Horse treats low sugar … treats brands

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi guys,
Asking for a friend … who’s thinking of setting up a horse treat business …

1) What low sugar horse treat brands company do you know ?

2) What’s important to you when buy horse treat ie sugar, fibre, starch content , Flavour, brand ?

3) Would you prefer one flavour or mixed flavours ?

4) What do you think with the term “home made horse” ?

5) Would you buy off a less know brand ?

thanks in advance

Goldenstar

Visit site
Silvermoor treatises

Like low sugar decent sized that don’t crumble in the pocket .

One ,mine like beetroot

Not sure what a home made horse is

Yes

Mary3050

Visit site
Silvermoor treatises

Like low sugar decent sized that don’t crumble in the pocket .

One ,mine like beetroot

Not sure what a home made horse is

Yes
Thank you by home made horse treat she means how you see people selling homemade chaff treats on Facebook .

TGM

Visit site
Is your friend aware that there are very strict rules in the UK governing the manufacturing and selling of horse treats? There are a lot of hoops to jump through in terms of listing ingredients, analysis etc. You can't just cook up a batch in your kitchen and start selling them. (Well you can, but once you start advertising it is likely that trading standards will be made aware and insist that regulations are followed or they will shut you down.)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't know any brand (except perhaps Polo).

I use dried rosehips. They are reasonably healthy.

Polos and dried rosehips in their original guise.

My horse doesn't need mixed flavours. I rarely feed treats and a dried rosehip or soft, hairy, old Polo from the bottom of my pocket is like treasure to them.

I have no idea what that means, I bought my horse, he wasn't home made.

I guess any mints would be welcome. The dried rosehips were off ebay and I can't remember the brand.

SO1

Visit site
I use treats for stretches. I go for mollasses free. Currently using feedmark muscle treats. However I get a forelock and fringe box every other month that normally has some treats in so I just use what I get in there. Hiltons herballs with oregano went down well. However the muscle treats with beetroot pony goes absolutely mad for.

I probably wouldn't buy anything off Facebook. I prefer the treats that look like nuts rather than cookies they don't tend to crumble so much and have a longer shelf life/easier to store. I think people may go for a treat that also has some herbs or ingredients that are perceived to help with weight control such as a magnesium treat.

Nasicus

Visit site
1) What low sugar horse treat brands company do you know ?
Equilibrium, Silvermoor, Hilton Herbs

2) What’s important to you when buy horse treat ie sugar, fibre, starch content , Flavour, brand ?
Sugar & starch content, shape and size for ease of feeding and carrying in pockets. I like a chunky nut shape.

3) Would you prefer one flavour or mixed flavours ?
Mine will literally eat anything if it comes from my hand, so they're not fussed.

4) What do you think with the term “home made horse” ?
Homemade usually comes with a pricetag that I'm not all that willing to pay, especially for the quantities they come in relation to the size of the animal they're being fed do.

5) Would you buy off a less know brand ?
I'm happy to buy from a large brand that mass produces, as it keeps the cost down for me, the product is consistent and I know there's lots of checks and tests in place to keep it safe. I can buy a 20kg bag of Equerry Minty Treats for £15 and have treats for ages.

Mary3050

Visit site
Is your friend aware that there are very strict rules in the UK governing the manufacturing and selling of horse treats? There are a lot of hoops to jump through in terms of listing ingredients, analysis etc. You can't just cook up a batch in your kitchen and start selling them. (Well you can, but once you start advertising it is likely that trading standards will be made aware and insist that regulations are followed or they will shut you down.)

Yes she is it’s a longer term project … she a scientist working in the food industry so she thinks this is fun ? interesting though makes you wonder how many of these people selling on Facebook meet theses.

Auslander

Visit site
I'd like something the size of a large carrot, that the horse could easily bite a chunk off, so that I don't risk my fingers doing carrot stretches.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I just buy a bag of Bailey's Fibre Plus Nuggets and offer those. Much less expensive than a bag of treats and I've never found a horse that refused them - especially my little cob who is nearly always on restricted grass! He is also careful about taking food from my hand so they work well for 'carrot' stretches too.

suestowford

Visit site
I get NAF Hedgy treats for mine. I spent 20 mins or so reading all the ingredients lists on the packets in the shop one day, and this was the only one with no added sugar. So that's how I choose horse treats.