Horse reluctant to go forward and rearing

Char1995

Visit site
Hi, I’m mainly looking to see if anyone has dealt with something similar as unsure how to move forward!

I’ve had my horse for a little over a year now, during the last few rides in the arena he has started to refuse to move forward and rear on one rein. This tends to mainly be when asking for trot but the past 2 rides he’s done this when even asking him to walk on that specific rein. One of my recent rides he stopped and started pawing which is unlike him. He is absolutely fine on the lunge and has had a new saddle, bit snd bridle fitted to him. He’s upto date with teeth, physio etc. Rearing is not overly uncommon for him, when he naps he can often to little tiny attempts at a rear but the ones he’s been doing have been quite big. I’m just really worried that something may be bothering him or something could be wrong. If anyone has experienced anything like this, any advice would be appreciated as I’m not sure how to move forward with this

paddi22

Visit site
The only way to move forward is to call a vet and get to the bottom of what is causing it before you or anyone else gets injured. It could be any of a range of things and you will drive yourself mad googling them and panicking (if you are like me😅). give the vet a call and let them see the horse. no one online can tell you exactly what it is without seeing the horse.

Char1995

Visit site
The only way to move forward is to call a vet and get to the bottom of what is causing it before you or anyone else gets injured. It could be any of a range of things and you will drive yourself mad googling them and panicking (if you are like me😅). give the vet a call and let them see the horse. no one online can tell you exactly what it is without seeing the horse.
Thank you, I’m definitely going to talk to my instructor and a vet. I’ve definitely done my fair share of googling and panicking tonight! Just want to do what’s best for him

scats

Visit site
What do you mean by this please?

Sacroiliac problems or Proximal Suspensory Desmitis. They often go hand in hand and refusal to go forwards is a common symptom. I have a mare with PSD and she did exactly as you describe.

That said, you really do need to get a vet out for performance issues as all we can do here is offer suggestions and things you might want to bring up with the vet. They may well suggest a full work up.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Gastric ulcers and hock arthritis for mine, exactly the same pawing and rearing up when asked to walk/trot. Vet for scope and full work up

ihatework

Visit site
Could be a number of things but it’s deffo a vet trip I’m afraid. Sounds not dissimilar to what one of my young mares and she was recently diagnosed with Kissing Spine.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
Vet work up asap! My horse was doing this and turned out to have suspensory problems 😔 she had ulcers diagnosed at the same time too so couldnt tell you which one was causing the behaviour the most but i know reluctance to go forward to a big thing with horses diagnosed with psd (suspensory problems)

MissTyc

Visit site
I would def have the vet out for a check + get saddle fitter or experienced person to see if they can spot anything re saddle.
If nothing obvious anywhere, my vet's go-to is a bute trial as that will provide a lot of information.
It really could be anything. Don't panic.
I have one who will throw a rearing tantrum of doom if the saddle gets even fractionally tighter around the shoulders (spring grass coming right now), yet if the saddle bounced about on his back he wouldn't get two stuffs.
They can be dramatic in their communication if they feel you're not hearing what they are trying to say. As the horse is still "new" to you, seasonable changes in body shape and behaviour are yet to become familiar and predictable.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Echo the vet call.

Which rein? Reacting badly on the right rein but not the left is an ulcer symptom (eta, often triggered by the presence of the rider's leg, hence no reaction on the lunge) but you still need to work out what physical or mental pain or what management caused the ulcers.

Last edited:

lynz88

Visit site
Is this completely new behaviour and have you had vet out? Vet would be my first call. Mine was super grumpy to be ridden but would be fine on the lunge and turned out he had quite a lot going on every single time (hocks, suspensories, SI).

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine did exactly this and it turned out she had arthritis in one of the joints in her spine, and a very sore back. Echo everybody else's advice to get a thorough work up by the vet.

Char1995

Visit site
I would def have the vet out for a check + get saddle fitter or experienced person to see if they can spot anything re saddle.
If nothing obvious anywhere, my vet's go-to is a bute trial as that will provide a lot of information.
It really could be anything. Don't panic.
I have one who will throw a rearing tantrum of doom if the saddle gets even fractionally tighter around the shoulders (spring grass coming right now), yet if the saddle bounced about on his back he wouldn't get two stuffs.
They can be dramatic in their communication if they feel you're not hearing what they are trying to say. As the horse is still "new" to you, seasonable changes in body shape and behaviour are yet to become familiar and predictable.
Thank you, that’s really helpful. He’s a sensitive horse and very dramatic with the how he shows things. With the rears getting bigger and more frequent I’m quite worried somethings going on as the last thing I want to do is push him through it if he isn’t completely happy. Think I’ll definitely get the vet out to check him over as a precaution

Char1995

Visit site
Echo the vet call.

Which rein? Reacting badly on the right rein but not the left is an ulcer symptom (eta, often triggered by the presence of the rider's leg, hence no reaction on the lunge) but you still need to work out what physical or mental pain or what management caused the ulcers.
I’m definitely going to get the vet out to check him over. It’s the right rein he does it on too, left rein is fine

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi, I’m mainly looking to see if anyone has dealt with something similar as unsure how to move forward!

I’ve had my horse for a little over a year now, during the last few rides in the arena he has started to refuse to move forward and rear on one rein. This tends to mainly be when asking for trot but the past 2 rides he’s done this when even asking him to walk on that specific rein. One of my recent rides he stopped and started pawing which is unlike him. He is absolutely fine on the lunge and has had a new saddle, bit snd bridle fitted to him. He’s upto date with teeth, physio etc. Rearing is not overly uncommon for him, when he naps he can often to little tiny attempts at a rear but the ones he’s been doing have been quite big. I’m just really worried that something may be bothering him or something could be wrong. If anyone has experienced anything like this, any advice would be appreciated as I’m not sure how to move forward with this

I would say pain and discomfort

Check:

1. vet
  2. back
  3. teeth
  4. saddle
  5. chiro
  6. bridle etc