Horse shopping - could use some help/opinions

blood_magik

Visit site
Not sure if this changes anything but the guys know how I ride (that’s one of them wandering around in the ring in my latest show video) and I have seen them turn around and say that horse isn’t suitable, I won’t sell it to you.

Also, I won’t sell horses on - in 22 years of owning horses I’ve only ever sold one and I regret it, even though I know he went to a fabulous home and will never want for anything.

whatever I buy will stay with me until it goes so it almost needs to be future proof, if you know what I mean?

Quadro

Visit site
I would say whilst the dealers you were at are genuine you will pay far more than the horse is worth. I have never ever seen a horse come out of that yard that isn't overpriced. I don't think they match the horse to the rider either. A friend has had 3 from them. All over 10k, and all ended up being sold as not what she wanted.

blood_magik

Visit site
I think at the end of the day, everything you’ve said is a risk you take when buying any horse. A horse is only worth what you’re willing to pay for it.

I’ve sent all of my videos off to my trainers so will see what they come back with. Not getting my hopes up just in case but I do like this one...

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ok everything you're saying makes sense and I'm sorry for your loss. But I think the thing I would hope that you actively know is that your options aren't limited to only these two horses. There are many more and I would lobby strongly that you keep looking until you find one that you KNOW when you ride is the ying to your yang.

You have time. You have money. Try to use both wisely and seek a bit further. I mean I'm in America and bought 2 horses that were closer to you without sitting on them. Trust me when I say there are many more out there.

Also and again no offense, you need to try a potential 1.30 horse over a bigger fence. I get nerves and all, I really do, but you're wanting this horse to take you to great heights. It has to show that it can, with you.

Em

Goldenstar

Visit site
When I bought Harvey .
I jumped two fences at 90cms on him .
I watched him jump ,I knew he had jumped a double clear at 1.30 the week before ( he was six ) .
All I wanted to feel was how he reacted to jumping on a loose rein and if he would hack without napping even if he was green to hack.
I don’t think if you have experiance and the horse has a record you need to jump a large fence at a trial .
I knew the moment the rider missed at a 1.30 spread and the horse just switched on its scope to get out of the bottom of the fence and clear it with them both in one piece I would buy him if he hacked down the lane without creating mayhem and he passed the vet .
You don’t need to pressure your self trying a horse .
BM good luck with this one at the vetting .
On the changes I think he may be changing a little croup high your trainer should be able to help you with this .
I can’t wait to hear about the vetting .

ihatework

Visit site
Ok everything you're saying makes sense and I'm sorry for your loss. But I think the thing I would hope that you actively know is that your options aren't limited to only these two horses. There are many more and I would lobby strongly that you keep looking until you find one that you KNOW when you ride is the ying to your yang.

You have time. You have money. Try to use both wisely and seek a bit further. I mean I'm in America and bought 2 horses that were closer to you without sitting on them. Trust me when I say there are many more out there.

Also and again no offense, you need to try a potential 1.30 horse over a bigger fence. I get nerves and all, I really do, but you're wanting this horse to take you to great heights. It has to show that it can, with you.

Em

Why do you need to try a 1.30 horse over a bigger fence when in the same paragraph it’s also okay to buy a ?1.20 horse without even sitting on it??

If my eye weren’t currently in at 1.30m then I wouldn’t want to be crashing & burning a horse! Maybe it’s a moot point given I personally barely jump a stick these days, but having seen plenty of competition horses sold in recent years you don’t need to set anyone up to fail.

I don’t know the OP, horse in question or the dealer. The horse looks like a really useful type and on paper ticks the boxes. I think the only thing the OP can sensibly do is take advice from their trainer who knows what, under the right guidance, they can or can’t manage.

Good luck OP, I hope it works out whatever you decide

blood_magik

Visit site
I actually prefer to buy unseen as I have no choice but to crack on with things when the horse comes home, but these guys are only 2 hours away in the car so it made sense to go and try the horse after seeing him jump.

My trainer has found me 4 cracking horses from various dealers over the years and never been wrong (I’ve sat on one before buying) and then I took a chance on Ellie, who I bought as an unbroken two year old.
The one I tried before buying I had to be persuaded to try again as I hated him the first time. He then proceeded to deck me and I fell in love and bought him 🙈

We did actually put a couple of fences up to 1.10m and the horse was perfect. And at the end of the day, if he’s not a good match once I get him home (assuming I buy him, of course) then I know that I can return him no questions asked.

Still waiting to hear from the boss man re vetting but have been dropping subtle hints about how much I like the horse for most of the day 😄

BunnyDog

Visit site
Why do you need to try a 1.30 horse over a bigger fence when in the same paragraph it’s also okay to buy a ?1.20 horse without even sitting on it.

The OP addressed this after both our posts but did you watch the video? The jumps shown were quite low given it was her second ride and she's got the goal of jumping 1.30. I'm not suggesting that she jump it a full course of bigger jumps but a horse will feel different at 1m compared to how it uses itself over jumps beyond 1.15. And that can affect the rider as well. Snapping the back can be a different feel than what happens over a low jump.

My simple point in making this comment was that for the OP, whose videos demonstrate confidence issues, it would make me more comfortable if I were her trainer, if she would try any potential purchases over something with some size (1.10m is fine and she did do that) before deciding that all is well when it appeared that she'd only popped over 1m and lower.

And yes buying without trying them works for me and it has for the OP as well, but it's not for everyone. I wouldn't myself suggest it to a friend who was just coming up the ranks and wasn't yet established in riding a diversity of horses though.

Em

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don’t know OP or where the horse is from and have no idea how much the horse is but you expect to pay more from a dealer but on the plus side you save so much time as the horse is there ready to show itself off the time it takes to deal with private buyers is a nightmare and worth imo paying a bit more for .
It makes not a jot that somelse knows someone who bought horses that did not suit because all OP needs to do is find a horse for herself .
It’s not the dealers fault you need to be charge of that yourself , it’s of things can cause issues after the horse comes home including not being able to maintain the horses stage of training because the new owner does not ride well enough and or have the right backup in terms of trainers and or riders .
I would not have bought Harvey at my age without knowing I had all the backup I might need in fact he’s been very easy.
Buying a talented scopey horse is just the beginning of the process it’s those who don’t realise that that slip up.
OP has her head screwed on the right way but the next hurdle is the pesky vetting .
I viewed Harvey on the Friday in Limerick he was vetted Saturday he was on a lorry on Monday and in his stable in Northumberland on Tuesday evening .
I was in agony on the morning of the vetting I sat and looked at the phone willing it to ring I expect OP will be a similar state .

blood_magik

Visit site
Honestly, the massive changes put me off so much that I jumped approx 2-3 cross poles and then got off the first time I viewed because I wasn’t comfortable at all. And then I was annoyed with myself for getting off because Ellie used to do much worse and I wasn’t at all bothered by that.

Changing saddle (I used my own with bigger knee blocks) and bit made a big difference. So technically yesterday was the first time I’d jumped him 🙂

Not sure if that makes a difference 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

blood_magik

Visit site
It’s not changing them so much as getting used to them.

Bigger knee blocks would definitely help - even the little ones on the saddle I used made a big difference 👌🏻

SpringArising

Visit site
I really like the horse. He has a great jump on him and looks very fancy!

I think @BunnyDog's point was that it's possible you're spending more than you need to when it doesn't seem as though you really need (or possibly are ready) for a 1.30 or 1.45 horse, from what you've written? I'm sure this horse could take you there by the looks of things but you as the rider also need to be able to ride the fences and the distances in between without being detrimental to the horse's back/mouth/way of going (not saying this is you!).

You said yourself that at the first viewing your confidence was so bad that you only jumped a few cross rails, so I guess (like BD said) if you were a friend, I would be saying Why don't you take the pressure off yourself, think about spending a bit less, and get you a horse that won't scare you and you feel capable riding, with enough scope just to build your confidence?

Goldenstar

Visit site
If he’s a nice horse with good character it does not matter if he’s more than she needs ( I don’t know OP so am taking no view on that at all ) .
I bought myself exactly such a horse but younger and I love every moment with him .
If OP likes him and can afford him it does not matter if she could get a horse that can do less cheaper .
Nothing beats sitting on a horse with a proper jump .
Your lucky if you can afford a horse like that but if you can why not enjoy it .

BunnyDog

Visit site
I am a bit confused, and maybe it's because I am from over here, but isn't the title of this thread "Horse shopping - could use some help/opinions"?

I mean I read that as the OP putting herself out there and asking for other members thoughts/opinions and by subsequent nature, advice.

I know that all horse people will do what they're going to do with or without the opinions of others, but I would be as firm footed with one of my closest friends if they were on the same path. Simply put overbuying doesn't ensure greater success, but it does guarantee that your bank account will be lighter and the pockets of the dealers will be fuller.

If OP wants to buy that horse above all others after only viewing 2 possibilities then I wish her well and hope it will all sort out. That's not what I would do but hey we're all different and a rail will drop for any of us on any given day so it really only matters what allows you to sleep at night. (Not that the OP will sleep that well before the vetting...:))

~Emily

SpringArising

Visit site
so tbh I think she is best placed to decide whether the horse is for her.

Sure, but she did ask for thoughts and comments so we can only comment on what we're seeing :) It didn't sound like OP was sure herself and I think when taking a big gamble and spending a lot of money, a few second opinions can be good, even if they're not always what you want to hear.

If he’s a nice horse with good character it does not matter if he’s more than she needs ( I don’t know OP so am taking no view on that at all )
Nothing beats sitting on a horse with a proper jump

Hmm, I disagree - how many times do we have threads on here where people have been over-horsed, bought something that's too much (physically or mentally) for them, and then been in bits because they can't decide what to do next? OP's already making a few excuses here and there about the changes, the saddle blocks etc. etc. for being the reason of not wanting to ride.

(This isn't aimed directly at OP) - it's fine to have dreams and aspirations but you also need to be realistic about your own level and not be detrimental to a horse in the process. Yeah, it's a good feeling to sit to a horse who can jump, but only if you CAN sit to that jump...

A good horse isn't always going to be a good horse and you shouldn't take that for granted.

Sounding malicious really isn't my intention and this thread's got a little bit de-railed. Whatever you decide OP I hope it all works out!

blood_magik

Visit site
To be fair, I wasn’t too sure about the changes but thought the second trial went much more positively. It is literally just the changes that has me questioning my ability to ride this horse and not the jump.

Spoke to my trainer as I’d asked him if I was possibly over-horsing myself last night and he said he had no reservations about going ahead if that was what I decided to do (given that he’s the one that will have to deal with the fallout if things go pearshaped once I get whichever horse I end up with home).

Yes, I could probably find something a little cheaper but it’s not about the money - it’s about finding something that’s the whole package (easy to deal with as I’m often on the yard by myself and not a lunatic under saddle).

If this one doesn’t work out then I will more than likely rethink things and probably go for something younger and a bit cheaper. I wouldn’t be able to get across to Holland or Ireland until probably March/April as that’s when the jumping season in Dubai finishes and my trainer can get away for a bit to help me look.

If I have to wait then I have to wait. Either way, it’s looking like there’s nothing else that could be suitable around just now. I’ve asked a few people to keep an eye out/speak to contacts and I’ve heard nothing back. 🤷‍♀️

Dad has said I can have Blue back to jump the bigger classes but I don’t really want to take blue off him if I don’t have to, you know? I love the horse and feel mega safe on him but he’s dads and I’ve already stolen one of his horses from him.

hihosilver

Visit site
To me he is a lovely horse that oozes talent and I thought for a second sit you looked like you clicked. I would buy him if I had the time and money. I hope he passes the vet!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
A horses jump won’t overface you a horse being tricky could .
OP is not a scared lady used to bumbling round 80 cm she got resource in terms of horses and help and if I remember correctly a fantastic yard with everything on site you need to get the best out of a horse like this .
If you have the money the price is irrelevant if you like the horse .
She has a trainer in place and is not going out on a limb without support .

blood_magik

Visit site
So looks like it’s a no, after all... so disappointed 😞

Guess I’ll be working on getting Blue fit to jump those bigger classes next year instead

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
So looks like it’s a no, after all... so disappointed 😞

Guess I’ll be working on getting Blue fit to jump those bigger classes next year instead

Oh dear , just crack on with the horses you have and keep putting the word around you never know what’s round the corner

blood_magik

Visit site
No, the boss had a few doubts and he’s decided we’re not going ahead - unfortunately for me, he’s the one with the money and won’t be swayed.

He’s suggesting we wait until the spring/summer and go back to VDL, which is where Blue came from.

Meh... I need wine.

SusieT

Visit site
i have to say I looked at him and wondered about the way he kicked his heels up - he is quite tight at times and quite 'sticky' after a big jump - wouldn't be my cup of tea for a horse I wanted to give me confidence.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Good advice from GS as usual.
Sorry it didn't work out this time BM. You'll find the right one that you are all happy with x

Wheels

Visit site
Aw that's a shame, nice looking beastie but I think it's maybe a blessing in disguise as you have just gone through a trauma with losing your young horse plus you weren't 100% sure about this one so may actually be better to wait x

alexomahony

Visit site
If he’s a nice horse with good character it does not matter if he’s more than she needs ( I don’t know OP so am taking no view on that at all ) .
I bought myself exactly such a horse but younger and I love every moment with him .
If OP likes him and can afford him it does not matter if she could get a horse that can do less cheaper .
Nothing beats sitting on a horse with a proper jump .
Your lucky if you can afford a horse like that but if you can why not enjoy it .

^^ I fully agree with this. It's nice to know you have the power there if you do decide to jump those bigger classes, but also, there's nothing wrong with having a horse capable of jumping bigger, but staying at 1.10-1.20. If you have the money, like the horse and he's a nice person he'll give your everything we all really need from our horses which is happiness!

I think the horse looks a lovely sort and he keeps a beautiful rhythm between the fences. He'll be a confidence builder for sure - I think a few months on, if he passes a vetting and you purchase he'll be teaching you all sorts. He looks to have a very bouncy canter with a lot of power behind and you'll soon learn to ride those changes.

If I had the money, he's be the kind of horse I'd be looking at for sure!

blood_magik

Visit site
Thought I’d update.

After pausing my search, last night I had a message last night from the girl I sold Lenny to almost three years ago saying she was considering selling and would I like first refusal on him?

Just waiting on her letting me know how much she’s wanting for him so 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻we can sort something out.

My plan now is to jump Blue and Beau in the bigger classes and have Henry (and hopefully Lenny) for the 1.05/1.10s, assuming we get to the bottom of what’s causing henry’s lameness (he’s booked in for a lameness workup Wednesday).