Horse tried to roll whilst riding today :O(

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Crickey my back hurts :(

We rode just around the fields this morning as we still have quite a bit of snow. The horses were being really good when we went through what I felt was really deep snow, I could feel my girls legs going down, thought she was struggling and gave her her head. My friend looked over and shouted out to kick but it was too late, the little bugger went down on her knees at which point I did a Franky Dettori and managed to jump off/scramble off and she started to roll :rolleyes: luckily it clicked in her dozy brain that she still had her saddle on and she changed her mind and stood back up. It frightened the life out of me, I thought she was collapsing!!

I managed to get back on from the ground and made sure I kicked her on for the rest of the ride!!

My back is killing me tonight as is my hip, painkillers are just not touching it :( Hopefully a good nights sleep will help

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
used to work in a stables in Oz and when we hit the beach the horses would try to roll in the shallows, just had to stay on and keep kicking and they'd get up again. if we got off there'd be no stopping them rolling!!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I honestly had no idea what was happening, never had a horse do that to me before. My brain just didn't work quickly enough and I really thought she was collapsing :eek: Bet that was fantastic working in Oz :D

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Ed tries this on soft sand, he literally buckles with no warning, so I have to keep him jollying forward with his head right up!
Hope you feel better soon hun x

horsecrazy25

College In the week, home on the weekends :)
Visit site
awwww. was out hunting other week before all this yucky weather and we were going threw some really boggy mud and this man gave his horse its head as he thought it was trying 2 itch its leg but no it got down and rolled in this mud then ran off down to bottom of field, both horse and rider were fine :) also my friends horse also did this in the hunting field and she thought her horse collapsed of a heart attack scared the life out of her!!

<<hugs>> hope you feel better tomorrow x

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Ed tries this on soft sand, he literally buckles with no warning, so I have to keep him jollying forward with his head right up!
Hope you feel better soon hun x

Thats what I did for the rest of the ride, head up and kick on!!!

Glad that I'm not the only one its happened too, my friend was wetting herself laughing :D Hopefully my back will feel better in the morning :rolleyes:

Horsecrazy - thats what I thought was happening at first, my face was a picture apparentley!!

NeilM

Visit site
Harry tried to roll the first time I took him over soft dry sand.....with his new leather saddle on! Fol gave it a go a few weeks back, right in the middle of a muddy stream with my OH on board.

mulledwhine

Visit site
used to work in a stables in Oz and when we hit the beach the horses would try to roll in the shallows, just had to stay on and keep kicking and they'd get up again. if we got off there'd be no stopping them rolling!!

That is scarey, it happened to my 4 year old little girl a few weeks ago at the beach, luckily she knew it was happening and jumped off.

Well done for getting off in time

Kokopelli

Visit site
This brings images of a little girl I was teaching at camp, her pony was walking back from xc and literally just started rolling I thought she was squished but she was okay pony had a bit of colic though!

It was rather scary for my first time assistant teaching at camp :p

Glad you got away okay and your saddle didn't break from it, and hope you feel better tomorrow, have you tries extra strength pain killers? Or ibuprofen and paracetimol together? :) Woks wonders for me

holzrokz

Visit site
this used to happen to me quite a lot when riding a certain few horses at an old riding stables (i was like 13)

I could never stop them in time, but thankfully they would just get down on their knees, let me roll off and then try and roll lol. Wasn't until i was older that i realised quite how dangerous it could be! i can tell when its coming now (usually) but sometimes they just surprise you :p

Well done for jumping off frankie dettorii style :D