Horse rider dies on road after incident with motorbike on a blind bend

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Another rider dies on the roads, this times after an incident with a motorbike on a blind bend. The horse and the motorbike rider were slightly injured. No arrests have been reported.

I'm very sorry to read on another thread that this rider was well known to some HHOers. Her name has been released now.

RIP Jayne.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
So sad that another person has paid the price of riding on the road… my accident was caused by a driver and I came off on the roadside , I was lucky I didn’t die as I had a brain bleed which didn’t want to stop as I’m on blood thinners… however it has made me change my life and I now cannot ride or handle horses due to the risk

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've been told what happened but won't repeat it here- but it wasn't just a case of horse spooking , there was more to it and I'm disgusted- but not surprised sadly - that the motor bike rider wasn't arrested . He'll probably get away with a fine.
For killing someone. Makes me so angry..

I hacked out today on the mainly small country lanes around my yard and although all drivers passed me safely, fot some reason I felt incredibly nervous.
This incident has really shaken me up.

BlackHorseNemo

New User
Visit site
So many motorbikes on the roads around me and they are so noisy. I am told that the riders take the baffles out to increase the volume just to look cool and impress?? I myself find the noise offensive & scary and my horse has indeed spun and bolted but luckily I stayed aboard. There is no escape from them even on the two local byways that I use. It is the arena for me now or box up to the Forestry Commission TROT ride, however dogs are the problem there.

RIP.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I've been told what happened but won't repeat it here- but it wasn't just a case of horse spooking , there was more to it and I'm disgusted- but not surprised sadly - that the motor bike rider wasn't arrested . He'll probably get away with a fine.
For killing someone. Makes me so angry..

I hacked out today on the mainly small country lanes around my yard and although all drivers passed me safely, fot some reason I felt incredibly nervous.
This incident has really shaken me up.
I am a biker and I am absolutely disgusted with some of the bikers lately, one nearly hit my truck yesterday.. on my side of the road,, leaning right over..

So sad about this lady ♥️

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Sossigpoker Jayne's horse was used in war reenactments. She was the least spooky horse I know! I find it so hard that all the reports appear to blame the horse.
I've been told there was a lot more to it than just a spook. What I was told would freak out any horse. And if it was "just " a spook the motorcyclist wouldn't have been injured.

I don't know why but this has really shaken me. Knowing that there are people that ignorant and irresponsible out there.

Chappie

Visit site
RIP Jayne - I'm so sorry for her, her family & friends and her horse.

I can't stop thinking about this - I'm a similar age, and went out my first proper hack in ages on Sunday. Blind bends on the routes and Sunday is biker day round here.

Off road bikes too, where they shouldn't be, and defo not ok to encounter here.

Wish we had farm rides here.

scats

Visit site
Awful news. A horse was hit here a few years ago and the driver fled the scene and was never found. Thankfully it survived but needed extensive surgery. The child rider was unharmed, by some miracle.
The roads by my yard are horrific and full of impatient drivers. It’s a main road that also has a busy lane feeding into it. Thankfully we have private farm land to hack on. I’ll occasionally chance a Sunday evening road hack to a residential road, but even that’s a bit of a nightmare at times as you have to go partially down the busy lane and people just fly down there.

Widgeon

Visit site
I know this isn't strictly relevant to the incident (which I deliberately haven't read about because I know it would make me angry and upset and there's nothing I can do about it) but around here, I would say 80% of bikers are great. They slow down for us, stop, sometimes turn off engines, and have even shielded us (riders) from aggressive car drivers in the past. However as with anything, it's an idiot minority who spoil things and with my car driver hat on, I regularly wonder whether this 20% have a death wish - way over the speed limit, cutting corners all the way onto the wrong side of the road, no regard for anyone else. They're frightening.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I agree with Widgeon - most of the traffic most of the time is very considerate of horse riders in my area too. The minority, for whatever reason, is a dangerous p.i.t.a. We need more safe access to bridleways, and we need bridleways reinstating. One of my local authorities plastered signs everywhere proclaiming ' Countryside For All' but blocked access for horses.

Chippers1

Visit site
I have a friend who recently learned to ride a motorbike and she told me that during the training they have an hours lesson on how to ride around horses, which is much more than the quick glance at the highway code that drivers get. I've generally only come across courteous motorbike riders luckily (including a huge group of them coming round a corner, when the first rider spotted us he slowed everyone down so they all crawled past :)) but there will always be one idiot who is completely dangerous. I've definitely noticed it more driving around.
R.I.P Jayne, such a sad situation.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
After reading this to my husband last night, both of us fully knowing the risks involved in all our sports, he said ‘thank goodness for your camera’
It has just confirmed that I need another for my bike helmet to save swapping.
If someone did flee the scene, the camera footage would get them either way unless the were in a helicopter….

Miss_Millie

Visit site
This is heartbreakingly sad 😞 We all know that riding is a risk in general, but we do what we can to keep ourselves and our horses safe. We can't control how other road users behave, which terrifies me.

When I drive down country lanes, I go incredibly slowly around blind bends. I don't care if the car behind me is tailgating me, I won't go speeding around a bend when I can't see what is beyond it. There could be another car, cyclist, horse rider, wild animal, I have even come across pedestrians walking down narrow country lanes.

I had a near miss on my horse with a car speeding around a blind bend on a single country lane with high hedges, they had to emergency brake and stopped within a couple of feet of my horse's chest. My horse was an absolute saint, if she had panicked and ran forward, I dread to think what the outcome would have been. The driver didn't stop to ask if we were okay or apologise, they sped off before I could get a numberplate.

It does make you question riding on the road altogether. I'm now in a different area with great off-road hacking, you do have to ride on the road for 10 minutes to get to the bridleway but at least they're very wide, open roads where you can see who is coming towards you from miles off, I feel safer when I can see what is coming, but would much prefer it if I didn't have to go on roads altogether.

RIP Jayne, I have been reading about your contributions to equine podiatry in the UK and how loved you were by so many people. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
This thread makes me equally sad and angry. Both because another life is lost because of inconsiderate, selfish idiots. :( :mad:

That said, I went for a hack last week with my RS and a learner motorcyclist stopped, turned off his engine and waited for us to pass. The car drivers honking their horns at a different part of the route however obviously were too important to have to wait a few minutes for us to get to the bridleway. :mad:

Sealine

Visit site
So very, very sad. A life lost due to the selfish decisions of one person 😢:mad: It sounds like Jayne was an experienced rider on a sensible horse which proves it really is the luck of the draw. We all take a risk each time we ride on the roads as we have no control over what idiot driver we may come across.

My husband and all his friends are bikers and, in my experience, bikers behave better than drivers when they come across horses on the roads. Unfortunately in any community there always seems to be a few selfish idiots giving them a bad name.

My thoughts are with Jayne's friends and family.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
When I lived in the UK I was fortunate in that I didn’t encounter impatient and/or aggressive drivers either in cars or on bikes in my corner of Dartmoor. The bikers especially were very considerate. I met an awful lot of complete knobs when driving my car however.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I dont know the lady involved and no idea what happened but reading about it only reinforced my view that my decision to stop riding last year, aged 60, was the right one. I hadnt ridden on our country roads for several years but even the bridleways and horse friendly tracks around here were becoming unpleasant to ride on. Cyclists both racing and mountain biking, skateboarding kids, dogs and kids out of control, noone knowing how to behave around a horse. Even my saintly highland was spooked on occasions and I felt neither safe nor relaxed. Just decided it wasnt the fun hobby I had enjoyed for years and now content myself with watching them eat me out of house and home! Its another very sad day for riders everywhere :(

Orangehorse

Visit site
How very sad.

It only needs one inconsiderate person to cause an accident, most road users I meet are fine, but there is always going to be that one that isn't.

RIP.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I am very sorry to read of this tragic incident which resulted in the death of a horse rider. If anyone knows the precise circumstances of this incident please could you contact me on E: peter.natt@btinternet.com As far as motorbikes go I have found most motorcyclist are very respectfull of horse riders but there will always be a minority that sadly are not. Some motorbike riders/owners change the exhaust pipes to after market ones which are very much more noisy and are also illegal so they can be reported as this is an offence. For those that ride on the road if I could give some advice which is that if you are involved in an incident please report it to the Police and insist that they give you an ‘Incident Number’ (so that you know it has been recorded on their systems database). Most police forces now have a ‘Snap Portal’ where you can send in hat cam coverage. Check on : https://nextbase.co.uk/national-das...vFa_PnQDKOp32qyvuFZ7bJ4ewSEcZRiFl51xjDqfHA5Tw
Also report the incident to the BHS Horse i App or www.horseincidents.org.uk web site as they collect statistics of horse related incidents, for statistical purposes which they need for when they are in discussions with central and local government to improve safety for Horse Riders and Carriage Drivers. For instance the Highways Departments of Local Authorities require statistical information to demonstrate issues and the statistics obtained from the App and Web site prove to be very useful.
In addition if you know of a number of incidents along this stretch of road you have the option of organising a Police ‘Slow Pass’ Operation along this stretch of road, which involves a ridden or driven horse being observed by Police Officers and any dangerous drivers are stopped and talked to. To organise a Police Slow Pass Operation contact the Safety Department of the BHS H.Q. Tel: 02476 840516 E-mail: safety@bhs.org.uk

As regards other measures you can take I would recommend wearing a long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket so that other road users can clearly see your hand signals and also wearing a Hat-Cam such as the Techalogic DC-1 which films both forwards and backwards at the same time. (If you order on their web site www.techalogic.co.uk and use the discount code PWAS1 you will get a 7% discount)!

If you only get a partial number plate reading check here www.partialnumberplate.co.uk

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I am very sorry to read of this tragic incident which resulted in the death of a horse rider. If anyone knows the precise circumstances of this incident please could you contact me on E: peter.natt@btinternet.com As far as motorbikes go I have found most motorcyclist are very respectfull of horse riders but there will always be a minority that sadly are not. Some motorbike riders/owners change the exhaust pipes to after market ones which are very much more noisy and are also illegal so they can be reported as this is an offence. For those that ride on the road if I could give some advice which is that if you are involved in an incident please report it to the Police and insist that they give you an ‘Incident Number’ (so that you know it has been recorded on their systems database). Most police forces now have a ‘Snap Portal’ where you can send in hat cam coverage. Check on : https://nextbase.co.uk/national-das...vFa_PnQDKOp32qyvuFZ7bJ4ewSEcZRiFl51xjDqfHA5Tw
Also report the incident to the BHS Horse i App or www.horseincidents.org.uk web site as they collect statistics of horse related incidents, for statistical purposes which they need for when they are in discussions with central and local government to improve safety for Horse Riders and Carriage Drivers. For instance the Highways Departments of Local Authorities require statistical information to demonstrate issues and the statistics obtained from the App and Web site prove to be very useful.
In addition if you know of a number of incidents along this stretch of road you have the option of organising a Police ‘Slow Pass’ Operation along this stretch of road, which involves a ridden or driven horse being observed by Police Officers and any dangerous drivers are stopped and talked to. To organise a Police Slow Pass Operation contact the Safety Department of the BHS H.Q. Tel: 02476 840516 E-mail: safety@bhs.org.uk

As regards other measures you can take I would recommend wearing a long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket so that other road users can clearly see your hand signals and also wearing a Hat-Cam such as the Techalogic DC-1 which films both forwards and backwards at the same time. (If you order on their web site www.techalogic.co.uk and use the discount code PWAS1 you will get a 7% discount)!

If you only get a partial number plate reading check here www.partialnumberplate.co.uk

I didn’t know about the Police Slow pass operation, very interesting, i will look into this as we have a country road running right passed our yard which is a rat run and race track, it is terrifying. I absolutely won’t ride on it anymore but I’m very lucky that I have direct access to a huge private hacking area from the yard.