Horse shoe vs trailer...not a fun battle to witness

BBP

Visit site
Horse at an event I was at yesterday began rearing once loaded into its herringbone trailer. Partitions were closed, gates closed and ramp up when all of a sudden the owner was shouting for help and that horse was stuck. It turned out he had reared up onto the tack locker in front of him and had managed to catch a front horse shoe on the grill partition by where his head should be. So horse completely trapped with one foreleg at about 5 ft high, shoe well and truly jammed into the grill and not coming off the hoof. Cue horse panicing and thrashing, continuing to rear and place the other front leg up onto the tack locker. He then decides to fight a bit more and come up and over the partition, with his stuck leg bent up under his body, head and neck pressed up against the roof. All grills folding and bending under his weight. Fire brigade and emergency vets called for sedation but without a doubt the longest 5-10 mins of my life, trying to calm the horse, calm the owner and all the time terrified I would see the horse break a leg and be able to do nothing about it. I don't think I have ever felt so helpless in my life. I was stood behind the gates holding his head and chatting away to him about what a daft sod he was, speaking on the phone to a vet whilst trying not to let the horse break my arm as he struggled. Then all of a sudden he threw himself towards me and I was convinced he was going to somersault over the gates with his leg still trapped in the partition, so slightly shamefully and because people were screaming at me to get out of the way I let go of him ran down the ramp, turned around dreading what I would see to find that somehow, finally, he ripped had the shoe off and instead of coming forwards fully over the top he dropped back into his slot. I can only imagine what it would have been like to have gone through the next 15-30mins til fire service and vet attendance if that shoe had not pulled off. In this event there were just 3 small females around including me and the owner, who will admit she was in a complete panic, so nothing that required brute force could have happened.

So beware of metals grills and horseshoes is my lesson, people talk about shoes catching in haynets but at least they can be cut, this was 1cm metal bars vs a shoe. I hope if the owner is on here they won't mind me writing this, but I think its an important experience to share if it helps anyone to avert a similar incident somehow. I know accidents happen but what would you do? Do you have the number of emergency vets handy on your phone each time you compete away from home? Do you know the exact address (or have what3words) at the ready to speed up any emergency phone calls? Do you have a tool kit handy in your lorry (not sure what we could have done/used here, but for some things may be relevant)? Do you have someone you can call on to get you home if you are too shocked to drive yourself back? Do you have a first aid kit in your box?

Thankfully, horse walked away unmarked, but I imagine will be sore today.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Scary stuff.
I do keep a first aid kit including a tube of sedalin and shoe-removing tools on the lorry. I keep the lorry at the yard so I'm basically never without them.
I doubt the sedalin would have been much use with the horse's adrenalin already up but the tools may have been of use.

TPO

Visit site
Glad that it ended well, or as well as it could all things considered.

I'm constantly shocked by the number of owners who dont have a first aid kit at the stables and/or dont have a travel first aid kit. I was endlessly mocked for my yellow grab bag until swabs/bandages/poultice were required! I even used to take it when I was grooming/helping other people.

The same with farriery tools. When I had shod horses I had the full set of tools so that I could remove shoes if needed and tidy the hoof afterwards. I've been barefoot since 2010 and the tools have had more use by others with shod horses than I ever used them.

I don't suppose that any tools would have helped in that situation but it's always better to be over prepared when it comes to horses IMO

milliepops

Visit site
and beware tack lockers too I think.
Agreed 😬 I would love them for convenience but would not trust my delinquents.

Thinking ahead about emergency vets is a good thought. I tend to be within my practices area most journeys but I would know the main horspitals to call in neighbouring areas, I would expect them to have an emergency line as mine do. May check it out tho!

Thea

Visit site
How scary that the shoe got caught so high up, it’s not something I’ve ever thought would happen and I always play through scenarios in my head with everything. Tack lockers in the horse area can be dangerous, like you’ve witnessed, horses climb up on them!

I’ve helped on three ocassions get horses off tack lockers in lorries, three separate occasions, three separate horses and owners. One horse did have to have the emergency vet attend as he put his head through the roof and sliced it completely open!

My horse is the most chilled and sensible horse I’ve come across but I still wouldn’t fully trust her not to climb them. When I first had her as a 4yo, I left her tied to one side a friends trailer while I went to grab something from the other side, I walked back round to find her with her front feet on the mud guard licking the trailer roof! She hasn’t attempted anything like it since but is a bit too bold for her own good to fully trust her.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well done for helping out.

It’s what can and does happen with tack lockers, though. I don’t know if you feel you can share the make of trailer, but there aren’t many herringbone trailers with tack lockers about. One model does get asked about on HHO from time to time, and many of us cite the fitted tack lockers as a reason not to buy.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
I was once traveling with some friends to a show with four stallions, a Arab, a Welsh D a Welsh C and a little Welsh A. The A was at the front and while in a traffic jam managed to rear and get a front foot stuck in the window gril, we had to get cars to back up to drop the ramp, unload the other three to get the A's foot free luckily quite easily. He had untied himself, typical small pony, all ok in the end but could have been a different story if he hadn't waited quietly while we unloaded the others.

Shoei

Visit site

It’s what can and does happen with tack lockers, though. I don’t know if you feel you can share the make of trailer, but there aren’t many herringbone trailers with tack lockers about. One model does get asked about on HHO from time to time, and many of us cite the fitted tack lockers as a reason not to buy.
I can only think of the ifor because I am planning on buying one... although I can't think how it managed to get its good in bars!!... I have decided against the tack lockers after HHO advice and the horror stories!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I had a horse who got his foot stuck in a barbed wire fence where the wire met a fence post at a right angle.it was in the field. It was my much loved horse and it was incredibly frightening as his leg was stretched at chest height at an angle away from his body. His back end started collapsing and i was trying to prop him up with my shoulder whilst expecting his leg to snap. I was with two friends at the time one of whom was on the phone to the vet with me telling her matter of factly (was in shock) to tell the vet to make sure and bring his gun as i was convinced the leg was going to snap at any second. The other friend was ringing the Y.O to get down the field on the quad with his wire cutters. As the Y.O turned up the horse had one last struggle and the whole fence came down.

Took us an hour to get him back to the yard limping where vet treated him for badly cut leg and torn ligament. Worst few minutes of my life but amazingly we were all very calm. I think its shock that always renders me speechless.

I've never travelled mine to a comp without my first aid kit and first aid book in attendance. I also had a shoe removal tool and for years after carried wire cutters in a coat pocket. I can honestly say it was the most frigtening thing ever to have happened to me to date.

BBP

Visit site

I honestly didn't see the make, but a quick online search and I found this image on the IW website that looks like a very similar interior. These are the metal grills he got his hoof in. Horse was in space nearest camera, left front hoof I’m pretty sure was over the big horizontal metal bar and stuck in the front bit of grill above that (May have been below, either way not good). Right front hoof then went up onto locker and slid under the grill through gap between grill and locker. Head and shoulders then came up and over grill and folded them over to 90degrees til his head was near enough to back door that I could grab his halter whilst stood on the ramp.

Attachments

• D9899DE2-DE8A-439E-B312-F87B15325359.png
    D9899DE2-DE8A-439E-B312-F87B15325359.png
    853.1 KB · Views: 123

BBP

Visit site
I had a horse who got his foot stuck in a barbed wire fence where the wire met a fence post at a right angle.it was in the field. It was my much loved horse and it was incredibly frightening as his leg was stretched at chest height at an angle away from his body. His back end started collapsing and i was trying to prop him up with my shoulder whilst expecting his leg to snap. I was with two friends at the time one of whom was on the phone to the vet with me telling her matter of factly (was in shock) to tell the vet to make sure and bring his gun as i was convinced the leg was going to snap at any second. The other friend was ringing the Y.O to get down the field on the quad with his wire cutters. As the Y.O turned up the horse had one last struggle and the whole fence came down.

Took us an hour to get him back to the yard limping where vet treated him for badly cut leg and torn ligament. Worst few minutes of my life but amazingly we were all very calm. I think its shock that always renders me speechless.

I've never travelled mine to a comp without my first aid kit and first aid book in attendance. I also had a shoe removal tool and for years after carried wire cutters in a coat pocket. I can honestly say it was the most frigtening thing ever to have happened to me to date.

That sounds horrendous. Like you say it’s amazing how calm you can be in an emergency. I was chatting away to the horse whilst finding a vet number and calling them and trying to convince owner that the horse would be fine whilst being completely unconvinced myself!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Eep, yes, that is the trailer (and that photo) that I was thinking of, the Ifor Eventa. You can see just how easily a horse could get its feet caught up in the grill if it reared up onto the tack locker.

Are you ok, you must have had a real fright dealing with that.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I think you were very brave. And you had no choice but to flee when you thought the horse was going to land in your lap o_O

Well done.

Mule

Visit site

Sounds very scary

BBP

Visit site
Eep, yes, that is the trailer (and that photo) that I was thinking of, the Ifor Eventa. You can see just how easily a horse could get its feet caught up in the grill if it reared up onto the tack locker.

Are you ok, you must have had a real fright dealing with that.
Im absolutely fine, thank you for asking. Different story if the horse had been hurt of course.

BBP

Visit site
Thank God for a good outcome!
Please, if this happens again, don't go in a trailer with a panicking horse. It's absolutely commendable that you wanted to help, but it's so dangerous, and no horse is worth risking your life for.
I should clarify, I didn’t go in, I was stood on the ramp and only took hold of his head as he had climbed half way towards me and I could reach his head over the gate to rub his nose (not that he probably found that at all comforted, perhaps just made me feel better). And I did leg it off the ramp as it looked like he was coming further. You're absolutely right, I had thought about going in to see if I could get shoe off or dismantle partition but realised that I didn't have the skills or strength and it was way too dangerous given I wouldn't have achieved anything.

huskydamage

Visit site
Wow. How did they get the horse back home from the event after that? I'd be pertrified to go again! They must've done it OK presumably?

bubsqueaks

Visit site
OMG how scary for you & well done for staying calm & helping out.
Having experienced our own pony attempting to jump the breast bar I know how utterly terrifying an experience it is & one I am not prepared to put myself at risk of again!
We have a 6.5 ton forward facing lorry with open breast bar & after the incident I looked at all manner of prevention.
In my opinion putting grills up of any sort just makes it more dangerous as horses have no spatial awareness & you then get the possible scenario of feet & shoes getting stuck as in this case.
So we settled on an Equi Travel Safe - the best decision ever as I know for a fact my pony would try to jump out again as is a stable door jumper too!
I also have a camera to see exactly how she travels every time, I carry a Stanley knife for emergencies so I can cut the travel safe if required, carry sedative, full first aid, downloaded WhatsApp.
I think its one of the most dangerous things we do with our horses travelling them but its only after you have had an incident you recognize the awful consequences until then an awful lot of people remain aloof about it all.
Thank goodness you are all okay & thank you for posting to raise awareness as its only by making people think about this kind of scenario that they take any kind of preventative action.
Personally I don't think there is enough enforced safety elements for travelling horses.
It must cost the fire brigade & emergency services a fortune & Im surprised Insurers aren't insisting on clauses being fulfilled before cover.
Golly my adrenalin was up just reading about your story - horrendous.

milliepops

Visit site
I think its one of the most dangerous things we do with our horses travelling them
definitely agree with this, i am almost always on my own when out and about with a horse and I definitely feel the most vulnerable then. I rehearse and practice as many things as I can with them to make it as stress free as possible but I'm always aware of what they are doing and how they are reacting to things.
My established horses are lovely to take out and about but you still have to be so watchful.

Shoei

Visit site
I think when you travel on your own you may be more cautious. I always load in a hat, it only takes a freak accident for the horse to clip you unintentionally and I have upgraded my trailer safety systems, new floor and quick release breast bar as soon as I purchased it.

I have to say, I don't tend to have emergency contact details as accessible as they should but I noticed someone had details on a clip on lanyard type thing on their stable door at an event recently and I may look into getting something like this.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Bolt cutters are an amazing bit of kit to have in your arsenal with horses, we hve some at home but now inspired to buy a pair for the trailer, thank you!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I can only think of the ifor because I am planning on buying one... although I can't think how it managed to get its good in bars!!... I have decided against the tack lockers after HHO advice and the horror stories!
I’d be interested in seeing how the Eventa can be set up to carry tack and other horsey gubbins if it doesn’t have the tack lockers, I imagine it must then go in the living area. Can you update us when you get yours :)?

Leandy

Visit site
There seem to be numerous accidents involving wayward horses climbing on tack lockers. I'm not convinced they are safe although I have seen ones with a sloping top which presumably would be safer as they would just slide off if they tried climbing on them. I have an even greater horror of breast bars having seen and heard of a number of horses going over and getting stuck.

AFB

Visit site
I don't even have a first aid kit of any sort in my box. Will be stocking up before we go out next time. Horrific experience for you.

Reactions: BBP