horse related book recommendations

charliecrisps

Visit site
Need a new book to fill the evenings (and clearly wet weekends too!!). Any good fiction or non-fiction horsey related reads anyone can recommend please :)

Regandal

Visit site
If you want a laugh, get 'Turn Me On, Guv' by Marcus Armytage (sp?). It's a collection of short anecdotes (racing related) and is very funny.

Cowpony

Visit site
Yes! Clare Balding's biography is brilliant!

Lyndon Stacey is good, as is John Francombe - they are mysteries as well as being about the horse world.

Adopter

Visit site
Yes Clare Baldings book is good, John Francombe as well, I have also recently discovered Sarah Challis, lots of her books are based in countryside and are around horses, enjoyable reads.

Archangel

Visit site
Vagabond by Jeremy James is the story of his ride through Eastern Europe. He has a quirky writing style but stick with it as it is an amazing adventure (true) story.

connieconvert

Visit site
The Fox in the Cupboard by Jane Shilling: a true account by a woman who learns to ride in order to hunt.
Jumbo To Jockey by Dominic Prince: hilarious, well informed story of author losing weight to race ride.
Experiences Of An Irish RM by Somerville and Ross: sublime!

Spilletta

Visit site
Another vote for Clare Balding’s book.

Nicholas Clee’s ‘Eclipse: the story of the rouge, the madam and the horse that changed racing’ is pretty good if you’re interested in racing.

Also, Jeremy James’s ‘The Byerley Turk’ is worth a look. I liked reading how the seyis (groom) interacts with the horses, but I’m no good at giving reviews so maybe check online for a better synopses.

AP McCoy’s ‘Taking the Fall’ is one I intend to read soon.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
William Fox-Pitt & Mary King & Pippa Funnel autobiography

Dick Francis & John Francome have some brilliant thrillers my favourite being Stalking Horse...all are reaally gripping...ooh lifeline is my other favourite
The Horse Whispere is also really good

windand rain

Visit site
Lyndon stacey and the race riders for thrillers
A nice story loosely based on horses and romany gypsy life is the Bitti Chi and its follow up the lost souls by Jane Gray
A few Autobiographies about for christmas too

JustKickOn

Visit site
Have a look at Lyndon Stacey books. The most recent I have read is 'Deadfall'. They're mainly crime based, but with an equestrian theme.

cambrica

Visit site
I still have Clare Baldings book to read. My favourite is 'Reflections on equestrian art' Nuno Oliveira and a mark rashid book ( lent it out so can't remember the title)

TPO

Visit site
Mark Rashid's books (Considering the horse, A good horse is never a bad colour, Horses Never Lie and Life lessons from a Ranch Horse). I put off reading them for years for stupid reasons and I wish I'd been smart enough to read them sooner. I can't recommend them enough; they are really well written and all the lessons are recounted through his personal experiences. He's a really good story teller and his messages resonated with me.

Fiona Walker for horsey chick lit. There are three books she's written with the same eventer characters in it that are funny and easy reading.

Jo Jo Moyers - The Horse Dancer is another easy to read horse story.

ETA Jane Smiley has written a fair bit of horse fiction. Horse Heaven is the only one I've read but here's a list of her books http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Smiley/e/B000APT97K

I google'd adult horse books ( with hindsight that may not have worked out so well knowing google...) and found this list http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12934.Best_Horse_Novels_for_Adults_Or_Older_Teens

The only one from it that I've read is Chosen by a Horse. I am a wimp but it's a proper heart breaker!

Another true story I enjoyed was Beyond the Homestretch. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1577319567/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1388860536&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Last edited:

Doublethyme

Visit site
Fiction wise agree Fiona Walker trilogy French Relations, Well Groomed and Kiss and Tell are good fun easy reads.

Dressage Chronicles one and two are good as well.

Autobiography wise my favourites are still all the Lucinda Green ones, although sadly out of print now. Pkys Village Gossip which I think is written by her groom Joanne Capon? Love that book, cried buckets.