Horse tunout at Olympia - no one likes an armchair critic.....

Ravenwood

Visit site
Am I the only one who was cringing at the turnout of horses at Olympia so far?

No one likes an armchair critic and never in my life will I ride at that level - LOL, but OMG I would shoot the grooms for turnout!

I loved every single minute of the Freestyle dressage to music and watching Charlotte break the world record but all I could think was, at least her groom pulls the horse's tail!

Good Grief - I wanted to cut at least 6 inches off all those horse's tails and why doesn't anyone plait tails anymore? If you can't be bothered to plait at least pull the tail! Elberg's horses tail was plaited but what a mess!

Then onto the Puissance - fabulous viewing, I rode and jumped every stride with them but at the same time I was screaming out - FFS, plait that mane/tail!

I can't understand it - surely the groom, who is so priviledged to work to such a high standard, would want to turn their horse out to the highest degree? So why does no one plait anymore or trim or at least tidy them up? They all look such a mess!

Oh dear - warning, old biddy hits the forum time :eek:

PS: Sorry - I don't seem to be able to edit the title to correct the typo!

Feival

Visit site
Are you joking? a privilege to 'work at such a high standard'. These grooms are payed peanuts, treated like **** and one in particular rider in the puissance, rings them in the middle of the night and expects them to clip a horse out there and then, That's no privilege. I could tell you so much more, as a close friend has just returned home from working for him.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Are you joking? a privilege to 'work at such a high standard'. These grooms are payed peanuts, treated like **** and one in particular rider in the puissance, rings them in the middle of the night and expects them to clip a horse out there and then, That's no privilege. I could tell you so much more, as a close friend has just returned home from working for him.

yes this is true on pretty much all 'top' yards. Its the name on CV that is the good thing

Feival

Visit site
I can understand that, but sometimes Things like no heating in the staff house, because boss man wont pay the bill, no leave when a family member is nearing the end of a terminal illness, etc is not worth the name on the CV.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
I can understand that, but sometimes Things like no heating in the staff house, because boss man wont pay the bill, no leave when a family member is nearing the end of a terminal illness, etc is not worth the name on the CV.

I agree its not worth the name but lots of people think it is and so do future employers

NZJenny

Visit site
LOL - I went from showing to endurance and I still can't bear to ride a horse with an untidy mane and tail.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
I was commenting on this tonight with my mum; most of the GBR riders are unplaited, whilst most non GBR are plaited! But agree about the tails, don't understand it personally!

I understand that the grooms work tirelessly, it's not easy and paid peanuts, but even so, if anyone knows which horses they turned out, well I would be embarrassed if it were me... Though saying that, clips were spot on, no clipper lines... Lol

Bexcy-bee x

Equinus

Visit site
Speaking as an ex groom, I was told how the owners wanted the horse turned out (hunters, dressage, pointers, show) and I expect show jumpers are no different. If the rider/owner wants free tails and no plaits that's what they get, it's not up to the grooms. I have worked for both types, there was no choice, except a walk down the road!

How rude to blame the employee.

Patterdale

Visit site
Speaking as an ex groom, I was told how the owners wanted the horse turned out (hunters, dressage, pointers, show) and I expect show jumpers are no different. If the rider/owner wants free tails and no plaits that's what they get, it's not up to the grooms. I have worked for both types, there was no choice, except a walk down the road!

This.

asmp

Visit site
I've always thought that a free mane must be more comfortable for a horse when jumping (this is from someone who for weeks has thought they must pull their horses mane as it's too long at the moment - perhaps after Xmas when I have more time!)

Booboos

Visit site
Some people no longer like pulling tails, why does it bother you so much OP? Seems like a completely pointless rant.

As for the puissance I imagine riders may appreciate something extra to hold onto if anything goes wrong!

twiggy2

Visit site

THIS, why does anyone think the groom get a choice.

I look after a cob cross Irish sports horse and when she arrived she had a pulled tail and that is how it stayed till the end of last year when owners decided they want it grown out-she has a great big thick bushy tail that ten horses would be happy sharing, clipped out legs that would be very hairy if left and has a plaited mane for eventing/jumping/dressage-so a bit of everything but it is not my choice just do as I am told.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Honestly, I hadn't really noticed - too busy watching what the horses actually DO ;).

I did clock one of the SJers with about a gazillion plaits and wondered how comfortable that would be stretching over the fence . . . but aside from that I was far too focussed on riding style/performance, etc.

Incidentally, Kal's tail isn't pulled - and when we SJ neither his mane nor his tail are plaited . . . however, it is snow white, beautifully trimmed and silky smooth. I think he looks smart ;).

P

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I noticed the messy plait in the freestyle dressage, but only noticed it as it was messy!

As for the non-plaited manes - they were all impeccably pulled and trimmed so neat and tidy in their own right. As someone else said, for the puissance, it is extra to hold onto. You could argue that Guy Williams (I think, although now can't see on the pictures) stirrup leather grab strap looked unprofessional and untidy :p

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Err, grooms rarely decide how a horse is turned out, either rider or owner do that as others have said above.

Pulling tails is a question of taste, not a question of laziness.

I think many dont plait manes while jumping to try not to affect the horse in any small way when jumping. Plus it's useful to have so something to grab if needed, the reason many eventers will not plait for Xc when at a 3 day.

twiggy2

Visit site
As for the non-plaited manes - they were all impeccably pulled and trimmed so neat and tidy in their own right. As someone else said, for the puissance, it is extra to hold onto. You could argue that Guy Williams (I think, although now can't see on the pictures) stirrup leather grab strap looked unprofessional and untidy :p

I agree about the grab strap and did notice it, my first thought was 'sensible man' that mare is a handful and good for him trying to save her mouth and his 'hide' if needed

Frosty89

Visit site
Having worked as a groom in the past, it certainly isn't up to the groom to decide how the horse is turned out.

I know nothing really of dressage turnout but having worked on SJ yards mains are generally left un-plaited because it's more conformable for the horse when stretching over the fence and it's something to hold on to if need be. As for the tails it's personal preference, I personally can't stand pulled tails.

cptrayes

Visit site
Personally I'm glad that the fashion for ripping hair out of horses manes and tails is dying off. Many of them find it very painful and are forced to ensure it for no more reason than Kate Moss wears sunglasses indoors.

What's wrong with a mane and tail as nature intended if it doesn't interfere with what the horse is being asked to do?

Last edited:

catkin

Visit site
Depends on what your eye is used to seeing too perhaps

I've got wash'n'go natives so I can't see what's 'unsmart' about a bit of hair........

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Personally I'm glad that the fashion for ripping hair out of horses manes and tails is dying off. Many of them find it very painful and are forced to ensure it for no more reason than Kate Moss wears sunglasses indoors.

What's wrong with a mane and tail as nature intended if it doesn't interfere with what the horse is being asked to do?

This ^^^ totally. Fashion is just fashion and I'm sure the horses would prefer to be left in as natural a state as possible. Long tails on dressage horses has been the fashion for as long as I can remember: bang tails are for hunters slopping through mud.

LongInTheTooth

Visit site
Cptrayes pretty much said what I feel.

What's important to me is how nicely, or not, the horse is going and what calibre the horse/rider relationship. I've never understood how making your horse sore and irritated prior to entering the ring will help your performance.
Now then horse! Try you heart out and bascule beautifully for me yet I shall impede your efforts by making your neck sore......

Surely if the horse is clean and tidy that's enough? Maybe it is just me.
Sorry, the autist in me must point out there is a 't' in turnout.... :D

RunToEarth

Visit site
I agree some of the horses didn't look well turned out, and my pet hate is blocking manes off, it looks horrendous.

But I would say it was absolutely nothing to do with the grooms, I have yet to meet one who has any say over turnout, and sadly plaiting is not as highly regarded in the SJ world.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I bet if the groom had put a single hair in the wrong place for most of these riders, they would have been out their ear with no pay off or reference. It's a nasty world for grooms.

dianchi

Visit site
Grooms getting a raw deal yet again :(

Riders and owners decide the horses turnout and that is what you do! Luca's mare had those silly bunches in (personally don't like them) but as the horse was in a snaffle, no martingale, no shocker that the fact the horse was turned out natural.

HOWEVER they are showjumping not showing so what does it matter???!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I hate pulled tails and won't inflict them on my horses I love the look of a long full tail thick and all combed through.
That's nothing to do with standards for dressage it's perfectly usual for dressage horses to be presented with natural tails.
The standard of turnout in the dressage at that level is very very good the horses look awesome .
I don't cut my tails until they are touching the ground in summer and they get a trim going into winter .
Hunters get them cut a bit shorter so they don't get irritated by them on muddy days.
A groom once cut the tail on my ASB they are presented with very long tails he has a fab full wavy tail we still laugh about my face when I went into the stable .