Horse treats

Rulla

Visit site
Hi everyone,
does anybody use horse treats? what do your horses and ponies like best. Apart from carrots and apples.
Thanks for your input xx

catkin

Visit site
Sugar-free polos or Herballs - but they have to 'earn' them rather than them being dished out when asked for (cheeky native ponies). So they are know as 'salary' in this household rather than treats :)

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Bailey's fibre nuggets - everyone likes them and much cheaper than a bag of actual treats. Carrots in winter - I share a sack with another livery. We don't in summer as carrots go too soft. Mine are also partial to a slice of bread now and again - the packet did say 'cob' on it after all :D

pansymouse

Visit site
I use Thunderbrooks Hay Cobs; they're equine catnip, even my very aloof non-food orientated mare will do her cute friendly face to get one. The ponies are all over my like a cheap suit when I have them in my pocket. I'm not a liberal treater so a 15kg bag lasts me about a year (I think it costs about £17).

npage123

Visit site
Watermelon in summer - refreshing, hydrating and tasty! Although I have to admit I've not done it in the UK yet, as watermelon is so expensive over here. Bet the poor Australian horses, struggling to cope with the heatwave, would love watermelons. But if they can't even afford to give them water...:(

ozpoz

Visit site
When we moved down here my horse discovered pears. He thinks they are beyond delicious, and I look for windfalls every day in the summer. He does better stretches for organic carrots and will have a polo or two for excellence.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As several have said above, "Baileys Fibre Nuggets" a4re ideal as a treat. You get a 20kg bag for around £12.00. Buying them is far cheaper than buying a bucket of treats & they last forever.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Pure feeds horse treats for mine because they are low in sugar and starch. Otherwise she'd have Bailey's fibre nuggets quite happily. Granny horse was partial to a stud muffin too. But they aren't every day treats.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Mine generally have pure treats.
Realised they are just as happy with grass pellets, as I had those in my pockets today. Recently bought a big tub of bailey’s as wanted a bucket with a lid to soak feed in!

pistolpete

Visit site
I’m even stingier! Mike Valley pony nuts about £7 for 20kgs. Ponies love them. Agrobs weisencobs are not supposed to be fed dry EVER. I had a pony colic while on them. They’d been soaked but possibly not enough :-(