Horse will not bend on the right

lucy_108

Visit site
We have recently acquired a lovely 8yo TB mare who has had a little time off in the field prior to joining us. Before this she was used for common riding and was a racer before that.

Flatwork is all completely new to her so we are keeping things simple and just trying to get her to relax, stretch and just feel happy and comfy in the arena.

Something that has come blindly apparent very quickly is that she cannot bend to the right. Before I continue she has had a full MOT: teeth, physio, saddle, shoes and vaccinations with health check. We do stretches and exercises recommended by her physio everyday.

When ridden she goes beautifully on the left rein. She will bend and move under herself, it’s all good. But on the right rein she swings her haunches in and tries to jog. If you try and gently ask her to move back over the wall she will quite literally half pass across the arena until she’s on the other rein.

I have tried gently working her in a spiralling circle but it just is not happening. There is no ears back, head up, swishing tail or anything it’s just like she does not understand that rein exists (quite possibly due to the racing)...

If she hadn’t had a complete check over I would say she was locked on one side and needed physio but we’ve ticked that box.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fanatical

Visit site
I am assuming she can bend equally both ways during the physio sessions/ carrot stretches etc? If not I'd say physical issue but that should have been flagged by physio as an issue so I'm assuming she can. In which case, I'd think it is literally a case of not understanding and not being able to bend that way as easily so she is evading. All horses are stiff on one rein more than another - ex racers tend to be worse as they are often only worked on one rein up the gallops.
Does she understand moving away from the leg sideways (as well as fwds) - after all, bend comes from the leg, so she will need to understand this. If she doesn't I'd help her to understand by teaching it on the ground first and then maybe have someone on the ground when you first introduce it on board. Baby steps - ex racers can take time to pick these things up as it is a world away from what they have known.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's quite common with ex racers to be very one sided and stiff on one rein, a friend took one on and had the same issue but with correct schooling stretches and time he came good, he ended up being a very good showing horse, I would just take it slowly and just do a bit of bending everyday, some in hand bending and lateral work might be easier to start with, as the horse only has there own weight to balance and worry about which is far easier for them.

As someone else has said you need to teach her to yield from your leg, lots of praise when she does and just do a small session everyday.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have you tried actually bending her round an object, rather like PC games or Trec? Horses often need to physically see the need for what you are asking them to do.

Mule

Visit site
Have you tried actually bending her round an object, rather like PC games or Trec? Horses often need to physically see the need for what you are asking them to do.
True and ime they find it easier to understand when they see a purpose to what you are asking them to do. I think they enjoy it more too.

Mule

Visit site
I agree with GS but If the vet okays the horse there's something else to try.
First off, this may sound obvious but make sure to use the outside hand to catch the movement as well as the inside leg.

You can also use the inside rein against the neck, in conjunction with the inside leg. I don't mean crossing it over the withers but using it as a neck rein moves the shoulders out.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You could be describing mine, but in a very mild way. Also an ex racer, 8, trained but never raced, laid off for a long time before selling. He starts every single session unable/unwilling to bend to the left. Only after I have worked to get him properly forward, for any amount of time between ten and thirty minutes depending on the day, can he bend left, and then he's as good as on the right.

I'm about to agree a bute trial with my vet to see if this is simply a training issue or a veterinary one. They are finding a lot of congenital deformity in C6/C7 in TBs now they have strong enough X rays to see it. I want to know mine is clear, as he seems to be locked in the shoulders/low in the neck.

I agree that what someone suggests above, circling round an object, in my case jump stands and poles, is helpful.

On my other horse my trainer tells me to ride with my left hand raised a few inches because he too naturally bends right and not left.

Mule

Visit site
You could be describing mine, but in a very mild way. Also an ex racer, 8, trained but never raced, laid off for a long time before selling. He starts every single session unable/unwilling to bend to the left. Only after I have worked to get him properly forward, for any amount of time between ten and thirty minutes depending on the day, can he bend left, and then he's as good as on the right.

I'm about to agree a bute trial with my vet to see if this is simply a training issue or a veterinary one. They are finding a lot of congenital deformity in C6/C7 in TBs now they have strong enough X rays to see it. I want to know mine is clear, as he seems to be locked in the shoulders/low in the neck.

I agree that what someone suggests above, circling round an object, in my case jump stands and poles, is helpful.

On my other horse my trainer tells me to ride with my left hand raised a few inches because he too naturally bends right and not left.

I've seen the research about the C6 and C7 as well. I think you may have posted about it. It was eye opening.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I'm assuming if you're on about common riding you're in central / south Scotland? I do find all the common ride horses I sit on away from the rides are very one sided -this is because they're continually ridden and galloped in straight lines across all manner of terrain and just continually pick their stronger lead. They can also become strong and set in the jaw and neck because depending who's been on board, they might have spent a lot of time fighting riders who hold on a bit.

If she's had a work up and you're pretty confident its not pain related, then there's a few exercises you can do (my heavy TB bred ISH locks to the left and I need soften her from the jaw back, and its just because she find its harder. She's also spent time hunting and common riding).

Before I list the exercises - are you anywhere near Edinburgh / the Lothians? Karon Carson teaches me and I spent weeks trying to work through this issue myself, and Karon helped me progress it with it within 20 minutes. If not, I can give you a couple of things to try.

But I would be going right back to basics her - long reining in straight lines on varied inclines / terrain to build some baseline muscles and then go from there.

LegOn

Visit site
Have you checked you?!! :p:p

Sometimes our horses are blocked or crooked because we are! Having a physio or Osteo who does both humans & horses is an eye opener - even better if they are a rider themselves! The biomechanics is unreal!!! Its worth checking out.

BunnyDog

Visit site
Slightly off topic but possibly relative to the topic.

So beyond being a pain in the backside American, I work for one of the foremost Equine Neurologists in America at one of the better University Veterinary Hospitals. You all should see what we're finding on C5-C7 on many horses....of all breeds. This is why I will not buy any horse without Neck/C Spine xrays. Even if nothing is there now, it's great to have a baseline going forward.

Secondary to that we are seeing a rise in the disease EDM. GREAT article about the experience of one of our clients here:

In case it goes to the beginning of the issue, it starts on page 32

http://read.uberflip.com/i/1089065-march-11-18-2019/33?m4=

OP- A couple questions:

1) Can she walk on a loose rein around the school to the right, without asking her to do more than just walk? Same question trot and canter?

2) Have you seen her go to the right in the field?

3) Did you do any xrays when she was purchased?

4) And @Leandy is on the same page as me, what about eyes and lunge?

Em

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Slightly off topic but possibly relative to the topic.

So beyond being a pain in the backside American, I work for one of the foremost Equine Neurologists in America at one of the better University Veterinary Hospitals. You all should see what we're finding on C5-C7 on many horses....of all breeds. This is why I will not buy any horse without Neck/C Spine xrays. Even if nothing is there now, it's great to have a baseline going forward.

Secondary to that we are seeing a rise in the disease EDM. GREAT article about the experience of one of our clients here:

In case it goes to the beginning of the issue, it starts on page 32

http://read.uberflip.com/i/1089065-march-11-18-2019/33?m4=

very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I have a wobbler (C4/5) and a friend had one too so these neuro cases are very interesting to read about .
I had to turn the article into a pdf to get it to display properly (button on the reading page does it for you, for anyone else struggling)