Horse shopping - what am I doing wrong?

lme

Visit site
Suggestions needed as I am coming to conclusion that I may be looking at the wrong type of horse or the wrong age group.

I am looking for a new mare to join our herd. She will be a long term horse for me (I like hacking and flatwork) and will probably also jump with my daughters (with professional help as needed). I like leggy, not too wide, athletic mares with a nice attitude. I want anything I buy to be worth breeding from in future as we already have 2 beautifully bred mares.

My thinking was that it would be best to go for a well bred young sports horse that hasn't done too much too young (looking mainly at nicely bred SJ mares that have gone to some shows / course hires). I'm not looking for a potential superstar (would be v happy with one that is a nice person but proved herself not talented enough for a professional) but I'm still finding it hard to find one that has clean X rays, will pass a vet and doesn't require a second mortgage.

Should I be looking at older horse or at a different type? ATM I am mainly trawling FB / Horsequest. Is there a better approach? I think we're a nice long term home and I think my budget is OK.

lme

Visit site
Maybe consider looking at PBA's and Anglo-Arabs? They are sadly out of fashion, so don't command big prices compared to the in fashion horses or bloodlines but should be able to do everything you want easily.
Thanks - not averse to Anglo-Arabs but they are not that common. I’m not looking for super fashionable but know I like the way of going of SJ bred WBs. Also wondering about pure TBs.

Teaboy

Visit site
You can get some seriously classy TBs, you just have to know what your looking at. Smart WBs that are nice people and relatively straightforward and young will cost a premium and if they aren’t advertised at such I’d question whether there isn’t something wrong with it physically (perhaps what your finding at the vetting stage).

millikins

Visit site
You don't indicate what your budget is. A colleague's daughter produces horses that fit your description, young SJ warmbloods probably suited to amateur BS or top end riding club. Not my cup of tea but they look like nice horses, not overcooked and her prices seem mainly £10-12,000 which seems realistic,

lme

Visit site
You can get some seriously classy TBs, you just have to know what your looking at. Smart WBs that are nice people and relatively straightforward and young will cost a premium and if they aren’t advertised at such I’d question whether there isn’t something wrong with it physically (perhaps what your finding at the vetting stage).[/

Thanks teapot - not sure I know where to start with TBs. I do like them but slightly worried re long term damage from being started young.

lme

Visit site
Millikins -
You don't indicate what your budget is. A colleague's daughter produces horses that fit your description, young SJ warmbloods probably suited to amateur BS or top end riding club. Not my cup of tea but they look like nice horses, not overcooked and her prices seem mainly £10-12,000 which seems realistic,
That sounds like what I am looking for - could you send me contact details?