Horse sore after first barefoot trim , is this normal ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'd agree that terramyacin works (I'd always call that blue spray too) but I've been told by vets that it nips when used on thrush? Personally I'd prefer a gentler approach given that you need to handle the feet at least once daily to treat initially.
I find the terramycin spray by far the best thing.

Reactions: TPO

Tacobell

Visit site
So I’m going to treat the thrush . But dealing with the horse at the present time, do we think potentially to wrap up his feet with a nappy, veg wrap , duct tape just to keep him comfy ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I'd agree that terramyacin works (I'd always call that blue spray too) but I've been told by vets that it nips when used on thrush? Personally I'd prefer a gentler approach given that you need to handle the feet at least once daily to treat initially.
Oh, I have used it before and they haven't had a reaction. I have used it on wounds too, without a fuss.

TPO

Visit site
So I’m going to treat the thrush . But dealing with the horse at the present time, do we think potentially to wrap up his feet with a nappy, veg wrap , duct tape just to keep him comfy ?

Have a read on Horse Geek about EP pads. They are probably the best thing in this situation. They can be duct taped on for very short-term situations but better inside a hoof boot. Cavallos prob thr best starter boot especially for using pads.

paddy555

Visit site
what is your "go to" treatment for thrush? ideally something i can pick up from naylors on way to yard this aft?
if not, i can order something but with it being friday.. i wont get it till early next week
soak for around 15 minutes either with soaking boots or a bucket with copper sulphate solution. (Mole certainly stock it) then clean out the central sulchus thoroughly at least once daily by stuffing cotton wool deeply into it with a hoof pic. Cleaning twice a day would be even better. I don't smother it with anything. After cleaning I want it to remain open to the air and as dry as possible.
Cut off any flappy bits of frog and also any slimy diseased bits. Scissors work well for this if you haven't got a hoof knife.

I don't think the farrier has done that bad a job, it is more a case possibly that he hasn't been aware of how sore thrush can make a horse. I think farriers see thrush so often in the horses they shoe that they just think it is normal so don't bother to mention it.
Sole pics would be good

Reactions: TPO

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Don't dress the hoof as a matter of course - you need to get as much air around the area as possible, as thrush thrives in an atmosphere devoid of oxygen. Boots and pads are good to start off the exercise routine once you feel he is comfortable. Please bear in mind that as he works without shoes, the internal structures of the hoof start to change shape, and the unfamiliar stresses and strains could throw an abscess. Entirely possible you will see more lameness over the next few months but please give him a chance before slapping shoes back on. It is a slow process.