Horse stabled permenantly!

Caritas

Visit site
As the title says, what are peoples opinions on a horse being happily kept in all day everyday due to previous injuries caused through being silly when turned out. I know a lot of people say that it is not natural to stable a horse but we as owners have domesticated them. My horse has had several injuries due to be turned out and if i turn him out again I feel this could be in detriment to his future and feel it may shorten his life expectancy. He is happy being stabled and surely with work, walker excercise etc he can still have a great quality of life. Opinions please without being judgemental, and if anyone knows of any other horses that live this way I would like to hear how they cope. Many thanks

ladyt25

Visit site
I think no matter how much we have domesticated animals I think they still deserve the chance to do what comes naturally. I don't believe we can wrap them up in cotton wool the same as we can't with children - you wouldn't keep a child locked in doors just because he/she kept injruiong themselves when they were outside!

You say you are concerned it may shorten it's life expectancy being turned out but in my opinion I don't think being shut in a box for the majority of its time is any sort of life at all anyway. When does it ever get the chance to truly stretch it's legs or have a good buck, gallop and cavort about?

Taffster

Visit site
My horse goes out for short periods daily now hes at the producers he doesnt seem to mind at all and as you he gets ridden everyday. It isnt unheard of but is it not possible to turn out in menage or anything for a short period on his own?

Skhosu

Visit site
No, sorry, that is to suit you and not your horse. Horses are not designed to be caged (which without the pretty name is what a stable is) If he is fit enough to be worked his is fit enough to be turned out,Walker and exercise do not compare.
Why exactly are you wanting to keep him in? It's tempting to wrap them up in cotton wool but not practical or fair on the horse.

Caritas

Visit site
This is getting very abusive already and very judgemental, it is certainly not to suit ME!!
He is very difficult to turn out and has problems with his off hind leg, he spins on this when being turned out and has recently very badly damaged his tendon sheath, this is the second time in not so many months. I hate to see horse stuck in but I think we moreso give it a human atribute instead of thinking of the horses welfare. Its surely more unfair seeing a horse crippled lame everytime he goes out than being happy and still having a life!!

alsxx

Visit site
Accidents happen and whilst it is always sad they cannot be prevented. I would certainly not keep something in to prevent it from possibly injuring itself, even if it was a loony tune.

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, but that wont stop you crossing the road.

somethingorother

Visit site
By future do you mean career? He could injure himself in a stable easily enough, as we all know they can always find something to cut half a leg off on etc.

I don't think you can compare work and horse walker to being turned out. He has no freedom of movement at all, to run and buck and spin. I think it actually helps a horses natural balance and athleticism to be turned out. What injuries has he sustained? If he has tendon issues etc then i would be wary of how much work he can do, if it is cuts etc then i would check your field for sharp and dangerous objects.

Sorry but i just don't think it's fair, even though i know a lot of horses 'cope'. Also i'm sure that breathing disorders, stomach ulcers and stress responses or 'vices' are more common in 'coping' stabled horses.

Kenzo

Visit site
It all goes against what a horse is, they are a heard animal, every part of there body is designed to be out living in field as part of heard free to roam.
A domesticated horse should have the choice to be out with other horses or at least have the company of grazing animal.

However there is the odd exception I know, some horses don't like being out (strange I know) others are too dangerous to be turned out, be it to themselves or people. but I think you have to take every measure you can to prevent the horse from doing so, so they can lead a natural life as much as possible.

Rollin

Visit site
I personally would never stable 24/7 I think it is cruel to contain an animal which has evolved to roam the steppes and plains, into a 12' square box, without social interaction or companionship.

You say your horse is happy with this and it is to avoid injury. Would your horse be 'happier' if he had more freedom? If you need to stop him doing silly things do you not have the option to give him a small paddock attached to his stable perhaps with temporary fencing?

As I said that is my personal management choice.

charlie55

Visit site
Yes i do know a bloke that keeps his horse in everyday, all day, and he is only ridden twice a week, and thats the only time he comes out of the stable!!! I hate it and think its very cruel...

In your case, although i wouldnt keep mine in 24-7, i think its the owners choice, and as long as they are out doing things everyday, i dont think its cruel as such, just not natural and not something id want done to me to be honest. But at the end of the day, its your horse so only your choice x

alsxx

Visit site
I know all about tendon sheath issues, my mare has had this for the last 10 months, and unfortunately they are the kind of niggly little thing that can flare up very easily. I certainly wouldn't choose to keep her in because of it. I have actually just turned her out at grass for a year off! She will either sort herself out, or she wont.

Taffster

Visit site
We must not forget that most stallions are kept stabled 24/7 again before you all jump down my throat i did say most!
And these have more of a need to get out and do there own thing

somethingorother

Visit site
I wrote my post whilst you were writing yours Kiasmom. So it is tendon problems, which work will not necessarily be any better for than turnout depending on what you do with them. Ok so he spins on his bad leg, i can understand that being a problem. Is assume he is bandaged accordingly for turnout. What i would say is, how long is he turned out at the moment?

It can often be worse to only turn them out for an hour 'to avoid injury' as they go bonkers at the freedom and prat about. I know some horses like this who will cope better on 24 hour turnout, as they are usually calmer and not so excitable.

bubbaloonie

Visit site
As much as I hate the idea of a horse being kept in all the time, my laminitic pony is kept in (albeit in a huuuuge stable, it's an old cattle pen) 23 hours a day. She manages fine and actually relishes the routine these days. She does love her limited time out though so maybe just that short period of freedom makes the difference.

Whilst in Hong Kong I visited a friend's yard where all the horses stay inside 24/7 simply cos there is no grazing, despite great other facilities (it's where they had the XC part of the olympic eventing). As ex-racehorses they were all slightly bonkers and pretty wound up though.

Jo C

Visit site
I have to stable mine 24/7 for long periods of time periodically, he has an allergy to grass and is also laminitic, he doesn't mind one little bit and is so much healthier as a result. Ideally of course I'd like to turn him out but realistically this just isn't possible all the time so he will spend 6 weeks or so stabled 24/7. Shoot me down all you like, I know he is healthier for it.

RhiannonE

Visit site
I personally wouldn't keep my horse stabled all the time but in the stable opposite my horse (we're in a barn) the two horses there go out for about an hour or two hours a day and only when the owner is around (whilst she mucks out etc for example). She has a field right by the stable and can grab them in if they go mad (which they rarely do actually).
I know she has had horses die of colic and injuries out in the field and so doesn't want her two now getting injured. I personally don't agree with it but these two do seem to like their routine and actually will pine to come in after two hours.

The other competition horses on our yard (the majority of them that means!) go out for a few hours in the morning and come in at lunch and then are ridden in the afternoon and that suits them very well. Is there a way you could perhaps limit turnout but not stop it altogether?

x

EmbarrassingEllie

Visit site
Recently my horse has had a frightening amount of injuries in safe paddocks so understand the wish to wrap up with cotton wool, however as much as she appears to be settled when bandaged and on box rest due to injury, she does seem to become unsettled when well again and I would be worried about creating further problems such as colic, ulcers etc by keeping her in. Hope you find a solution
confused.gif
And I am sure you have your horses best interests at heart.

connie1288

Visit site
I have with work kept my horse in 24/7, she adjusted very easily and as you say they will be getting regular exercise.
I personally would not have any problems with it, if you feel it is the best for your horse.
It can be very nerve racking turning out your precious loon!!

little_flea

Visit site
This discussion and similar ones has been had many a time on here - HHO users overall appear to object very strongy to horses not being turned out - however, there are lots of horses that don't go out much, and certainly in some areas, no turnout during the winter season is pretty standard. I don't believe all those horses are the victims of cruelty.

I certainly prefer my horse to be out as much as possible, but ultimately I have chosen to have a horse for my own enjoyment - as many of us do - it is my hobby and though it is our job as owners to ensure our horses are as happy as possible I think there are a lot of aspects of horse ownership and riding that could be seen as less than desirable (do horses enjoy being ridden for example - or are they just conditioned to it). Obviously we all strive to strike a balance between the health/cost/safety/ of ourselves and our animals, but sometimes daily turnout is just not possible. I think that in those cases you just have to make the best of the situation - make sure the horse has his stable in an interesting place where he can look at stuff, break up the day as much as possible, spend more time grooming, grazing in hand etc.

As you all know, a lot of competition horses for example don't get turned out and still perform very well and seem like happy animals - they have been bred and conditioned for a purpose, and I don't think you can generalise so much as to say that a horse who does not get turned out necessarily is unhappy or has a bad life.

golddustsara

Visit site
Perhaps he is a bit mad when turned out as he doesn't get turned out enough. Why not turn him out 24/7 and then he won't hoon around the field. My boy is out 365 days a year (rugged in winter) and has turned so placid its unbelievable. I just think being in 24/7 makes a horse miserable and they need t/o for physical and mental wellbeing.

Persephone

Visit site
I had my mare PTS because due to recurrent uncontrollable laminitis (cushings induced) she could not even manage three hours a day at grass. She was 8 years old and I believe she would have had a pretty sorry existence had I kept her.

Zorrosmum

Visit site
I have a stallion and whilst in the summer he is out most of the day he will not stay out in winter be it 10 mins or an hour he just charges around until you get him in again so whilst i have tried on several occasions to keep him out for few hours i felt that it was not worth the risk to leave him out and to be honest he is happier in in the winter so pretty much all winter hes in 24/7 obviously with plenty of exercise and toys to play with but it hasnt done him any harm

somethingorother

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This discussion and similar ones has been had many a time on here - HHO users overall appear to object very strongy to horses not being turned out - however, there are lots of horses that don't go out much, and certainly in some areas, no turnout during the winter season is pretty standard. I don't believe all those horses are the victims of cruelty.

I certainly prefer my horse to be out as much as possible, but ultimately I have chosen to have a horse for my own enjoyment - as many of us do - it is my hobby and though it is our job as owners to ensure our horses are as happy as possible I think there are a lot of aspects of horse ownership and riding that could be seen as less than desirable (do horses enjoy being ridden for example - or are they just conditioned to it). Obviously we all strive to strike a balance between the health/cost/safety/ of ourselves and our animals, but sometimes daily turnout is just not possible. I think that in those cases you just have to make the best of the situation - make sure the horse has his stable in an interesting place where he can look at stuff, break up the day as much as possible, spend more time grooming, grazing in hand etc.

As you all know, a lot of competition horses for example don't get turned out and still perform very well and seem like happy animals - they have been bred and conditioned for a purpose, and I don't think you can generalise so much as to say that a horse who does not get turned out necessarily is unhappy or has a bad life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that was QR and not aimed at me? (i do it too though)

I don't think it is cruel to keep any horse kept in. I just think generally better for them to be out. Competition horses are actually most at risk of ulcers and other problems due to their high stress lifestyle and i imagine it often takes a lot to balance that out with all sorts of supplements. If everything else has been tried and there is no way to keep your horse happy on turnout then stabling is the only possibility left. But i think it should be a last resort. They are domesticated but are still horses with a need to have time to let off steam or even just chill and mooch about.

I know of quite a few people who insist their horses are happy stabled full time. Any outsider looking at the horse minus 'mums' rose tainted glasses can see they are not as happy as they could be. Head bobbing, cribbing, box walking, looking dejected, weaving, biting, putting ears back and becoming grumpy 'for no reason' to name but a few.

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
My horse lived for seven years boxed 24/7, then moved into a pen 7m x 10m which he shared with one other. He's now in or out depending on the weather but is quite happy in a stable all day as long as he is aware of other horses nearby. For him it's being alone that causes the most stress. Do what is best for you and him.

Dobby

Visit site
Horses should not be kept in 24/7. What kind of life is that for them just because their owner doesn't want them to injure themselves? They can get injured inside the stable or when our riding. I would never keep a horse in all the time, it's verging on cruelty.

How about the OP thinks about what she would do if she wasn't allowed to leave her bedroom - ever?

Visit site
I think it would be possible but it would really depend on your horse's personality as to whether he would be happy or not. He may be ok at the moment but after staying in for a couple of months he could become bored, depressed and even aggressive. I know a few horses who have obviously spent a lot of time in their stables in the past and are now very dominant and sometimes agressive towards people whilst they are stabled, but perfectly happy in the field. I certainly would never consider stabling a horse 24/7 as I beleive they should be allowed to live naturally for at least part of the time.

Another option could be to turn your horse out on his own so that he doesn't get kicked by another horse, etc. How did your horse injure himself? Turnout socks can help to protect legs and prevent injury.

Hope this

Spyda

Visit site
What if you can't catch your horse, kept outside? One that is really, really bloody minded about it, even kept in a small paddock? Just wondering....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's not how I would wish to keep a horse. And would look for ways in which he can be kept safe and injury free on individual turnout.