Horse Vans ?

skye01

Visit site
So me and my mum are looking at getting a horse van, i just wanted to know people's opinions about them. I can't seem to find a lot online about them.
We already have a trailer but i can't tow myself nor do i have the car to do so, i rely on my mum. With a van we could both drive it, and we feel it'd be safer. We cannot afford a proper little lorry so we feel this is a nice middle option. We would only be travelling Our girl who is a 16hh Irish sport horse. Arethey safe and as sturdy as you'd want them to be etc?

Thanks in advance :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There's a big conflict in 3.5t vans. Horse people in general mistrust lightweight materials. They don't, for example, want to see a ramp bend slightly as a horse treads on it, even though things flexing is often safer than being completely rigid. So to provide a 3.5 conversion that meets most horse people's expectations leaves too little payload for more than one horse and sometimes not even that.

My own 3.5t is built with lightweight materials around a very solid bulkhead/partition/breastbar. It has a short ramp, which flexes. Top doors that aren't heavy enough to give a satisfying clunk as they shut. And a payload big enough for a driver, passenger and two 500kg horses.

The paintwork and finishing (stuff like sealing) were terrible, though, so I can't recommend the maker unless you have a handyman handy, like I do.

skye01

Visit site
Poorly designed, cheap materials, rusty and rotten chassis, high mileage poorly maintained original vehicles, non existent payloads .... Where do I start??

But if it is all safe and new etc so we know that high mileage etc wouldn't be an issue would they not be okay? Surely that could happen on any vehicle no? I don't know huge amounts about mechanics soo_O

twobearsarthur

Visit site
If you’re talking about the type that still look like a van personally I wouldn’t consider putting a 16hh horse in one. I wouldn’t touch one for a pony either as from what I’ve seen they aren’t particularly safe or sturdy and I’ve seen too many horses go over the open backs of them. Plus they have very limited head room for a horse of 16hh. The type that are converted to look like a box (eg Bloomfields, Kevin Parker or racemaster etc) can be fab. You’d still probably only get one 16hh horse in those for the payload though. Most have around a ton and once you factor in horse, people, equipment, petrol, water etc etc you’re fully loaded to the max.

skye01

Visit site
I know you do not have a vehicle but why are you unable to tow with your Mums set up?

the payment to get insured on her car is stupid high:( that aside even though the towing test has been dropped i think i'd quite like some training before lugging my baby about!!

RHM

Visit site
Going against the grain here. I think a bad van conversion will be safer than a bad coach built as the external walls are at least all metal!
the payload is also actually higher in vans too. They average around 1000-1100, coachbuilds are much lower. I have a coach build and got it weighed with a full tank of gas and I had 940kg left so just enough for one big horse, people and water etc.
Is your horse chunky? My 16.1 ISH wouldn’t fit comfortably in a van but I’ve seen a 16h TB fit easily.

skye01

Visit site
If you’re talking about the type that still look like a van personally I wouldn’t consider putting a 16hh horse in one. I wouldn’t touch one for a pony either as from what I’ve seen they aren’t particularly safe or sturdy and I’ve seen too many horses go over the open backs of them. Plus they have very limited head room for a horse of 16hh. The type that are converted to look like a box (eg Bloomfields, Kevin Parker or racemaster etc) can be fab. You’d still probably only get one 16hh horse in those for the payload though. Most have around a ton and once you factor in horse, people, equipment, petrol, water etc etc you’re fully loaded to the max.

Yes the van ones- I'm pretty sure the ones we have been looking at do not have an open back, i think that'd scare me a bit! We would only ever travel her, not with anyone else anyway. Mum says she has worked out payload and is fine but i feel maybe she hasn't done this correctly cause everyone is banging on about this.

skye01

Visit site
Going against the grain here. I think a bad van conversion will be safer than a bad coach built as the external walls are at least all metal!
the payload is also actually higher in vans too. They average around 1000-1100, coachbuilds are much lower. I have a coach build and got it weighed with a full tank of gas and I had 940kg left so just enough for one big horse, people and water etc.
Is your horse chunky? My 16.1 ISH wouldn’t fit comfortably in a van but I’ve seen a 16h TB fit easily.

Interesting, i've had a look at some cheaper (old) lorries and they look a lot scarier and unsteadier which is why we swayed to a van in the first place. We would make sure it was checked by a professional before travelling her in it anyways so it's not like we are going to be putting her in a sh*t box which is what i feel a lot of people think these things are???

No shes not very chunky and she is a small 16hh , my friend has one, it might be worth me loading her in it to see about the fit.

Reactions: RHM

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Not sure why people get all snobby about the van conversions, plenty of shoddy coachbuilt boxes out there and unsafe trailers too ??‍♀️.

We got one for similar reasons and we loved ours! You do need to make sure the van itself is sound, no rust, chassis is good, etc as they can like anything turn into money pits…

Then you need to be sure the conversion was done properly, so reinforced bulkhead so if you brake hard the horses don’t end up joining you in the front! Best to have either a full wall at the back or a back wall that can be collapsed in an emergency. Ours wasn’t as we bought it before they became very popular and didn’t know about it, tbh our horses never went over the back but a friends did luckily without injury. Check the floor, our old one had the original steel floor with an internal floor above it. Payload is a big one, max is likely to be around 1000-1200kg but some are much less and people have been known to take everything out and get it weighed on an empty fuel tank to get the weigh cert ?. It’s not just the horses weight, but you, passengers, tack, water, fuel which all adds up.

The tallest I put in was Skylla, last measured as 15.3hh but has probably topped out at 16hh. I wouldn’t put anything taller than her in one.
CF938B1A-E26A-4DF2-8740-3FACB43339A1.jpeg

We sold it and have gone to a trailer now I’m older (paid for my test a year before they changed the rules sob!), as it became more expensive to keep on the road (it was an 03) and I have a car that can tow now.

RHM

Visit site
Interesting, i've had a look at some cheaper (old) lorries and they look a lot scarier and unsteadier which is why we swayed to a van in the first place. We would make sure it was checked by a professional before travelling her in it anyways so it's not like we are going to be putting her in a sh*t box which is what i feel a lot of people think these things are???

No shes not very chunky and she is a small 16hh , my friend has one, it might be worth me loading her in it to see about the fit.
In that case I would ask your friend nicely if you can try her in it, might be worth driving round the block and see how you both feel!

I have no idea why people seem to crap on the vans so much. I know I would have one if my horse was smaller and it would have saved me a fortune!

skye01

Visit site
Not sure why people get all snobby about the van conversions, plenty of shoddy coachbuilt boxes out there and unsafe trailers too ??‍♀️.

We got one for similar reasons and we loved ours! You do need to make sure the van itself is sound, no rust, chassis is good, etc as they can like anything turn into money pits…

Then you need to be sure the conversion was done properly, so reinforced bulkhead so if you brake hard the horses don’t end up joining you in the front! Best to have either a full wall at the back or a back wall that can be collapsed in an emergency. Ours wasn’t as we bought it before they became very popular and didn’t know about it, tbh our horses never went over the back but a friends did luckily without injury. Check the floor, our old one had the original steel floor with an internal floor above it. Payload is a big one, max is likely to be around 1000-1200kg but some are much less and people have been known to take everything out and get it weighed on an empty fuel tank to get the weigh cert ?. It’s not just the horses weight, but you, passengers, tack, water, fuel which all adds up.

The tallest I put in was Skylla, last measured as 15.3hh but has probably topped out at 16hh. I wouldn’t put anything taller than her in one.
View attachment 86872

We sold it and have gone to a trailer now I’m older (paid for my test a year before they changed the rules sob!), as it became more expensive to keep on the road (it was an 03) and I have a car that can tow now.

Omg your girl is beautiful!! I know, people seem to hate them for some reason but i cant understate how they are any different/unsafe to old not looked after after lorries or trailers...

This is very much useful thank you so much! Mum is super paranoid about safety etc so we would get everything checked before we considered buying one but it's nice to know what we need to look out for if we do look at any! Did you prefer your van to towing? My mum hates towing so hoping a van would make things easier, and i can also take myself places when she can't make it etc as well.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Mum hated towing which is why we got it ?, plus she hated having to drive me about!

So yes I’d say we both preferred the van overall, I also think the horses travelled better in it, but this could be more because you can hear if they are moving about and adjust your driving to them better, they’re a bit further away in the trailer so you’re relying more on feel.

spacefaer

Visit site
A girl on a previous yard had one. It had a signlw sheet of plywood between her head and the horse's hind feet. So scary. ??
I've never seen a well designed, well built one. Every one I've seen has been a conversion by someone who knows very little about horses using a cheap base vehicle and blinged up with a flashy paint job.
I accept that there are obviously some good ones about but I've yet to come across one.

TreeDog

Visit site
I have recently bought a van conversion. Considered car+trailer now the rules have changed, but my commute to work would get expensive with a fuel hungry towing car.

The paint job is rubbish but it's solid. My 15.2 fits on it fine. He's quite nervous loading, we did some practice last weekend and he was clattering around on the ramp, digging at the floor, kicking (with front leg) the door in the back wall etc, so I'm glad I got a sturdy box! I had it inspected before purchase.

van 1.JPG
van 2.JPG

The ramp is heavy but I can manage it on my own. I got one with an emergency door into back area, which makes tacking up in the van easy too. I've only gone out a couple times in it so far and it's easy to drive. If I get a new job with less commuting I'd probably still keep the van as it's also nice to have space in the back for stuff like buckets, water, poop scoop and grooming kit.

I haven't had it weighed yet. Apparently it has over 1200kg payload, I'd bet that's without fuel and driver, possibly without the partition too. My 15.2 is about 500kg but lets round up to 600kg. Me + full tank of fuel is about 150kg. If I take a passenger + tack + 'stuff' lets say another 150kg, so even overestimating weight that's a max of 900kg. For one horse a basic conversion has more than enough payload.

(I'm not saying don't worry about payload at all, it's important to consider. I saw one advert saying it had over 1500kg payload, it was very easy to google the van model and that's the payload of the pre-conversion van. I asked seller what post conversion payload was and she was adamant it was 1500kg :eek: It sold the next day, I can only hope the buyer realised the actual payload wouldn't come close to 1500kg! And then there are other adverts for boxes that look more like small 7.5t where some sellers are upfront about low payloads of 400-600kg.)

DSB

Visit site
We call them "ice cream"vans and after a horrific incident involving a large colt being collected after sale,they and the transport company involved are no longer welcome on the stud.
Great for ponies,sheep and cases of wine[well restrained].

Chippers1

Visit site
Another who loves my van conversion :) admittedly it has cost me a bit recently as it's getting older but it's sturdy, has a good bulk head, isn't just a flashy paint job! It has the emergency door between the horse area and the grooms area and although it only has the half partition (so not a full wall) he's never shown any inkling to go over - mainly because it comes up quite high on him! It's so easy to drive. I only ever carry my 14hh in it as the pay load is 900kg, i'm small and don't take a lot with me either.
He has plenty of room :)
Screenshot_20220204-082653_Photos.jpg

Moogleberry

Visit site
Someone at our yard has one and is out most weekends from spring onwards doing fun and endurance rides all over the place. She only travels one 15hh horse in it, I know it’s been a bit if a money pit but think she wanted one and bought privately quickly and was unlucky.

There is a dodgy horsebox builders Facebook group which would be worth joining as some conversions are far safer than others

skye01

Visit site
Someone at our yard has one and is out most weekends from spring onwards doing fun and endurance rides all over the place. She only travels one 15hh horse in it, I know it’s been a bit if a money pit but think she wanted one and bought privately quickly and was unlucky.

There is a dodgy horsebox builders Facebook group which would be worth joining as some conversions are far safer than others

Such a shame, some people :(( Yeah, we are lucky to have a friend that knows and deals with this type of thing so he can run a full test/ check over on it! definitely worth joining that group though! Thank you :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I have one and travel my chunky 16hh Id in no problem. Drives beautifully and he travels well. I have removed the centre partition to give him more space. This also makes it easier to tack up in.
I much prefer it to towing. Much easier and feels safer. Its also handy for picking up furniture and stuff.
It's a good conversion that was checked by a mechanic who is horsey before I bought it. I've had it 5 years now.
Head height would be what I would look at, a friend tried her 16.3 in and it really didn't look big enough for him so definitely try before you buy.