to see a video is very revealing. The number of horses that I didn't bother viewing after seeing their videos were astronomical. Some were very obviously lame, one was ridiculously so, again a very very nice looking horse that was priced very low - alarm bells.

The type I was looking for - ISH/WB between 6-10, 16.2hh - 17.1hh and that was under 9K was no good whatsoever, shiverer, wobbler, lame, cold backed, sarcoids, blind in one eye (I kid you not).

In the end I only looked at over £10K horses and even those were not 100%.

Ceifer

Visit site
I’ve seen some horses seem to hang about on advertisements. Some have reduced (v slightly!) in price on the adverts. Of course or could just be that the adverts haven’t been taken down and they have sold.

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
I’ve seen some horses seem to hang about on advertisements. Some have reduced (v slightly!) in price on the adverts. Of course or could just be that the adverts haven’t been taken down and they have sold.

I’ve seen some adverts on fb that have been reposted again, so obviously not selling, one horse sounded an absolute dream in every day for just five figs and wasn’t selling… maybe other issues, I just would’ve thought he’d be snapped up but even on horse quest etc ive seen a couple horses lately that are within my budget that look like exactly what I need… So hopefully soon I’ll actually be able to welcome a new horse

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I saw that advert and twigged something wasn’t right. Bit of a thick question but how do people run a scam like this? Surely if you called you’d want to go and see the horse? Or do they ask for a deposit before seeing?

Some ask for a deposit to secure a viewing/hold the horse for you and some will try and convince you to buy unseen and transfer the full funds to them. A lot of the international scammers aren’t horsey so don’t factor in the viewing aspect, they just see it as purchasing an object that you wouldn’t try out first like a TV. So the scam fails when you want a viewing.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I’m completely priced out of the market and as a result giving up. Reminds me a lot of the housing market. A project that rears sold from a field for £5k, a just backed 4yr old with shivers £8k. Like everyone I’m looking for an average RC horse- these horses used to be around £5k and lots of them about but now selling within hours and £10-15k.

Where have all of these additional people willing to pay come from? Or are there less horses for sale? The prices have shot up so much but I’ve never known demand like this.
I do understand horse prices haven’t risen in years (and costs of breeding etc), just very sad unless you are wealthy, average folk like me can’t afford a horse anymore. The last year with my late horse was horrible (£10k on vets bills, constant rehab) and now thinking of giving up because I’m priced out- just needed to vent really :-(

Squeak

Visit site
I’m completely priced out of the market and as a result giving up. Reminds me a lot of the housing market. A project that rears sold from a field for £5k, a just backed 4yr old with shivers £8k. Like everyone I’m looking for an average RC horse- these horses used to be around £5k and lots of them about but now selling within hours and £10-15k.

Where have all of these additional people willing to pay come from? Or are there less horses for sale? The prices have shot up so much but I’ve never known demand like this.
I do understand horse prices haven’t risen in years (and costs of breeding etc), just very sad unless you are wealthy, average folk like me can’t afford a horse anymore. The last year with my late horse was horrible (£10k on vets bills, constant rehab) and now thinking of giving up because I’m priced out- just needed to vent really :-(

I'm worried I would also be priced out too. I have no idea how people are affording these prices and where the huge demand has come from.

If you're wanting a RC horse have you considered an ex-racer? They're often cheaper to buy and should be able to do the job.

marmalade76

Visit site

I don't mind paying fair money for a good horse, but the horses you describe here should be a few hundred, not a a few grand, regardless of how much the cost to breed, produce & keep, they're duds. But if they were advertised for a few hundred, they'd be snapped up by dodgy dealers & sold on with their problems undisclosed. The horse market has gone absolutely mad.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I went the ex racer route and am delighted with him nearly a year down the line. But theres a risk. Lots and lots dont stay sound. I could take that risk as I've got a young highland waiting. I'd have been more anxious if I was a one horse owner. Saying that plenty of "normal" horses break as well, so I guess its just a bit more of a risk, which is balanced out by the 10k + saving on the purchase price.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I'm worried I would also be priced out too. I have no idea how people are affording these prices and where the huge demand has come from.

If you're wanting a RC horse have you considered an ex-racer? They're often cheaper to buy and should be able to do the job.
I’d love an exracer, even they seem a lot of money (I’ve seen some direct from the trainers for £5k), maybe I’m looking in the wrong place

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
I am surprised the market is still so active - still so many looking for horses apparently !
I know, where are these people coming from. They weren’t about when I was looking 3 years ago. Are they people coming out of RS/first time owners? Surely most folks who have bought before think “I’m not paying £5k for a project that rears” lol ETA: nothing against first time buyers, it’s just if you’re used to the prices we had for 20years it’s a shock when something is £5k for a project (hence why you wouldn’t pay it) whereas if you had no idea of previous prices you’d have nothing to compare it to

Bernster

Visit site
Yes, and I’m surprised there are still more buyers coming into the market after 2 years of such an active market. I’m one of them though, I bought a 2nd riding horse last spring at what I thought was the top of the market. It’s still going strong. I thought I overpaid but I think the price has held, or he’d be even more now ?

I paid asking price as I was the first to view, there was lots of interest and I did feel like he’d sell quickly. He has his quirks but they were more about settling into a new home and, if anything, I’d say his ad undersold him slightly as he has a decent comp record at BS and BE, and bags more talent for a better rider than me!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've been toying with the idea of another young mini to keep Bo company but the prices shocked me.

I paid £350 for Cookie. Couldn't find anything on Preloved yesterday (that wasn't a colt) for less than £1200!

ETA as far as riding ponies are concerned I'm most definitely priced out of the market and think Bo will probably be my last.

JJS

Visit site

I’d absolutely be priced out too. I can afford to keep horses, but I couldn’t afford to pay those kinds of amounts upfront. In fact, I’m counting myself lucky that Mary came with a baby on board, because there’s no way I could buy another riding horse if one of them broke.

People may disagree, but if that did happen, I’d be inclined to breed my next one rather than buy it. I’ve done it once, albeit accidentally, and would prefer to spread the costs and put the work in from day one, even if that meant waiting four to five years to get a nice riding horse. For me, raising a youngster has actually been one of my favourite horse owning experiences, so I’d definitely consider doing it again if the need arose.

Ceifer

Visit site
I keep hearing people saying that it is right horse prices have gone up and we’ve had things cheap for too long. I think it’s right that prices do increase, but not to the insane levels that are pricing people out of the market.
I have a mare tentatively up for sale, she’s not expensive because she’s not a spring chicken (16) and home is more important than price. She is a genuine RC horse and due to life circumstances she is for sale.
It’s a nightmare, I’m going through word of mouth for now and local adverts but honestly people are a nightmare. One woman deemed her too big by 1 inch. The other I put off coming as although she predominantly wanted to hack, the checklist of requirements made her sound like she needed to be fit and sound enough to pop round Badminton if she so desired ?

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site

tjat was exactly my question- where have all these people come from?
apparently a mixture of lockdown therefore having more time (and money saved from not going on holidays/ out drinking etc) and brexit where import from Ireland and Europe is tougher.
I do think prices will drop, maybe slightly but there won’t be an endless supply of people with five figures budgets. Maybe not drop to the point it was pre covid but drop slightly. I am keeping an eye on the market still but I think unless something really good pops up within my budget (which usually is snapped up within a day) I will wait until next year and see how it goes. We are only reallt just coming out of lockdown now. I hope for the horses sakes people don’t go selling all the horses they committed to in lockdown! But surely there will still be lots of up abs coming youngstock needing homes

Bay.chestnut.coloure

Visit site
I keep hearing people saying that it is right horse prices have gone up and we’ve had things cheap for too long. I think it’s right that prices do increase, but not to the insane levels that are pricing people out of the market.
I have a mare tentatively up for sale, she’s not expensive because she’s not a spring chicken (16) and home is more important than price. She is a genuine RC horse and due to life circumstances she is for sale.
It’s a nightmare, I’m going through word of mouth for now and local adverts but honestly people are a nightmare. One woman deemed her too big by 1 inch. The other I put off coming as although she predominantly wanted to hack, the checklist of requirements made her sound like she needed to be fit and sound enough to pop round Badminton if she so desired ?

yes I agree I think prices should rise but they’ve gone insane. In lockdown I saw a al round maxi cob no competition record but jumps up to 1m for £25k.. must have sold pretty quick as the advert was gone within a week
Also sadly seen a fair few dragging their crippled or lame horses out the field to take advantage of the money… to sell as happy hackers or “dressage” horses for £2/3/4K when they’ve been supposedly retired or at least sat in a field for the past few years